SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > MishMash 2015: Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited May 15, 2015 11:27AM) (new)

Lauren Smith The MishMash Challenge is made up of the collective input of our members.

How it works:

Every week from now until 1 June each person will be allowed to nominate two tasks that will be included in the challenge. If we need more we will allow additional nominations until we have a total of 25 tasks.

Need some inspiration? Take a look at the previous challenges for ideas. You may nominate the same or similar tasks if you want.

Rules and Guidelines:
* A task can only involve reading 1 book. So, for example, "Read a trilogy" is not a valid task.
* No task should force members to read any specific book, author, or genre. So no tasks like "Read a romance novel" or "Read a book from the Discworld series".
* Make your task do-able for everyone. Tasks that require members to buy expensive new books or obscure titles will not be allowed. The same goes for tasks that, for example, require an author with the same name as you, or a character who lives in the same city as you. This is easy for some and impossible for others, so be considerate.
* Choose tasks where there are lots of options available. No one wants to have to choose from a list of ten books to do a task, especially if those books aren't to your taste.
* Books must be at least 150 pages long to count for the challenge, so don't nominate tasks that require shorter books, like graphic novels.

The challenge starts on 1 June, and lasts for one year.

Have fun!

Tasks so far:
1. Read a book written by an SA author(s).
2. Read a book that's title has 5 or more words.
3. Read a book that has fewer than 1000 ratings at the time you started it
4. Read a book with some kind of food, sweet or drink on the cover.
5. Read a book by an author you've never read before
6. Read a book where the main character is female
7. Read a book that had been on your To Read list for more than a year.
8. Read a book which features some form of fighting as an important element of the story.
9. Read a book with a 1 word title.
10. Read a book that's title is also a song title (the exact title). Link to the song on YouTube when completed.
11. Read a book written under a pseudonym.
12. Read a book between 150 and 200 pages long.
13. Read a book with a word in the title that appears in another book's title that you used in this challenge ("The" and "a" and other common joining words are excluded).
14. Read a book published in the month that you were born in
15. Read a book with a person or place name in the title
16. Read a book set in an actual country (not fictional) which you have never read as a setting before
17. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as yours.
18. Read a book that features a domesticated animal on the cover.
19. Read a book with the name of a mythological creature in the title.
20. Pick a book that you rated 5 stars in the last three years. Read another novel by the same author. If the book is a short story anthology featuring multiple authors, read another by the same editor.
21. Read a book whose title starts with a vowel (A, An etc. count).
22. Read book with a two-word title, where both words start with the same letter.
23. Read a book set in a hospital or a mental institution.
24. Read a book whose star rating is higher than 4 on goodreads.
25. Read a book with an insect or arachnid on the cover or in the title.

message 2: by Lauren (last edited May 04, 2015 02:27AM) (new)

Lauren Smith Just one request for this year's challenge guys - please go easy on the difficulty of the tasks you nominate. So far no one has finished the previous challenge. Since most of us read more than enough books for it, I think the problem might be the difficulty of some of the tasks, especially for those who don't have the time or inclination to read certain kinds of books. I think maybe we get a bit overambitious when we first nominate tasks, without thinking about whether we really want to do them.

I'm not saying that you should make it so ridiculously easy that there's no challenge, just go for tasks that everyone can adjust to their tastes so we all have a better chance of experiencing the pleasure of finishing a long challenge, and can have fun doing it, instead of being forced to read something we don't want to.

I'm not going to enforce this, beyond the usual rules, I'm just asking you to keep it in mind.

message 3: by Lu (last edited May 04, 2015 09:28AM) (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
1. Read a book written by an SA Author(s).

2. Read a book that's title has 5 or more words.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
3. Read a book that has fewer than 1000 ratings at the time you started it

4. Read a book with two different types of animals on the cover

message 5: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments 5. Read a book by an author you've never read before
6. Read a book where the main character is female

message 6: by Varla Fiona (last edited May 05, 2015 02:16AM) (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
7. Read a book that had been on your To Read list for more than a year.

8. Read a book which features some form of fighting as an important element of the story.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Can you give a definition for "a long time"? E.g. at least two years.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
9. Read a book with a 1 word title.
10. Read a book that's title is also a song title (the exact title). Link the youtube video when completed.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "10. Read a book that's title is also a song title (the exact title). Link the youtube video when completed."

Does it have to be a song with a video, or can we link to something else if it's a song without a video?

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Just asked, and youtube has videos that are just songs. Not all songs have videos, but they will still be something on youtube. The goal is to not get a song that is too obscure and unknown.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, thanks!

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 11. Read a book written under a pseudonym.
12. Read a book between 150 and 200 pages long.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's been a week since 1 May, so you may all nominate another two tasks.

message 14: by Janice (last edited May 08, 2015 10:57AM) (new)

13. Read a book with a word in the title that appears in another book's title that you used in this challenge ("The" and "a" and other common joining words are excluded).

14. Read a book published in the month that you were born in

message 15: by Carolien (last edited May 08, 2015 10:43AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2042 comments Mod
15 Read a book with a person or place name in the title
16 Read a book set in an actual country (not fictional) which you have never read as a setting before

@Janice, for 13 must the word be in another title which you yourself use for the challenge or can it be a book used by anybody during the challenge?

message 16: by Janice (new)

That you used. I'll edit it to include that.

message 17: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
17. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as yours.
18. Read a book that features a domesticated animal on the cover.

message 18: by Lauren (last edited May 09, 2015 11:52AM) (new)

Lauren Smith 19. Read a book with the name of a mythological creature in the title.
20. Pick a book that you rated 5 stars in the last three years. Read another novel by the same author. If the book is a short story anthology featuring multiple authors, read another by the same editor.

message 19: by Janice (new)

My task #4 is a bit too similar to task #18. Could I please change it to:

4. Read a book with something edible on the cover.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Will do.

Just thinking – should I change that to "food, sweet or drink on the cover"? Because I take it that you mean things people normally eat and not anything that you technically could eat, like a person? :D

message 21: by Janice (new)

Haha, sure you can change it

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's totally the kind of loophole I would exploit when I'm struggling to finish :)

message 23: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2042 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "It's totally the kind of loophole I would exploit when I'm struggling to finish :)"

Don't discriminate against cannibals here...

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith :) Well, if any cannibal would like to raise an objection...

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
21. Read a book whose title starts with a vowel (A, An etc. count).
22. 2 word title, where both words start with the same letter.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Let's wrap this up :) Everyone can nominate ONE more task. We only need three.

message 27: by Janice (new)

23. Read a book set in a hospital or a mental institution

message 28: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
24. Read a book that's star rating is higher than 4 on goodreads

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 25. Read a book with an insect or arachnid on the cover or in the title.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith And we're done! Go do your planning! :)