The 2015 Book Genre Challenge discussion

Individual Reads > May Reads - Steampunk

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments So what are you guys planning on reading this month? You all had such great suggestions, I can't wait to hear what you all think! I just got Mortal Engines from the library! I'm going to try to read is when I can, after AP exams!

message 2: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments I'm so excited for this month, I have so many options I'm not sure which one I'm going to choose, Spiritwalker trilogy, Steampunk Chronicles, Matt Cruse trilogy, His Dark Materials trilogy, Something Stranger and Deadly trilogy, Masque of the Red Death duology! SO MANY GOOD STEAMPUNK SERIES I JUST CAN'T CHOOSE!!!

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) I want to finally read one of the Cassandra Clare books, but I don't know where to start? Do I read The Infernal Devices first or The Mortal Instruments?

Help!

message 4: by Wafa (new)

Wafa looking forward to read the golden compass :-)

message 5: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Meg wrote: "I want to finally read one of the Cassandra Clare books, but I don't know where to start? Do I read The Infernal Devices first or The Mortal Instruments?

Help!"

The Infernal Devices are more steampunk, the Mortal Instruments are more urban fantasy!

message 6: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments I finally read Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass)& Once Upon A Time In The North while I was at it. I like! Now started on The Subtle Knife :)

message 7: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Frogli wrote: "I finally read Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass)& Once Upon A Time In The North while I was at it. I like! Now started on The Subtle Knife :)"

FROGLI YOU'RE CRAZY FAST WOW! I've been meaning to read His Dark Materials for years now, let me know once you finish how was it!

message 8: by Frogli (new)

Frogli | 75 comments Ah well, it was a long weekend over here (bank holiday monday) and I took tuesday & wednesday off because it's been insane at work and I needed a break.

Also after classics last month they are quick read :p

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamarasan) I'm going to read Soulless and then, if I like it, maybe continue the series.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) Silvia wrote: "The Infernal Devices are more steampunk, the Mortal Instruments are more urban fantasy!"

Thanks Silvia! :)

message 11: by Melany (new)

Melany (globalbymel) Just finished Soulless, which was fun but very silly. Lord Akeldama was definitely my favorite but Professor Lyall is a close second.

I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with the series or try another steampunk book. I'm leaning towards Boneshaker, maybe.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) I finished Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher a few days ago; I plan on reading at least one more steampunk this month, possibly Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1) by Lori M. Lee , though that might change.

message 13: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Tamara wrote: "I'm going to read Soulless and then, if I like it, maybe continue the series."

Soulless is absolutely hilarious, one of my favorite reads of last year! I have yet to finish the series, but I loved the first 2 books! Have fun reading this!

message 14: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I finished Sapphique (Incarceron, #2) by Catherine Fisher a few days ago; I plan on reading at least one more steampunk this month, possibly Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1) by Lori M. Lee, though that might change."

I read Sapphique a couple of years and I remember I loved it, it's very intricate and dark, it has sort of a Maze Runner feel, and really intense drama. Plus it's very unique, it's not like most steampunk novels I've read!

message 15: by Helen (new)

Helen (cooksbooks78) I have finished Leviathan I really enjoyed it.
This was my first steampunk read and I am looking forward to finishing this series in the future and also reading Boneshaker later this month

message 16: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Helen wrote: "I have finished Leviathan I really enjoyed it.
This was my first steampunk read and I am looking forward to finishing this series in the future and also reading [book:Boneshaker|113..."

Wow everyone keeps mentioning Boneshaker!! Just the title makes me want to read it, so I guess I'm going to have to check it out soon!!

I never did finish the Incarceron series haha, but it was definitely very unique!

