Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Alister E. McGrath

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Anderson (davidandersonauthor) | 13 comments Why have so many of Alister E. McGrath's books been delisted and now come up under "deleted author"? Only about seven of his titles are left but he's written dozens!

message 2: by Krazykiwi (last edited May 04, 2015 12:30AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Probably because someone has not read the librarian manual and made edits that aren't allowed.

If you can list the affected books, we can fix them.

ETA: Never mind, I found them.

message 4: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments This is way bigger than just some bad edits, it looks like some kind of database meltdown, and it'll be pretty hard to fix since he has hundreds of books.

So I flagged some of the books for staff to look at. Which is to say, we're on it, but it might take a while before it's all fixed (I did at least correct the ones you listed though)

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13655 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "This is way bigger than just some bad edits, it looks like some kind of database meltdown, and it'll be pretty hard to fix since he has hundreds of books. "

What happened, Kiwi? I thought somebody had just deleted Alister McGrath instead of merging him with Alister E. McGrath. Which is bad enough, but is it even worse than that?

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments That's pretty much what it looks like happened, but there isn't any way for a normal librarian to just delete an author that I know of. And I can't imagine any staff doing it, so it's something else.

I have made a list of the affected books below in the spoiler. It's really hard to fix because you can't do "all editions" on any of these books, so you can't really see which ones have been fixed without going from the combine page and looking at every edition of every book in order. And it's a LOT of books. So I'm going to put this on hold until Rivka's seen this, I think.

(I don't know when this happened either; at present, the books still show in the search results if you search for Alister E. McGrath, but since you can't search for no author or deleted author, and the GR search and caching can be a little eccentric at the best of times, I figured making a list wouldn't hurt.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by lethe (last edited May 04, 2015 02:48AM) (new)

lethe | 13655 comments Oh my, this is really bad. And you're right, there isn't a delete button on an author profile (at least not one visible to us mere mortals).

It must have happened over the weekend, I think? Somebody complained about a deleted profile in a thread in the 'language and translation issues' folder. That was probably a merge, so I don't think it's related, but I asked for more info anyway.

Let's hope rivka sees this soon.

ETA rivka wrote this as a reply to something else: "To clarify, there is no way from the front end to delete author profiles -- only to merge.

They can sometimes be deleted from the backend, so email those to Support." https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by David (new)

David Anderson (davidandersonauthor) | 13 comments Thanks for your help. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
These look like the results of a bad import -- in 2014.

Editing them to add the correct author is safe enough, but I will also see if someone can take a look at them.

message 10: by David (new)

David Anderson (davidandersonauthor) | 13 comments They were fine until a day or two ago, when I noticed that, instead of coming up alphabetically (under McGrath) in my display of My Books (read), they were showing up at the very beginning of the list as "deleted author", something I'd never seen before.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Very odd.

Thanks for the additional information.

message 12: by lethe (last edited May 06, 2015 01:54AM) (new)

lethe | 13655 comments rivka, on 30 April a librarian did some editing on a number of McGrath books. Krazykiwi thought that perhaps the 'deleted author' was the result of a merging that timed out server-side.

message 13: by David (new)

David Anderson (davidandersonauthor) | 13 comments 30 April sounds exactly right.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

These should all be fixed.

message 15: by lethe (last edited May 13, 2015 10:00AM) (new)

lethe | 13655 comments Ah, that looks a lot better!

Do you know what caused it?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The underlying issue is still being investigated. Meanwhile, a developer fixed the affected books from the backend.