What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 3 girlfriends get together, talk about childhood and a boy who was murdered one summer.

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited May 21, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments I read a book several years back that was in the new release shelf at the library. I'm thinking the word "summer" was in the title. It was about three friends who had grown up together getting together at one of their houses and they talk about their childhood and I believe there was a young boy they knew who was murdered one summer.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Jennifer, please add details to the topic title/header (e.g., description of book but no spoilers, genre). Click the "Edit" link at the top beside the title (if you're on a desktop computer). This will help people help you. Good luck!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
they talk about their. Hold hood

?

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 5 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "they talk about their. Hold hood

?"

(I believe Jennifer might have meant to say "They talk about their childhood", but I could be wrong)

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments Yes, sorry. Trying to type fast on my cell plus autocorrect. Lol

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments Kris wrote: "Jennifer, please add details to the topic title/header (e.g., description of book but no spoilers, genre). Click the "Edit" link at the top beside the title (if you're on a desktop computer). This ..."

I hope I did that right. I just remember that the three women were childhood friends and they got together at the house of one of the women who still lived in their hometown. I think the boy that died was a bully or did something to one of them and she actually killed him. I'm pretty sure the title had "Summer" in it.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Jennifer, around what year did you read this book?

How old are three friends? Males and/or females? Their jobs, background, etc.?

What's the tone - murder mystery, thriller, reflective, etc.?

Location - U.S./country, big city/small town/region, etc.?

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments I have read it within the last 10 years and at the time I read it, it was on the "New Release" shelf at the library.

They were probably in their 30s, one (or more) was married and had young kids.

It wasn't really a murder mystery, maybe a reflective-coming of age type story.

It was a small town, I don't remember if it mentioned a region but I think just the one friend still lived there.

It reminded me of that movie Now and Then. I think the boy that died was found in a gulch or something. I remember a mention of them going to a swimming hole too.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments That sounds very similar but i don't remember this book taking place at the beach.

message 11: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2427 comments (view spoiler)

message 12: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2427 comments Also, sounds like they lived in Philadelphia but would visit a relative's beach house during the summer.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments No this boy was killed. I think he had maybe even molested one of the girls and I think she pushed him in the ravine or something like that. When his body was found everyone just thought he'd fallen and drown and when they were together she told her friends what she'd done.

message 14: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2427 comments Found another review that claims he drowned. So I'm confused. :)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments Me too. lol. I'll check it out again. Thanks.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments I also want to say the title had an insect name in it. Like "Firely Summer" or "Lightening Bug Summer" or something like that. Its been a while and I read it during a period of time where I was reading constantly, so its possibly I'm mixing things up with another book (or three, lol).

message 17: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Maybe All the Summer Girls? reviews mention three friends reuniting and secrets from the past and one girl's brother having been killed one summer in the past.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments Yes, another member suggested that but its not the right book. Thanks though.

message 19: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Ack! Sorry, I should have seen that! I'll keep poking around.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hultman | 10 comments Thank you! I even tried looking on our library's website but they've changed the search engine and it doesn't work as well as the online card catalog there at the library. Grr. Its driving me crazy!

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jennifer, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Jennifer, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All the Summer Girls (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Meg Donohue (other topics)