Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1)
This topic is about The Emperor's Edge
Group Reads > May/June 2015 Group Read: The Emperor's Edge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (last edited May 03, 2015 07:33PM) (new) - added it

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments We are reading The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1) by Lindsay Buroker The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

Discuss here!

Marina Finlayson | 62 comments I enjoyed this one. I liked how it was "epic" without the emphasis being on swordplay and battles.

message 3: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new) - added it

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Marina wrote: "I enjoyed this one. I liked how it was "epic" without the emphasis being on swordplay and battles."

I am looking forward to this one the most out of our three group reads this month. I'm glad you liked it, I can't wait to read it.

Eliene | 43 comments I read this one a few years back. It was a quick, fun read with characters that were easy to love!
I agree with Marina that it was refreshing to read about behind the scenes planning and plotting done by the characters versus actual fighting. There was plenty of action but it wasn't the focus.

Gary | 1470 comments I started in on this one last Friday I think.

Interesting.

It's very fast paced, and I just finished Cherryh's Invader, which makes for something of a jarring transition. Even were that juxtaposition not a factor, however, I think I'd find the pace of this one a little unsettling. The plot feels quite rushed to me, and it reads to me as if that pace comes at the cost of the characters. That is, the exposition and attitudes are sometimes glossed in favor of some rather simplistic "personality markers" rather than character development.

For instance, the lead, Amaranthe, has a bunch of OCD type thoughts. A book on the edge of the desk makes her want to move it, so it won't fall off. She puts down a piece of paper and centers it. Stuff like that.

However, she very quickly agrees to do a political assassination for a promotion. She struggles briefly, but without much real depth or development. The plot, you see, has to move along, so having her struggle with the idea, or come up with her own plan to capture rather than assassinate wouldn't do. Further, later in the book people agree to help her for little more than room & board. So, she's assembling her little motley band of rogues--all of whom have great hidden talents--on little more than her goodwill.

The world building is, so far, interesting. However, at this point most of it is taken as read. Women, it seems, are the economic/business caste, though caste might be too strong a term given that it appears to have no more force than social convention. I'm not 100% convinced by the technology/cultural factors. So, there are giant pyramids that represent a kind of real estate black hole until someone figures out that they can be tourist attractions. Cute, but that reference has an awful lot of real world implications, and I'm not yet convinced that the author is concerned with that kind of thing.

I'm not real confident that the plot to (view spoiler) makes a lot of sense, but I may be missing a few dynamics or they may not have been presented as of yet.

So, jury still out.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Emperor's Edge (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lindsay Buroker (other topics)