Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's April Audio books - my month of listening

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments I had seven audio books in April and each was rewarding to listen to in several ways, great discussions, thought provoking ideas, and history that shouldn't be forgotten. My perspectives on life took a nice boost this month. The Good House and The Nightingale were my favorites.
World Gone By
Reconstructing Amelia
The Nightingale
Flash and Bones
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
The Stranger
The Good House
Lehane, Dennis World Gone By Finished 4/3/2015 on Audio rank 9 of 10
I loved The Given Day,the first book about the Coughlin family and I enjoyed the second book, Live by Night; both were sweeping family sagas brimming with the conflicts between good and evil, with finely drawn details about the political, ethnic and racial tensions in the early twentieth century spanning the United States and Cuba. World Gone By brings some closure and adds a measure of reflection on the price paid for power and money and excess; less sweeping and seeking, and more introspective and ultimately, simply sad. There isn't a sense of idealism, or rich expansion, or of the "somewhat victim-less" crime of bootlegging during prohibition. There isn't a happy ending, or a small sense of justice, or loyalty. In the end, this book seems smaller as Joe Coughlin looks inside himself and doesn't really like what he sees, but ultimately can't look away or move away from the past.

McCreight, Kimberly Reconstructing Amelia finished 4/5/2015 on Audio and Kindle rank 9.5 of 10
It's hard to say much about this book without revealing too much, so instead I will mention how it made me feel, deeply and achingly about these characters. The emotions are high and the promise is so great that the events tug and tear at your heart. I may write more later, for now I will simply highly recommend it and the audio especially. Amelia's voice was so clear and bright as I listened she felt like she was right there in the room with me.

Hannah, Kristin The Nightingale finished 4/9/2015 on Audio rank 9.75 of 10
This is a riveting book, hard to put down, hard to leave it after finishing, and hard to contemplate the depth of the horrors so many people suffered at the hands of the Nazi's in occupied France. The sisters portrayed are such brave and determined women, their stories are beautifully told, immersing us into this harsh and trying situation where against unbelievable odds and through horrendous conditions, the Nightingale landed again and again, and little by little specks of hope flamed into the Allied victory. I am so glad I read this book, one of several I have recently read about women during WW II. The perspectives in each should never be forgotten, and the events never repeated

Reichs, Kathy Flash & Bones Temperance Brennan #14 finished 4/14/2015 on Audio rank 9 of 10
Catching up with the series. Not my favorite installment, but then I like the ones set in North Carolina the least. I am not sure why.

Strayed, Cheryl Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail finished 4/20/2015 on Audio rank 9.5 of 10
As I listened I was totally absorbed and found myself traveling along on the trail with Cheryl, though without the blisters and the extreme conditions; I could imagine better weather and a better food selection. Her introspection, determination and growth were thought provoking and fascinating to witness. On to the movie.

Coben, Harlan The Stranger finished 4/22/2015 on Audio rank 8 of 10
Not a terrible book, but not a great book; the ending was closure to a story that never fully engaged me, but one that once I started it for a group read, I was curious to find out how it turned out. I can't say that I was uplifted or enlightened or improved by the reading, though contemporary references to parenting, marriage and relationships, corporate greed, privacy and team sports were topical. The best part has been the discussion here under the group read banner. What fun dissecting the story has been!

Leary, Ann The Good House finished 4/26/2015 on Audio rank 9.25 of 10
I found this book to be a fabulous audio, Mary Beth Hurt is wonderful for the narration, giving voice to Hildy Goode, who is a mature woman with an acerbic manner and in denial that she could be an alcoholic, even though she was given an intervention by her family and spent time in rehab. Many of the characters share generations of history in this small New England seaside town, and that, along with day to day tensions make for a fascinating portrait of life and the many emotions we experience. It is almost painful, no, it is painful to read of the details of Hildy's drinking, but it is compelling.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments What an interesting selection, Ann! What was it like to read two WWII books in close proximity to one another?

I agree, it was great fun reading The Stranger with the gang.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Carol: I think this is the fourth WWII book I have read in fairly close proximity (this year) and I have found that each of them adds to my understanding of the others.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "What an interesting selection, Ann! What was it like to read two WWII books in close proximity to one another?
I agree, it was great fun reading The Stranger with the gang."

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments great month, ann. i loved the nightingale- agree that it was hard to put down and took awhile to leave my head when i finished.

message 5: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Very good month, Ann. All audio, and no print at all?

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Ann, I love reading your reviews. I'm not sure I want to
read another Holocaust book, at least right now.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you liked The Good House- the audio was so good. :)

I have to read Hannah's latest. She is such a good writer.

Great month!

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Great month!! I sometimes wish I liked audios more. My commute is longer than it used to be, so I might try something again soon. The only audios I've ever liked were the Harry Dresden books. James Marsters is such a great narrator for that series!

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Great month, despite the audio, lol! Polar opposite of me on Reconstructing Amelia, almost makes me want to re-read it (attempt the audio). The Nightingale and The Good House are on my list.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Dan: Not exactly no print, however all the books I finished were audio books with a supplemental Kindle follow along on the Reconstructing Amelia audio, and print reading of Cold Cold Heart that didn't end up with a finished book to list yet.

Dan in AZ wrote: "Very good month, Ann. All audio, and no print at all?"

message 11: by Ann (last edited May 04, 2015 08:55PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Thanks! I know what you mean about another Holocaust book, Amy. I avoided it at first, but actually started another similar book today. A city-wide read of Between Shades of Gray pulled me back in. This time Russian work camps in Siberia 1941.

Amy wrote: "Good month Ann, I love reading your reviews. I'm not sure I want to
read another Holocaust book, at least right now."

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Melodie: yes! James Marsters is terrific as narrator for Harry Dresden! After listening to the early books I can't miss the audio versions.

message 13: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Good month, I wish I liked audio.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Lol, Liz - they say, "your mileage may vary". :)
I do know audio books may make me stick with a book longer than I might with print.
LizH wrote: "Great month, despite the audio, lol! Polar opposite of me on Reconstructing Amelia, almost makes me want to re-read it (attempt the audio). The Nightingale and The Good House are on my list."

message 15: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Ann, interesting point!

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Looks like a great month for you. I'm sure all your walking has helped with the audios. A few of them are on my list to be read.

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Ann, I picked up an audio of The Dream Lover A Novel of George Sand by Elizabeth Berg The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand on eBay for a really good price. This is one of Shomeret's reads for April. I'll see if it holds my interest. My commute to work is longer now, so maybe. I thought you said you were interested in this one, so when I'm done you can listen to it, if you'd like!

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Thanks Melodie! I am interested in The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand, it looks intriguing. I just might take you up on the loan, though the library has the audio on order so I can probably get it there instead. I thought that they had started getting audio books around the same day as print books, but it looks like that isn't the case here.
I'm sorry your commute is longer, but audio books do make those minutes (or in my case hour plus minutes) good times each day.

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks Melodie! I am interested in The Dream Lover: A Novel of George Sand, it looks intriguing. I just might take you up on the loan, though the library has the audio on order so I..."

funny story about that one. when I saw the penquin first picks a few months back I wanted to read this book but had to pick and choose because my pts were getting low. so decided not to get this as a for sure pick. then one day when I was moving the bags of books out of the way so I can go on the exercise bikes I looked down and was moving one of the bags of books that I had won I guess last time for the shore book reading contest and what is sitting second book down but this book. so I owe it already. I'm hoping to read this one at some point. I have always enjoyed elizabeth berg's books in the past. I'm hoping this will be one of my shore reads this summer.