Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > June 2015: Rivers and Lakes (Master List and General Discussion))

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited May 10, 2015 06:42PM) (new)

Kathryn | 5945 comments Mod
In June, we will enjoy a refreshing visit to Rivers and Lakes. Please nominate picture books fitting this theme by posting in a comment below. With such a rich theme we are bound to have many fiction titles but I would also love to see some quality non-fiction picture books, too.

Please vote for the five books you would most like to read as a group by choosing from the books in our official nominations list (messages 2-16) and posting your selection in a comment below.

Votes will be accepted until May 17th.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments This really doesn't quite fit since it is about a pond and not a lake, but it is nonfiction by an author I have read/enjoyed before...so I am stretching a bit and including it: Mallard Duck at Meadow View Pond

message 4: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments The Secret River is a book I've had on my wish list for a long time.
Over in a River: Flowing Out to the Sea is another one, somewhat non fiction I think,
Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas, new book about the elephant seal who made her home in the Avon River in the city of Christchurch, illustrated by favorite Brian Floca
Mr. Gumpy's Outing takes place on a river,
How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark for some history.

And some more non-fiction:
The Big Rivers: The Missouri, the Mississippi, and the Ohio
Where the River Begins
Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History

message 5: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7682 comments Mod
Paddle-to-the-Sea comes to mind, although at 64 pages, it might be a bit long.

I will add more later.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7682 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "This really doesn't quite fit since it is about a pond and not a lake, but it is nonfiction by an author I have read/enjoyed before...so I am stretching a bit and including it: [book:Mallard Duck ..."

I think ponds and even creeks should also count, but I think that's up to Kathryn.

message 7: by Fjóla (new)

Fjóla (fjolarun) | 260 comments Paddle to the Sea, and a couple of other Caldecott reads I recall would fit:

Rain Drop Splash
The Boats on the River

And
Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe gets great reviews.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Ponds and creeks are allowed, sure! ;-)

message 9: by Judi (new)

Judi (judib140) | 3 comments Jenny wrote: "River Beds: Sleeping in the World's Rivers. Haven't read this but it sounds like interesting nonfiction.

Riparia's River

All Along the River
Di..."</i>

<i>Jenny wrote: "[book:River Beds: Sleeping in the World's Rivers
. Haven't read this but it sounds like interesting nonfiction.

Riparia's River

All Along the River
[book:Di..."

The Gail Karwoski book is beautiful. I have it in my library at school. Gorgeous illustrations, great story.

message 10: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish, Newbery Club host (last edited May 04, 2015 08:57AM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
From memory:
A Day on the River is a book by kids liked when they were younger. (It's not well-known on GR, but two copies are in my library system, so I can't speak pro or con to availability.)

From an exploration of my library system's catalog:

Sacred River: The Ganges of India by Ted Lewin looks like interesting non-fiction (32 pp, but not sure of target audience).

Ditto Bats, Bugs, and Biodiversity: Adventures in the Amazonian Rain Forest by Susan E. Goodman (45 pp)

You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Hoover Dam!: An Explosive Job You'd Rather Not Do by Ian Graham is 32 pp. Would be a fun way for kids to learn that not all lakes are natural.

I'm really drawn to the cover of Muskrat Will Be Swimming by Cheryl Savageau, and Lisa Vegan gave it five stars too.

For the Master List that this thread will become:
Minn of the Mississippi by Holling Clancy Holling
(wonderful, but too long for this group read)

message 11: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments Here are a few ideas:

The Unicorn and the Lake (it's a bit lengthy; more for older children)

Basho and the River Stones

Kumak's River: A Tale from the Far North

The River Dragon

Pele and the Rivers of Fire (stretching the 'river' theme a bit, but I really liked this one)

Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems (probably a stretch since it's about a pond vs. a lake, but I really liked this one as well)

message 12: by Dolly (last edited May 11, 2015 01:56PM) (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 252 comments We've occasionally selected books that we've discussed before, but just for full disclosure, we've already discussed the following books here:

The Raft was selected for the August 2013 - Summer Outdoor Activities discussion.

A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History was chosen for the September 2012 - Ecosystems discussion.

and

Mayfly was chosen for the August 2012 - Traveling discussion.

message 14: by Karen (last edited May 05, 2015 04:37AM) (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 52 comments Paddle-to-the-Sea classic - long -Great Lakes
Minn of the Mississippi classic- long
The Story About Ping - classic - China - some controversy
Shin-chi's Canoe First Nations
A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
Morning on the Lake First Nations
The Brook Tennyson's poem
The Negro Speaks of Rivers Langston Hughes poem -- recent title with fine illustrations
The Secret River

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 52 comments The Secret Pool vernal pools
Deer at the Brook Jim Arnosky - simple - very young children
The Brook Book Arnosky
Everglades

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 124 comments If we're counting ponds...
In the Small, Small Pond - love Fleming's bright illustrations

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

What a wonderful nominations list! Thank you. It's going to be hard to choose this month but it's time to VOTE!

Please vote for the five books you would most like to read as a group by choosing from the books in our official nominations list (messages 2-16) and posting your selection in a comment below.

Votes will be accepted until May 17th.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) | 6446 comments Mod
My first vote goes to The Secret River The Secret River by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings . As a child, I loved the edition illustrated by Leonard Weisgard: The Secret River by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and I recently had a chance to reread that. Let me tell you, the pictures influence the story a lot - if you can get both and compare them I highly recommend you do so. Both are wondrous.

Other than that, my library doesn't have many from the list. I am interested in the ones I did nominate, so I'll list them here as my votes - but feel free to weight them more lightly in the collation. :)

Sacred River: The Ganges of India

Bats, Bugs, and Biodiversity: Adventures in the Amazonian Rain Forest

You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Hoover Dam!: An Explosive Job You'd Rather Not Do Would be a fun way for kids to learn that not all lakes are natural.

Muskrat Will Be Swimming

message 22: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments Not feeling well and can't seem to figure out if there is a master list for rivers and lakes. Just remembered River Parade which I like to use for my Fathers programs.

message 24: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Feel better, June! (after the voting closes this will become the master list so thank you for contributing.).

message 25: by June (new)

June (june_krell) | 121 comments Thanks, Kathryn. Bad time with allergies, different medication is helping.

message 26: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

June wrote: "Thanks, Kathryn. Bad time with allergies, different medication is helping."

Glad to hear you're getting relief. We went through two terrible months of allergies ourselves, so I sympathize.

message 27: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited May 18, 2015 06:49PM) (new)

The votes are in and here are the books we will read together in June:

The Secret River illusrated by the Dillons (note there is a second edition, illustrated by Leonard Weisgard; either is fine, though would be fun to compare both!)

Hey Diddle Diddle: A Food Chain Tale

Bats, Bugs, and Biodiversity: Adventures in the Amazonian Rain Forest

Deer at the Brook

How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark

Sixth/Alternate:
Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas

I'm realizing that we have mostly chosen books about rivers (sorry, lakes) but it looks like a great line-up

message 28: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

This list now becomes our Master List and General Discussion for those picture books about rivers and lakes not included in our official six club reads. Ongoing additions to the list, or discussion of titles on the list, is encouraged. Thank you!

Great choices; nice mix of fable and non-fiction.