All About Books discussion

The New York Trilogy
This topic is about The New York Trilogy
Readalongs > The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Shirley, when do you want to start this one?

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ I would like to join in with this one as well.

Shirley | 4177 comments I was thinking about the last weekend in May, so 29th/30th?

LauraT (laurata) | 13139 comments Mod
Yes great; it would be perfect for me Shirley

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good to me. Laura, that means I will probably still be reading it in Perugia!

message 6: by LauraT (last edited May 04, 2015 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes!!!!! At the lake like with Dante last year with Jenny!!!

message 7: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Sounds good for me too.

Leslie | 15985 comments Shirley wrote: "I was thinking about the last weekend in May, so 29th/30th?"

OK good! I need to submit my interlibrary loan request so this works well for me.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

LauraT wrote: "Yes!!!!! At the lake like with Dante last year with Jenny!!!"

Sounds excellent! Keeping everything crossed for some sunny weather.

It seems like we have a good group for this

Heather | 571 comments That's good for me, fits in perfectly with my holiday!

message 11: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Will join in around that date, once I've finished Germinal.

Monica Davis My number came up for the library loan, so I'll start reading now, but won't post anything until the group discussion begins.

Leslie | 15985 comments Monica wrote: "My number came up for the library loan, so I'll start reading now, but won't post anything until the group discussion begins."

Oh, I need to submit my loan request. Thanks Monica for the reminder!

Monica Davis Leslie wrote: "Oh, I need to submit my loan request..."

Hope you get yours soon, Leslie. From what I've read so far, this will be an interesting group readalong.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I will start after I've finished my current Terry Pratchett book. I didn't want to be the first to start but I can now!

Leslie | 15985 comments My library hold has arrived. When do we want to start?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading a couple of books first but I hope to start next week. Maybe Weds or Thursday

Heather | 571 comments I've started this week as I just couldn't wait any longer! So far so good...

message 19: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Now those last two comments are confusing, Heather and Heather! Sounds a bit split personality to me!

I'm intending to start in the next few days, definitely by Wednesday and maybe sooner.

Heather | 571 comments Gill, I really do need to change my name! It does get very confusing at times!

Leslie | 15985 comments Gill wrote: "Now those last two comments are confusing, Heather and Heather! Sounds a bit split personality to me!

I'm intending to start in the next few days, definitely by Wednesday and maybe sooner."

:)

Wednesday or sooner sounds good to me too. I am going through The Remains of the Day faster than I had expected.

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm going to start this weekend, I think, but may not be until Sunday. Looking forward to it!

Like Gill in three or for days; on wednesdays we can start commenting - or before who has already read something

Shirley | 4177 comments I've started this today, just read the first 50 pages.

Johanna | 130 comments Read the intro and the first 3 pages and I liked what I read. Will now wait until I finish Conversacion en la Catedral - another 3 or 4 days.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I've had this on my tbr list for so long I'm actually quite nervous about starting!

Shirley | 4177 comments I've just finished this! Had a bit of a lazy couple of days, so managed to read quite a lot! Really enjoyed reading it, but will wait to comment further until a few more have read it.

message 28: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I've just finished Chapter 2. (view spoiler) Just my opinion!

I'm enjoying knowing some of the locations since my first visit to New York earlier this month.

message 29: by Shirley (last edited May 31, 2015 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shirley | 4177 comments Gill wrote: "I've just finished Chapter 2. [spoilers removed] Just my opinion!

I'm enjoying knowing some of the locations since my first visit to New York earlier this month."

I thought the same, Gill, it annoyed me when I read that.

Monica Davis Finished this as well...enjoyed it very much. Gill, I see your (spoiler) point, but that didn't bother me.

New York City was my home for 10 years. I love revisiting the old neighborhoods through the author's pages.

Leslie | 15985 comments I will be starting later today. Sounds like it has been a pretty fast read.

Leslie | 15985 comments I have been having trouble getting started. I have read the first few pages a couple of times now but I keep getting distracted.

message 33: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Could somebody post what the three books are called, please?

Shirley | 4177 comments Hi Jean, they are called City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room.

Finished the first two stories, half way with the third. I thoght the same as you Gill: I found irritating all this sending to other names and self, directing in the end to the same person, i.e. the author.
I'll wait for all of you to have finished it, but I can say I didn't like it so much; I admit he writes well, but has not said much to me ...

message 36: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I liked the third story much much more than the other two. The third reminds me a bit of writing by W.G. Sebald

Gill wrote: "I liked the third story much much more than the other two. The third reminds me a bit of writing by W.G. Sebald"

I'm right in the half of the thrid Gill and I was considering exactly the same thing!!!!

message 38: by Leslie (last edited Jun 03, 2015 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie | 15985 comments Monica wrote: "Finished this as well...enjoyed it very much. Gill, I see your (spoiler) point, but that didn't bother me..."

