What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > father's dying wish: marriage of convenience, hero had mistress, possible falconry?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments About 7-10 years ago I read this book. I got it at the library and don't remember anything about the cover. I also don't have a good idea about how old it is.

What I recall: Historical fiction, set in England, possibly Regency or Victorian. The father's dying wish is that his eldest son marries the only daughter of his close friend, who owned the neighboring estate. This friend died several years ago, and he had no son to take over the estate. The estate has been managed by someone else (can't remember), and would pass to the daughter upon her marriage? or something? The mother and daughter have lived in a small cottage in another town, and have to live very economically because the estate is not doing well. I think it turns out the manager has been fleecing them.

Eldest son does not want to marry the daughter, as he has had a mistress for several years in London, but feels obligated, and also notes that it would be good to add land to the estate.

I seem to recall that the son's mother and sister are quite cruel to the daughter since she has old dresses and is quite plain. The daughter is very close to her mother and is heartbroken to leave her alone.

I think there is also some scandal with the mistress...he breaks it off with her but she makes it seem like they are still together somehow. I can't exactly remember how the book ends.

The book itself felt like it was very well-researched, and though there was some sex, it was not the focus.

Maybe someone is/was a falconer?? I'm probably mixing in some other book.

Thanks for any assistance! I have thought of this book several times over the years and would like to re-read it. And I like the marriage of convenience trope so any similar books are appreciated!

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina Marie | 21 comments I think I might have this book. I will check in the morning. Are you still looking for it?

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Yes please! Thanks, I had sort of forgotten about this thread. :)

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina Marie | 21 comments I just started this site yesterday & was clicking on random pages, reading to see if anything popped up that dounded familiar. I will check now. :)

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33320 comments Mod
Mary, were the heroine and hero childhood friends (e.g., Scandal's Daughter by Christine Wells)?

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina Marie | 21 comments I am not finding it on my shelves. Did he by chance have the nickname of "Hawk"? There is a book I read years ago where the h is hiding in the dark building that houses the hawks. I belive yhat may be called Hawks Lady by Cathrine Archibald. There is also a Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning (Beyond the Highland Mist) where the H is named Hawk but that has more to do with time travel. I am still looking though!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Kris, it’s not Scandal’s Daughter, though I may add that to my TBR list! Thanks though! I don’t think there was a scandal with her parents - I think a reason she hates the idea of being forced to marry him is that her parents were very happy and she wants that too.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments I am not sure they were close friends, but certainly acquaintances.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Nina, I will check on Hawk’s lady. That would explain the slight memory of falconry. I know it’s not the Highlander series though. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments This is old but it was not Hawk’s Lady. The protagonist was alone with her mother - no other family.

message 12: by Kris (last edited Jan 10, 2020 11:16AM) (new)

Kris | 33320 comments Mod
How and where did the heroine's father die several years ago?

What's the tone - e.g., romantic, angsty, steamy/clean, sad/somber?