YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
173 views
Archives > What are your thoughts on teen abortion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 9 comments There's still a stigma with abortion - even though the Supreme Courted ruled it was legal decades ago.

To this day, the nation is divided.

What do you think about a teen girl who becomes pregnant and opts for abortion?

And if you suggest she put the child up for adoption - consider that her stomach will grow and people will constantly assume she's keeping it. When they ask her the inevitable questions like, "What will you name it?" or "Do you want a boy or girl?" she will most likely feel the need to explain to these people (sometimes strangers) that she's giving it up - which is none of their business.

Also...the guy who gets her pregnant never has to deal with any of that.

I ask because I am writing a book on this subject now and would like to hear your thoughts.


message 2: by Sydnie (new)

Sydnie (squydnie) | 1 comments Not only does their stomachs grow and people ask invasive questions but they also have to have this child grow inside of them and not everyone is strong enough to give that up. Sometimes it's easier to have an abortion knowing you won't become attached.


message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Scott | 2393 comments I personally wouldn't do it, because I hate the thought of taking away an innocent life. However, I completely understand why so many people can't go through with it. It must be an awful experience. Then that child has to grow up without knowing who its parents are. Plus, what if you attach bad memories with that? Like if it came from rape


message 4: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 9 comments Interesting replies - and helpful. TY
(Helps me when wrinting. :))


Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
I don't like abortion as such, if i was a doctor i would never be able to actually carry the act out, but likewise if i were a pregnant teen I would be beyond scared. the idea of carrying a baby you don't want, and absolutely everyone knowing about it, would make me not want to leave the house for a year. there is no way I'd be able to face people. and I can't imagine pregnancy would be any nicer if you didn't even want to keep the baby.

that being said I've read books in which the main character has an abortion, and i have to say that i don't like it when the character acts very uncaringly towards it. when they have an abortion and don't seem to care that they have had an abortion, and just go right back to their previous ways, that really upsets me. fair enough if the character wants to have an abortion, fair enough if she feels relieved, but she should also care that what she did wasn't without consequence - the end of an innocent life.


message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Sarah wrote: "I don't like abortion as such, if i was a doctor i would never be able to actually carry the act out, but likewise if i were a pregnant teen I would be beyond scared. the idea of carrying a baby yo..."

I agree 100% with this.

When having an abortion, one should also consider the risks - I never see this in books. There are risks and I really think they play an important role in this as well.

Personally, I'd never have an abortion. I've always had this opinion so it's not because I'm now 25. That being said, it's legal and up to people themself to decide and I hope, no matter what they choose, that they have a supportive network :)


message 7: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 9 comments What risks?


message 8: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 9 comments There are risks - as with any procedure but as this link states:
Complications (problems) rarely occur after this procedure. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/en...


message 9: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 2367 comments Actually the state of Ohio just past the law that makes it illegal to kill anything with a beating heart.


message 10: by Abbie (last edited May 04, 2015 02:58PM) (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
I don't think I could ever have an abortion, but i can understand why other people (especially teenagers) would go with that option.

Getting bigger and bigger and having all the questions from people who think you're keeping it would be hard, and it would be awful to have to explain yourself every time someone didn't agree with you giving the baby up for adoption.
Keeping it when you don't really want the child would just end up being bad for the parent and the child, as the parent may end up resenting the child for being born. (This has happened in quite a few books)

As sarah said, i hate when people in books have abortions and don't think anything of it. When i was at school, a girl sitting in front of me was loudly talking to her friend about being pregnant and that she was going to get rid of it. She didn't seem to care at all, and she said it so casually that it was like she was saying she was going to the shops.


message 11: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 2367 comments This is how I see it as. People want murders who kill babies to sentence to death. I feel like its wrong to do that when women get abortion. Thats almost the same thing. Who knows maybe someone would want that baby who can't have children? I disagree with people protesting they don't really get anything done they just make the problem worse. I understand why they would want people to notice the problem but there are other ways to do it.


message 12: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 2367 comments Kimberley wrote: "What risks?"