I also have Gates of Thread and Stone on my TBR, I didn't realize it was steampunk!! Hmm.

message 17: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (tamarasan) Silvia wrote:

Soulless is absolutely hilarious, one of my favorite reads of last year! I have yet to finish the series, but I loved the first 2 books! Have fun reading this! "

I saw it as an audiobook at the library and have been listening to it. The voice actress is great and the different voices she supplies really adds to the story. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I will probably pick up the actual book once I finish the few books I'm currently working on.

message 18: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments I read Soulless a little while ago, but I never finished the series! I really liked the way it ended so I just never continued. Should I read on? It is such a fun series...

message 19: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) I am still trying to decide what to read this month-

Is the Grisha trilogy considered Steampunk? I saw the second 2 on a Goodreads list of popular steampunk books...

message 20: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments I don't think the Grisha is steampunk. The second one, Siege and Storm has steampunk elements because THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE SERIES (he's my fave I can't contain my love sorry) usually creates aircrafts that have a steampunk vibe. But the Grisha trilogy is fantasy.

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) Thanks Silvia! That pretty much affirms what I had thought, which is why I was confused when I saw it on the Goodreads list!

Do you guys know any Steampunk books that are not YA? (nothig against YA but I have read a lot of it recently)

message 22: by Meg (new)

Meg (projectbookworm) Thanks Silvia! That pretty much affirms what I had thought, which is why I was confused when I saw it on the Goodreads list!

Do you guys know any Steampunk books that are not YA? (nothig against YA but I have read a lot of it recently)

message 23: by Silvia, (grangerandherbooks) (new)

Silvia (biblionation) | 187 comments Meg wrote: "Thanks Silvia! That pretty much affirms what I had thought, which is why I was confused when I saw it on the Goodreads list!

Do you guys know any Steampunk books that are not YA? (nothig against Y..."

You're welcome! Soulless is not YA btw! I've also heard of the Iron Seas series by Meljean Brook, it's NA I think!

message 24: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments So I started a little late, and I read Soulless (Which I loved by the way) and then I ended up reading the rest of the Parasol Protectorate at the rate of one book a day.
Now I'm going to start Etiquette and Espionage.
Send Help.

message 25: by Shivangi (new)

Shivangi (stixer) | 25 comments Renuka wrote: "I read Soulless a little while ago, but I never finished the series! I really liked the way it ended so I just never continued. Should I read on? It is such a fun series..."

Renuka, you should definitely read the rest of the series, it get's more and more interesting, and there are several great characters introduced (and a few minor ones, including one of my favorites, are really expanded on)

message 26: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Thanks Shivangi, I'll definitely have to continue it then!! I haven't been able to finish Mortal Engines since my brother has been reading it, but I'll finish it soon, and maybe read the next Parasol Protectorate novel!! I'm glad you're enjoying Carriger's books! They're so whimsical and fun aren't they?

message 27: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) I finished yesterday Masque of the Red Death and today Glitter & Doom, and already started with the last book, Dance of the Red Death, and I have to say they weren't that great to me. I think the story, though it holds the promise to be amazing (I mean, it was based on a story by E.A. Poe), was very superficial and light and sadly I was looking for more. Gonna see how the second book ends, but not holding my breath for it.
I was hoping to read Leviathan for this month, but was only able to find the first book and it was waaaaay too expensive, so don't think I'll read it :(

message 28: by Renuka , (eternal-books) (new)

Renuka  | 212 comments Soledad wrote: "I finished yesterday Masque of the Red Death and today Glitter & Doom, and already started with the last book, Dance of the Red Death, and I have to ..."

Oooh I read Masque of the Red Death too, and I completely agree. I was not a fan at all. There are far, far better steampunk novels out there for sure. I didn't even bother reading the rest :/

But Leviathan is one of my favorites! I'm sorry you weren't able to read it, but hopefully someday!! <3

message 29: by Sole (new)

Sole (fluorita) Renuka wrote: "Oooh I read Masque of the Red Death too, and I completely agree. I was not a fan at all. There are far, far better steampunk novels out there for sure. I didn't even bother reading the rest :/

But Leviathan is one of my favorites! I'm sorry you weren't able to read it, but hopefully someday!! <3"

I'm reading the 2nd one because most of the time, unless a series is really really bad, I have to complete the story. My mind demands I leave no unfinished business with my books XD

As for Leviathan, I'm quite sure the other two books aren't available due to the importation's restrictions my country has (whic sadly, affects books as well :/), but I'm hoping some day they'll be on sale here as well.