All The Right Books discussion

Miscellaneous Archives > PIFM Guidlines

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sydney, Head Mod | Avid Reader | Dedicated Fangirl (new)

Sydney Humphrey (bjjgirl) | 2158 comments Mod
Hey everyone! PIFM-- Pick It For Me-- is exactly what it sounds like. Sign ups for a PIFM will be open at all times for the following month. For example, sign ups for the June PIFM are open from May 1 to May 31. When sign ups close, everyone will be paired up. Everyone will choose books for their partner as specified in their sign up.

When you sign up, please include the following: Name to be called by, number of books you want picked out for you, genre/shelf to be chosen from, further specifications. For example:

Sydney, 2 books, my to-read shelf, NOT on my "not found in library" shelf

OR

Prince, 1 book, YA dystopian, keep it clean please!! And try to find something I haven't already read (not on my "read" shelf) Thanks!

Please ask questions below!

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 371 comments In the other version of PIFM I participate in, at the A GOOD THRILLER group, we have to post a list of 3 to 10 books from our TBR shelf and the book (or books) with the highest # of votes is the one you read for the following month. Then there's a separate thread where people say which book they think YOU should read, which then gets COPIED to your list. We do NOT do partners...everyone has to vote for everyone else.

I'm gonna post my July PIFM for A GOOD THRILLER as an example:
"1. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond +1
Jean

2. Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend by John E. Miller +7
Daisy
Dana
Mallory Heart
Lisa
Perri
Pat
Sean

3. A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris +4
Kirsten
Faouzia
Sophie
Jenifer

4. Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating +1
Stefanie

5. Æthelstan: The First King of England by Sarah Foot as part of The English Monarchs series
6. Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy by Max Hastings +4
Brenda
Patricia
Christine
Lynn

7. Authentic Vietnamese Cooking: Food from a Family Table
by Corinne Trang (Goodreads Author)
8. Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors
by Nicholas Wade
9. The Hundred Years War: The English in France 1337-1453 by Desmond Seward
and 10. The Art of War by Sun Tzu +1
Lisa

Sean was the last person to vote. Where are the lists for the OTHER group members. I'm not going to get any more votes unless the rest of you post your lists so I can vote! Currently, it looks like I'm going to end up reading Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend by John E. Miller since it is in the lead with 7 votes. "

This is just an example of the way it is done in the other group.

message 3: by Sydney, Head Mod | Avid Reader | Dedicated Fangirl (new)

Sydney Humphrey (bjjgirl) | 2158 comments Mod
Hmm that's very interesting! It seems like it would be more fun with more people though, so I think I'll stick with the current version for the time being. However once the game gets a little more activity, I'd definitely be up for giving it a try!

message 4: by Amber (last edited Jun 27, 2015 10:14AM) (new)

Amber Martingale | 371 comments We'll eventually find a format that works best for this group. :)

I basically rehash the list from month to month, with the current month's winner deleted and the remaining books renumbered then I add to the list until I get back to a total of ten. I do it that way because I'm too damned lazy to think of a totally new list every month.

LOL. So "3. A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris" becomes #2 and so. The Sun Tzu book will be either #8 or #9 on my August list and #10 will be something I pick totally at random from my TBR list.