I know a person who's mom tried to abort him and it failed now he has mental disabilities like adhd and bioploar disorders.


message 13: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Johnson (arkkimberley) | 9 comments These replies are helping me to write a more detailed story - thank all of you!!!


message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I can understand both sides of the argument regarding abortion, and while I could never see myself making the decision to abort, I believe every woman has the right to that choice.
Sometimes adoption isn't that easy of a choice. You get attached to the baby, you have to deal with the social isolation as a teenager, and regardless of age a pregnancy could put any pregnant woman at risk for health complications, especially if that pregnant woman is a young, tiny teenager.


message 15: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
I think a lot of it is about support as well. My mother is so opinionated and scary, that even now i wouldn't want to tell her that i was pregnant. if i had been pregnant at 16 I'd have been moving out before telling my mother that i was pregnant. i seriously could not do it. this may sound ridiculous, but telling my mother that I was pregnant was the scariest thing I have ever done in my life, and my mouth would not even work. I get really jealous when a character in a book is able to tell their mother that they are pregnant and ask for support, because i have never had that.


message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments :( So sorry to hear that Sarah *hugs*


message 17: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
my mother is one scary lady! my school friends used to be terrified of her.


message 18: by Ivy (new)

Ivy (alwaysivy) I think that abortion is an option that shouldn't be ruled out. It should be the choice of the person that is going through the pregnancy, not anyone else's.

If there are going to be complications with the pregnancy, abortion could be the safest way. Also the act of actually having a child, especially at a young age, puts strain on the body. It could be dangerous to keep a child if you are not physically able to maintain it within you. If abortion weren't an option, I fear that some people may come to loathe and regret having a child. Something that the child shouldn't be subjected to.

There is a certain point at which abortions are no longer acceptable. When the child is more developed, I believe that the only time abortion is alright is when the child is going to be stillborn and/or harming the mother. Otherwise, I don't believe they will allow you to actually proceed with an abortion if you are too far along.


message 19: by Ammo (new)

Ammo (ammo101) | 111 comments I personally am extremely pro-choice. I mean, who are you to tell a young woman what she can or cannot do with her body? I don't think that teenage girls (most of them) are physically or emotionally mature enough for all the responsibilities that come with having a child. No one should judge girls who have abortions. You're basically judging them for choosing to live their lives instead of be tied to a child because of a stupid mistake (underage sex) or something that wasn't even their fault (rape).


message 20: by Eva (last edited May 14, 2015 03:54AM) (new)

Eva (crookedkaz) | 55 comments I agree with Ammo (probably because she is my close friend and we hang around a lot). As long as the child is not very close to birth, I believe that a woman or not even- a teenager/girl has the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. It is not YOUR baby and you don't have to look after it, she does. Instead of finishing school, going to university or getting a job, she could try to go back later, but she will always have that child for the next 18 years of her life. I would rather that a unprepared teenager not have a child, than maybe she abuse it, leave it or just insufficiently look after it because she is immature and not mentally ready. If the baby was the result of her partying and bad what's too say that she won't continue and the poor child could have a horrible life.

There are so many things that could go wrong with an unprepared girl having a baby, so if she feels the need to get rid of it, then that should be supported and accepted, as well as if she wants to keep it.

As Ammo also said, the baby may not even be her fault (rape) and in keeping it she could bring up hard memories, and even by psychologically unstable.


message 21: by Kysa (new)

Kysa | 3 comments No. Not at all. Never. I don't care the circumstances. It's not right.


message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I agree with Kyra! Coming from a 17 year old who has miscarried not once but twice and has finally gotten pregnant I will never get an abortion!


message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments Kysa*


message 24: by Mia (new)

Mia | 11 comments I'm personally strongly pro choice (although I totally understand and respect the other side of the argument!). I believe that it should be a woman/girls choice what they do with THEIR bodies, especially if going through with the pregnancy will have a negative effect on their life. I do realize that abortion is really sad and shouldn't be taken lightly, but I think a woman's right to have control over her life and her body is more important.


message 25: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "I agree with Kyra! Coming from a 17 year old who has miscarried not once but twice and has finally gotten pregnant I will never get an abortion!"

Congratulations Heather! The treatments for your brain tumour aren't going to affect the baby are they? Are you hoping for a girl or a boy? So exciting!


message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments It won't mess with it and I'm hoping for a boy so we can honor his little cousin who passed at the age of 2 weeks old.


message 27: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Oh! So sad ☹ I hope everything goes well for you!


message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments Thanks!! Even if it's a girl she will be in beauty pageants like her mommy!


message 29: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
That would be fun ☺ They have the most adorable little outfits for the girls to wear in pageants, although I don't like the make-up.


message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I do semi glitz pageants so no make up that's super heavy for sure!!


message 31: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
How's the morning sickness?


message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments Horrible!! I have a stomach ulcer too and it's making it worse. I'm reading a book where the girl is my age and has an abortion...I almost decided to stop reading it altogether because it breaks my heart!


message 33: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Some topics are just too sensitive. I can't read anything about child abuse because it just makes me feel sick.


message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I can't take reading about rape either.


message 35: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
yep, that's not nice. kids dying is nasty too.


message 36: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83335 comments Mod
Renee wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Some topics are just too sensitive. I can't read anything about child abuse because it just makes me feel sick."