Didn't bother me either; in fact, I thought it was amusing. What is bothering me is (view spoiler)

And again in Chapter 7 & 8, (view spoiler)

Monica Davis LauraT wrote: "Finished the first two stories, half way with the third. I thoght the same as you Gill: I found irritating all this sending to other names and self, directing in the end to the same person, i.e. th..."

Further thoughts on this, but perhaps wait until you finish the book to read spoiler. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Thanks Shirley :) Looking them up now.

message 41: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Leslie wrote: "Monica wrote: "Finished this as well...enjoyed it very much. Gill, I see your (spoiler) point, but that didn't bother me..."

Didn't bother me either; in fact, I thought it was amusing. What is bo..."

Re your second spoiler, Leslie. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Shirley (last edited Jun 03, 2015 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shirley | 4177 comments Gill wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Monica wrote: "Finished this as well...enjoyed it very much. Gill, I see your (spoiler) point, but that didn't bother me..."

Didn't botherrer me either; in fact, I thought it was amusi..."

Oh good, I'm glad we've all started discussing this, as I had quite a few queries over this book...whilst I did enjoy it, there were a lot of unanswered questions, including the ones Leslie mentions in her spoiler. And I'm afraid I don't have any answers, and I have finished it!

Gill, I think in response to your last spoiler, I think the answer lies in The Locked Room.(view spoiler)

I think I struggled more with the second story - all those colours!

Thise of you who also read "Cloud Atlas" recently, did you also feel this was a similar type of interlinking - with stories linked by theme and references to characters in the other stories? Some of them rather tenuous, and vague, but links all the same.

I thought the writing was similar to Raymond Chandler at first, and apart from some loose ends and unanswered questions, I did enjoy reading this trilogy…

Leslie | 15985 comments I have finished the first part of the trilogy, "City of Glass". Very strange and not what I expected at all! Did anyone else notice (view spoiler)

Shirley, I did notice some similarities with Cloud Atlas and I haven't even gotten to the next parts yet!

I did have a question about the end of this part. (view spoiler)

Shirley | 4177 comments Leslie wrote: "I have finished the first part of the trilogy, "City of Glass". Very strange and not what I expected at all! Did anyone else notice [spoilers removed]

Shirley, I did notice some similarities wit..."

Leslie, re your first spoiler: Yes!

Re your second spoiler: Hold that thought, as it may become clearer as you read on...

Finished the whole book yesterday. In the end I can't say I liked it. To remain in a general comment not to spoiler anything, I really don't see what Auster wanted to tell us writing this book. All said in the comments before is right: a lot of questions, no real anwers. But the ultimate point of the book? I must say I missed it...
All this linking the three stories with one another and with his personal life I found a bit too annoying, especially because I don't see the point of it ...

Monica Davis To me, book #1 was less a detective story and more (view spoiler)

Some of the book titles referenced in the text:(view spoiler)

message 47: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I'm beginning to realise how much I've forgotten already of the story! I know when I was reading it, I checked on the name Quinn, and he appears in another author's book. I'll see if I can find him again.

I didn't expect to be doing this, but I'm going to reread the first book to see if it makes things any clearer to me.

message 48: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Shirley wrote: "Gill wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Monica wrote: "Finished this as well...enjoyed it very much. Gill, I see your (spoiler) point, but that didn't bother me..."

Didn't botherrer me either; in fact, I thou..."

Re Raymond Chandler and part 1, I also could see the similarities. However, Chandler's writing is so much better than how Auster wrote this section. At the time I wondered why Auster didn't write it better. (view spoiler)

At the end I still wasn't clear how Part2 fitted in and who was meant to have written it. Any answers to that one?!

message 49: by Gill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I've come across an interview with Paul Auster, I found it interesting. It would be better to listen to it after finishing all three parts, though. It contains many spoilers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00fc3vt

Monica Davis Gill wrote: "I'm beginning to realise how much I've forgotten already of the story! I know when I was reading it, I checked on the name Quinn, and he appears in another author's book. I'll see if I can find him..."

Gill, I actually read through the entire book twice because there are so many layers; it seemed to make more sense, understanding all the pieces.

« previous 1