Voyager (Outlander, #3) Voyager discussion

what is the meaning to the nickname Jamie gave to clare

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sönïa (new)

Sönïa Dhillion Hi

I am watching the outlander tv series . Let me say the storyline and tv show is amazing hats off to the author and actors that play the roles. Whenever i watch a episode i just feel as if i had dreamed a time -travel romance it would be this. I have read so many books with this theme but there is always somwthing wrong either too much history info or heroine is meek, demure. But so far i cannot find anything wrong with the storyline and Jamie i just love him . I have always loved a book character soran in the siren series by tiffany riesz and now i found a tv guy Jamie is just to die for each time he just proves how selfess, unconditonally loving person he is. Anyway if i start blabbing on about jamie qualities i wont stop so sorry about it. My question is Jamie affectionatelly calls clare "Sassenach" what does that mean i googled it but it came up a english person is that what it means???.

P.s i watched episode 11 omg i was in tears at Jamie reaction and then how he was willing to let Clare go thank god she did'nt . I am gonna be heartbroken when the episodes does come to that stage.

Carl Schierhorn Simple: It means "Outlander" -- someone who's not Scottish, and therefore is not to be trusted. But it becomes more than an endearment for Jamie.

message 3: by Sönïa (new)

Sönïa Dhillion Carl wrote: "Simple: It means "Outlander" -- someone who's not Scottish, and therefore is not to be trusted. But it becomes more than an endearment for Jamie."

So then it means enemy? But from episode 11 i know Jamie knows the full truth . So now the nickname just means partial truth as clare is a outsider but can be trusted

Carl Schierhorn What I was trying to say is that the general term was "an outsider not to be trusted." Enemy, I think, is too strong.

But regarding Claire, it was sort of an ironic endearing nickname (and nickname isn't the right word -- perhaps "pet name" would be slightly better).

I'm really speaking from the books. Believe it or not, I haven't watched the TV series yet. But I've read the series is quite faithful to the books.

Mrsbooks I thought it had meant "a person who is english" as well. But with that comes the implied insult. They hated the english. This was a deogratory way of calling someone english.

But yes, it became an endearing pet name.

Carl Schierhorn "mrsbooks" has it better. Here's the definition from Diana Galabron's website (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/). I hadn't looked at it before. Lots of good stuff there.

Sassenach means "stranger" or "outlander," and is a nickname that Jamie uses for Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser. Also refers to persons of English descent. (Usually a derogatory term or insult.)

Jeanine Celentano Sönïa wrote: "Hi

I am watching the outlander tv series . Let me say the storyline and tv show is amazing hats off to the author and actors that play the roles. Whenever i watch a episode i just feel as if i ha..."

It won't happen for a few years yet.
Have you read the books?

Jeanine Celentano Carl wrote: ""mrsbooks" has it better. Here's the definition from Diana Galabron's website (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/). I hadn't looked at it before. Lots of good stuff there.

Sassenach means "stranger" or..."

If you watch the series the way Jamie says it is a little different from how the others who do mean it as an insult do say it

Leah  St.James Sonia, You're not alone in your "Jamie" obsession! (I'm speaking from both reading the books and watching the TV shows.)

If you haven't watched the "Speak Outlander" videos from STARZ, you should! Here's the one that explains how to pronounce Sassenach. https://youtu.be/qOR_8tLUMTo

For more for your Jamie fix, definitely look at the Mo Nighean Donn clip: https://youtu.be/l5TAGCtqGEc (fans face furiously)

Enjoy. :-)

Ginny Griffin As a Scot can I just say Sassanach is an epithet given by Highlanders to anyone not from there so even fellow Scots from the Lowlands were referred to as Sassanachs!

message 11: by Sönïa (new)

Sönïa Dhillion Jeanine wrote: "Sönïa wrote: "Hi

I am watching the outlander tv series . Let me say the storyline and tv show is amazing hats off to the author and actors that play the roles. Whenever i watch a episode i just f..."

Nope I haven't I heard about the series on goodreads since I was so much into time-travel theme. But never really read the book I can't remember why . But basically I saw a trailer of ourlander then watched the show realized it was from the author . So I was hooked from then now I just want to watch first then read since I have already started that way.

message 12: by Sage (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sage Sassanach means an English person...and Claire is an English person. For Jamie it has become a term of endearment.

Jeanine Celentano I just love the way Sam says it too

message 14: by sublimosa (new) - added it

sublimosa Leah wrote: "Sonia, You're not alone in your "Jamie" obsession! (I'm speaking from both reading the books and watching the TV shows.)

If you haven't watched the "Speak Outlander" videos from STARZ, you should!..."

Those are great links! Thanks. I'm not watching the show, but the links make me somewhat curious.

message 15: by Geria (new)

Geria I thought the affectionate name Jamie gave Claire was that of the Scottish warrior woman Scathach of old Celtic lore?

Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~ Geria wrote: "I thought the affectionate name Jamie gave Claire was that of the Scottish warrior woman Scathach of old Celtic lore?"

No, not at all. The others are right. It's right there in the books.

message 17: by Takis (new)

Takis Zagarelos "Sassenach" English person in Gaelic.
Sassenaugh, literally "Saxon," from Gaelic Sasunnach, from Latin Saxones

message 18: by Otis (new)

Otis McDermott I think it means 'spirit'. My girlfriend does these horrible paintings of fairies and she is always talking about this.

message 19: by Abun (new)

Abun Azad The series is not true to book any more