I can't either. I tried A Child Called It, and couldn't do it."


I know someone who reads all of those sort of books, and I just don't get how she can do it.


message 37: by Anna Serene (new)

Anna Serene (anna_serene) Here's my take on it: I believe that women should have the right to choose. HOWEVER, I don't think that it should be an "easy" decision. There comes a point when if you make a mistake you need to deal with the consequences UNLESS you are bringing a child into a dangerous or unstable situation. I have had two friends who have gotten pregnant at very young ages. One was 13 when she got pregnant with twins, (by an 18 year old man-consensual but still statutory rape) By the time I met her she was four months pregnant with a two year old sister she was essentially already the mother of. On top of all that, she was in foster care and my friend's mom became her foster mother. She did not choose to have an abortion, but I think that it would be perfectly understandable if she HAD chosen that route simply because of her age, her situation, and her family.

More recently, my friend was 18 when she got pregnant from her on-again/off-again boyfriend, even while she was on birth control. Honestly, if she had chosen to have an abortion (which she didn't) I would have a hard time approving of that. The person that she was before she got pregnant was an irresponsible, flaky, and juvenile girl, and getting pregnant made her grow up and realize that she needed to deal with the consequences of her actions. She had never taken any responsibility before, always blaming someone else for everything that went wrong in her life. Somehow, getting pregnant made her wake up and become an adult (mostly). Now she has a little baby boy (who is adorable in a batman onesie-w/ a cape!-that I bought him btw) and is trying to make it work with her boyfriend-turned-fiance and is even prepared if it doesn't work out.

However, if it is under the circumstances of rape, I strongly believe that it is completely up to the woman. If she chooses to have an abortion or keep the child/give it up for adoption that is her choice. And no matter what her decision is, it is going to be painful. Right and wrong have nothing to do with it. Its just painful. Sometimes people who have been raped who have abortions feel as though they have been raped a second time. I actually wrote a poem in the form of a myth that you all can check out if you'd like here about a situation similar to this. It is about the power of choice and the injustice of it being taken away. Maybe it will help.


message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie_vore) While I am very against abortion and will never support it, I also understand that it is not MY body so I do not (nor should I) have any control over someone else's body - I don't know the whole story behind the pregnancy so I have no room to judge.

When my birth mother was pregnant with me, she had the chance to abort me or "keep" me. Because she made the more difficult choice to continue with her pregnancy, I was brought into this world and adopted by a woman who was unable to get pregnant and just wanted to have a baby. Not all stories are like mine, but by her taking responsibilities for her actions and giving birth to me, she gave a great miracle to someone who otherwise would not have been able to have children.

"Then that child has to grow up without knowing who its parents are"

^ That comment bothered me a bit because it makes it seem like growing up with parents other than your birth parents is this horrible thing. Yes I am curious about my birth parents, yes I want to know who they are, but they gave me a better life than they ever could have by giving me away and I will be forever grateful for that.


message 39: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 994 comments Honestly, I think Abortion is wrong and it is basically killing the baby as well as depriving it of its choice to live. That is my opinion and it is to do with my feelings. I probably won't have an abortion no matter the circumstances. However I have no right to judge other people's situations or choices in the matter.
After all women have a right to do what they think is right at the time. It is their body and they can do what they want with it. Their are a lot of problems with keeping the baby as well as some people are not financially stable, while others get kicked out of their homes especially if they are very young.
I personally think that no one whether its a male or female should be forced into doing something they don't want to do. That includes close relatives, family members, own parents. They can guide and advise but, at the end its the person who has to deal with it personally's choice and I respect any choice that people make.


message 40: by Randall (new)

Randall S. Davis (randalls) I'm wondering about something.

Has the legality of abortion supported the rise in pregnancies? I've been around for a long time and I once had a student who at graduation told me she might be pregnant. Then, she laughed and said, "Hey, I'll just get another abortion." I just seems to me that the availability of abortion might be leading to some teens and adults to be a little careless. If one wanted to write a YA novel, this might be a teen's response. Or a teenager asking her parents to get birth control. Or the dispensing of condoms.

