Horror Aficionados discussion

The Audio Zone > May 2015 Group Audio Suggestion

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Hello, everyone!

I apologize for the delay in getting this topic underway so, let's jump to it.

What do you want to listen to this May?

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellylynch1976) | 3 comments Hey Ms. Nikki. I truly wish that Edward Lee had some audiobooks, as his books are nearly impossible to get at libraries or stores over here in Australia.
I do like Clive Barker, but a lot of his audiobooks available are in terrible quality.
Perhaps Graham Masterton's newly released catalog of audiobooks. I know a lot of people would enjoy those!
The Pariah is a good start.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Rox | 40 comments How about "Ghost Road Blues" by Jonathan Mayberry? Sounds pretty intetesting!

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellylynch1976) | 3 comments Ghost Road Blues by Mayberry I have the audiobook of this, have not listened to it yet, Kim.

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Ward (timothycward) Breakers by Edward Robertson or Yesterday's Gone by Sean Platt.

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
My life as a white trash zombie. I've been wanting to relisten to it sooo bad but I wanted to wait to suggest it. I can't link to it on my tablet but I'll put it up later.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I have no suggestions because I'm out of audiobooks. But if like to join in. Anything dark and atmospheric works great for audio from my perspective

message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi | 6 comments Something by Richard Matheson - Richard Matheson's Hell House by Richard Matheson or A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson ?

message 9: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Ghost Road was a good read. I haven't had a chance to read White Trash or Yesterday's Gone.

Edward Lee would be nice to listen to.

I'm listening to Imajica by Clive now.

message 10: by John (last edited May 04, 2015 07:46AM) (new)

John Matsui (johnmatsui) | 22 comments Two audiobooks that I've come across recently that I can recomend are:
1. The Strain (The Strain Trilogy #1)
by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan
It's an interesting take on an old theme with a good mystery to start. I can't get into it more without being a spoiler.
2. The Ruins
by Scott Smith
This is a creepy, original horror tale that just creates tension early on and just builds from there. Both are well written, have good characterization and excellent execution and narration as audiobooks.
One audiobook I wouldn't recommend is
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller. It's a novel originally written in 1959 and was on "to read" lists as a classic tale of horror.
Maybe it was the aloof quality of the British narrator's voice, but I just couldn't get into the story, the mood, or have much sympathy with the characters.
I'd welcome any comments from those who disagree. Did I miss something?

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Audible does seem to have a number of Edward Lee titles available unabridged, though I haven't listened to any of them, so I can't speak to the quality of them.

I'll try one more time this month on my standing recommendation of Michael McBride's Burial Ground, and if it falls short again this month I'll find another nomination :-).

message 13: by Joe (new)

Joe Augustyn I have about a dozen free codes for my audiobook DEAD RAIN: A TALE OF THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE if anyone is interested email me directly at: Joe-Augustyn at comcast dot net and I'll send a code and instructions. Thanks.

Dead Rain: A Tale of the Zombie Apocalypse

message 14: by Julissa (last edited May 04, 2015 10:47AM) (new)

message 15: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Robert wrote: "Audible does seem to have a number of Edward Lee titles available unabridged, though I haven't listened to any of them, so I can't speak to the quality of them.

I'll try one more time this month o..."

I totally forgot that I saw the Edward Lee titles for audio. Thanks for bringing that up, Robert!

And Robert, if it doesn't make it, I have made a Buddy Listen page where you can see if anyone would like to join you.

message 16: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I'll give it till the end of the day for any more suggestion and then we can put it to a vote.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Nelson (pauln) | 104 comments I listen to loads of audio. How about these
Michaelbrent Collings - Loon or Strangers or Darkbound 

Bentley Little - The Influence

Glen Krisch - The Nightmare Within 

Gord Rollo - The Jigsaw Man

Bryan Smith - The Dark Ones

Scott Smith - The Ruins

John Connolly - Every Dead Thing

Michael Bray - Dark Corners

Tim Lebbon - Beserk

message 18: by Amberfaye (new)

Amberfaye Latasha wrote: "My life as a white trash zombie. I've been wanting to relisten to it sooo bad but I wanted to wait to suggest it. I can't link to it on my tablet but I'll put it up later."

I bought this book during one of the major Audible book sales. I just actually downloaded it to my phone to read this week. I know the author, I went to high school with her niece. I'm totally in favor of reading this with a group. If only to have more people to talk to about it.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
That's awesome Amber. I luvvvvvvv the series!

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I've been meaning to try some Michaelbrent Collings - I can get a lot of his for $2 since I alr5eady own the Kindle versions.

message 21: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I just grabbed the first 3 that were mentioned more than once. Don't be disappointed if yours wasn't picked. There's always next month and you can suggest it on the Buddy Listen page.

You can find the poll here>
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

We'll give the voting 2 days.

message 22: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments As of this moment the prices are:
The Ruins $9.99 ebook plus $12.99 audio or $27.99 audible

My Life as a White Trash Zombie - $5.99 ebook plus $3.99 audio or $12.56 audible

and lastly,

Ghost Road Blues- $3.82 ebook plus $2.99 audio or $17.62 audible

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex | 32 comments Deliver Us From Evil by Ralph Sarchie. It looks deliciously scary!!!!!

message 24: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Paul wrote: "I listen to loads of audio. How about these
Michaelbrent Collings - Loon or Strangers or Darkbound 

Bentley Little - The Influence

Glen Krisch - The Nightmare Within 

Gord Rollo - The Jigsaw Man..."

I just bought Jigsaw Man if you want to buddy read it. Buddy listen? Whatever.

message 25: by Paul (new)

Paul Nelson (pauln) | 104 comments Yeah ok I've got the black dahlia on the go at the moment but should be done for next week.

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I might be interested in joining for Jigsaw Man also, having just taken advantage of the reduced price audio to go with my existing Kindle version. I've already heard 2 of the 3 nominees for the group listen.

message 27: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Next week works for me.

message 28: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Potential buddy read...Awesome!

message 29: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Come out and play!!!

message 30: by Amberfaye (new)

Amberfaye Ms. Nikki the poll keeps directing me to a poll made by Goodreads. Help?

message 31: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Amberfaye, the link takes me to the poll. If you are still being rerouted, just go to the audio zone and find the discussion there. I'm on my phone or I would post another link.

message 32: by Scot (new)

Scot | 639 comments Amberfaye, if you are on mobile it has been know to send you to the wrong link.

message 33: by Carrie (last edited May 08, 2015 01:51PM) (new)

Carrie | 4 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the White Trash series. I just finished "How the White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back" just this morning. It's the fourth book and just maybe the best of the series so if "White Trash" appeals to you at all, read/listen and enjoy a great series with a refreshing take on how Zombies roll.

message 34: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I have opened a discussion for May's group listen, Ghost Road Blues. You can find it here>
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 35: by Charles (new)

Charles Keith Hardman (ckhardman) | 17 comments Right now I am listening to my next book of short writings. It is a good way to edit a book if anyone wants to know?