Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > How do you approach your book selling business?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Dudycha | 39 comments As a first-time indie author I was wondering how you guys go about running your book business.

Do you have your own DBA (Doing Business As) name for your books?

Do you suggest owning your own ISBN numbers?

Do you use CreateSpace and KDP? If so, what are your thoughts?

I would love to know what you've experienced, thanks.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael P. Dunn (wordboy1) | 86 comments I approach being an indie author as therapy that I hope to one day make some money off of while engaging my deep-seated desire to tell stories.

As for the ISBN numbers, I don't own the ones that were assigned to the books. I got them free from Smashwords and Kindle.

Speaking of Kindle, I know KDP Select might lead to more sales but for three months, I couldn't publish the books anywhere else. I'll opt for the larger distribution network offered by Smashwords and stresing over marketing...for now, anyway.

I found both CreateSpace and Kindle easy to work with. The books had already been formatted so there was no real issue submitting them. And I have to say, now that I've gotten copies of the books from CreateSpace, they look very good, very well put-together. Now, if only I didn't have to pay for them...

message 3: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Yes, we have a DBA, but you don't need one and I doubt they help much.

In general, I believe there is little benefit to buying your ISBN numbers. There may be a few exceptions, based on genre or like factors, but for those cases, indies probably have a hard time anyway.

I use both, and while I personally recommend KDP Select in most cases, do check out this thread for lot of info: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Keep in mind that in this business there are few if any generic answers. Everything depends on what you intend to sell. What works well in one genre/market can be a waste of time or a huge mistake in another. You need to tailor what you find to your specific circumstances.

message 4: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Briginshaw | 74 comments JD wrote: "As a first-time indie author I was wondering how you guys go about running your book business.

Do you have your own DBA (Doing Business As) name for your books?

Do you suggest owning your own IS..."

In Canada, ISBN numbers are "free" through the government. I put "free" in quotation marks because there is no upfront charge, but you are obligated to submit one copy of your book to "Legal Deposit - Library & Archives Canada". I thought that was a fair trade-off and it's neat to know that there's an "official" copy of my book in the system. If you release an eBook version, it requires a separate ISBN number and you submit the MOBI file electronically.

I used Createspace and Kindle and found it easy to publish my books (three so far). I had no idea how many copies of my books would be sold so it was nice to use a print-on-demand facility rather than ordering a specified number. If someone purchases my book on Amazon, they print it and send it directly to the customer without my involvement and then send me the royalty 60 days later.

message 5: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Dudycha | 39 comments Thanks for your feedback guys.