Love Inspired Heartsong Presents discussion

LI Heartsong Presents Author Q&A > May 4-6 Q&A with Kd. Fleming

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Welcome to our author Q&A with KD (Karen) Fleming.

I write sweet and inspirational romances with the motto "using stories of faith to share hope". I love small town settings.

My writing adventure began thanks to a friend's encouragement. And before I finished typing the first page, I knew I'd finally found my calling and that my life would never be the same.

I won the Romance Writers of America's 2012 Golden Heart® with my debut inspirational novel, Campaigning for Love.

In my pre-writer life, I was a cashier, a banker, a traffic clerk (within a publishing company--don't ask), a licensed property insurance adjuster, and an accounts receivable and payroll coordinator. But now I write full-time.

I live in west central Florida with my wonderful husband who is my typo-detecting hero. And I have been blessed with three of the most amazing and talented critique partners any writer could ask for: Carol, Dixie, and Sabrina.

KD’s latest book, Her Hometown Reporter, is a May 2015 release.

Her Hometown Reporter (Heartsong Presents) by Kd Fleming

TOBY HENDRICKS HAS THE INSIDE SCOOP ON GINA LAWSON

The reporter is looking for a story that'll be his ticket out of his small Georgia town. With her political connections, legal assistant Gina Lawson could help Toby realize his aspirations. Their friendship is just an added bonus, but falling in love isn't part of his five-year plan.

Gina's devoted to her family and community, and doesn't plan to ever leave. Though she finds her favorite reporter maddeningly irresistible, she must guard her heart. But when a betrayal of trust threatens to shatter both their dreams, will Gina and Toby learn that they share the same values after all?

Welcome, Karen! I’m opening the floor to our readers to ask questions and start our discussion.

message 2: by June (new)

June | 213 comments Hi Karen, the story sounds great. I've enjoyed all your books so far! What are your plans after Heartsong?

message 3: by Davalynn (new)

Davalynn Spencer | 150 comments Karen - I love reporter stories since I was one for several years. This one sounds great!

message 4: by K.d. (new)

K.d. Fleming (goodreadscomkd_fleming) | 25 comments Narelle wrote: "Welcome to our author Q&A with KD (Karen) Fleming.

Hi Narelle. Thank you so much for hosting me on the Q & A.

message 5: by K.d. (new)

K.d. Fleming (goodreadscomkd_fleming) | 25 comments June wrote: "Hi Karen, the story sounds great. I've enjoyed all your books so far! What are your plans after Heartsong?"

Hi June. That is so kind of you to say. I'm glad you've been enjoying the residents of Pemberly.

I sort of ended up orphaned with the closing of the Heartsong line. I have another inspirational series but we haven't found a home for it yet. My agent has me working on a book that is very near to my heart called, Painted. It is a sweet, women's fiction. Even though the faith element is not as out front, my heroine draws comfort from a support group that is hosted by a church.

It's about a widow and a famous artist who captured her journey through her grief on canvas.

There's lots of emotion on the page as she struggles to rejoin the living and carve out a life for herself without the man she thought was her soul mate.

message 6: by K.d. (last edited May 04, 2015 11:44AM) (new)

K.d. Fleming (goodreadscomkd_fleming) | 25 comments Thank you Davalynn. I've always thought that would be a neat job, but I'm an introvert so I don't think I would be very successful.

This story was a challenge in that, Kathy, our editor, did not like Toby, the reporter. She loved my sassy heroine, Gina. When I got stuck writing the story and didn't think it was working, she told me it was probably his fault. I sent her pages of how I had changed him and she told me to get over myself and finish the book because now she loved him.

I think it was a bigger accomplishment that I was able to take a character no one liked (even my critique partners)and make him the guy everyone was rooting for. I'm very proud of the way this story turned out.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 71 comments Love the sound of Painted. I hope it gets published.

What was the idea that sparked this story?

message 8: by K.d. (last edited May 05, 2015 11:07AM) (new)

K.d. Fleming (goodreadscomkd_fleming) | 25 comments Wendy wrote: "Love the sound of Painted. I hope it gets published.

What was the idea that sparked this story?"

Thank you, Wendy. I started the story before I wrote the first book that sold. I had to stop writing it because I had very specific ideas about how I wanted it to be and I honestly didn't know enough about writing to pull it off at the time. So, I studied "how-to" craft books and wrote other things, that called on other skills of writing but I always came back to it.

I'm excited that it worked out for Painted to be my current project.

The idea for the story came from an image that popped in my head of a woman sitting in the sand looking out to sea with the wind whipping her hair around her and the questions, "What if" and "Why". I tried to find a reason that explained what she was doing there which sparked more "What if's" like "What if a man notices her and he's trying to figure out what she's doing and why she's there sitting in the sand every morning."

I didn't want him to come off as a stalker so I had to give him a reason for noticing her repetitive behavior.

And, ta-da, I created the framework for a story that someone called literary fiction, which scared me to death, and that didn't work as a straight romance. It has much darker emotional elements in it than my contemporaries do.

I have 3 critique partners and the newest one asked me to describe the whole concept to her. I finally did and she dubbed it women's fiction. From there, everything fell into place in my head on what I needed to do to make it the story I'd envisioned.

And now, I'm writing like crazy to get it finished.

message 9: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Karen, you're very welcome :) Your new book project sounds fascinating and I hope you'll find a home for it soon.

message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Just ordered this book today. I can't wait to read it. :)

message 11: by K.d. (new)

K.d. Fleming (goodreadscomkd_fleming) | 25 comments Melody wrote: "Just ordered this book today. I can't wait to read it. :)"
Oh, thank you, Melody. Toby & Gina were a fun couple to write. I hope you enjoy their story.

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments I am sure I will! :)