If you are writing a YA novel, these may be some situations you might work on. Conflict from telling a parent. Conflict with the boyfriend who could care less. Conflict with oneself.

I'm not a fan of abortion, but there are cases, rape, incest, life of the mother, life of the child. Richard North Patterson wrote an excellent book on this--a courtroom drama where the baby's sonogram showed almost no brain activity at all. Quite a story.

Honestly, we put our daughter on birth control early--no questions asked. Whether she had sex or not didn't matter, but protection did. Maybe that could be put into a YA novel...parents insisting on birth control.

Hope this helps. Let me know what everyone thinks.


message 41: by Abbi (new)

Abbi | 59 comments Honestly, to me, it all comes down to the fact that I believe a baby is a life from the moment of conception. And, yes, I understand that people will ask invasive questions, but here's a question I have. Is that enough of a reason to end a life? Yes, I understand that it will be hard, but all good things in life require a little bit of work. That baby is innocent. Unborn children are the only life on this world that is without sin. I'm not very religious, but I don't see how someone could end a life because of such insignificant reasons.


message 42: by Cami (new)

Cami Lintz | 3 comments I think everyone is just sensitive. The world is overpopulated, the child (depending on how far along) won't even register its termination, and sometimes girls need to. For example, a rape victim.
Even at the age of 9 a girl can get pregnant (depending) That girl being that age won't be able to care properly for that child, won't be able to properly develop mentally, and won't be able to give that child she carries the life it deserves.
I mean, WHY would be bring a child into this world when there are so many others suffering in third world countries and orphanages and we have the power to stop it?
Yes, it is a life, but at that point of conception it is not even a mentally significant one. People will get angry with me and say all life is significant, but is that child even a child? When does an egg then become a child capable or pain and love?

There is nothing wrong with abortion, but for those that try and abuse it, should be dealt with and persecuted for child abuse.


message 43: by Cami (new)

Cami Lintz | 3 comments I know I just commented but I wanted to add one thing-
I am not killing a baby, I am not taking away it's choice to live. I am protecting it from a potentially horrible childhood.
If I wasn't able to give my child a safe and stable environment like a proper parent OF AGE, I don't wanna see my kid depressed, suicidal, anxious, and scared to live the rest of his/her life with these thoughts that stemmed from a bad childhood.
Do all children end like this? No. But my making abortion illegal, I promise a hell of a lot more children will.


message 44: by Cami (new)

Cami Lintz | 3 comments Amrita wrote: "I personally am extremely pro-choice. I mean, who are you to tell a young woman what she can or cannot do with her body? I don't think that teenage girls (most of them) are physically or emotionall..."

100 percent agree with you.


message 45: by Rebecca M. (new)

Rebecca M. | 27 comments What Ivy said. I really couldn't have said it better.


message 46: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine | 2 comments I think if you are responsible enough to have unsafe sex, then you should live with the consequence of it..
and thats why I would choose adoption, because it's my mistake and I have to live with it.


message 47: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) | 3093 comments I am totally against abortion in the sense that I will never get one and I might feel weird if someone i know does, but i would NEVER tell someone what they can and can't do with their body.

I just hope that people don't use it as birth control


message 48: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 4382 comments I think I kind of sit in the middle. If the pregnancy is a result of rape, then I wouldn't blame her one bit for wanting an abortion. However, if a teen is just messing around and having unprotected sex and she happens to get pregnant, then I don't agree with her having an abortion. She made the choice to have sex, she should be ready to deal with whatever consequences. There are many families out there who want to hae kids, but are unable to.

But with that being said, I would never tell a girl she can't get one. If I had a friend who wanted an abortion and she asked my thoughts, I would tell her my concerns, but in the end if she chooses to go through with it, I would just prefer not to talk about it since it's not any of my business anyway.

So I don't really know what side that puts me on. I really am against it, but at the same time I understand where most people are coming from when they make the decision, and not everybody can agree on everything.


message 49: by Jayden (new)

Jayden | 48 comments I saw this on tumblr and I felt like it fit with this topic:
"prolifers be like "THINK ABOUT THE BABY"
what baby? you mean the 13 yr old child being forced to go through pregnancy? or a ball of cells?"


message 50: by Madison (new)

Madison I would personally not get an abortion but I think that everyone should have the choice to get one


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.