All About Books discussion

Past Posts > Group Classics Nominations for June & July

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments It is time for nominations on which classic we should read in June & July.

A reminder on the procedure: anyone can nominate a book. Nominations need to be seconded by another member to qualify for the poll. Each member can only nominate or second one book. Nominations will remain open for 12 days (until May 15) or until there are six seconded books, whichever comes first.

message 2: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'd like to nominate Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens please.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 253 comments I nominate
The Tin Drum by Günter Grass by Günter Grass

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Christy wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee"

I've read many classics, but oddly, this is one that slipped through the cracks. I second To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jean wrote: "I'd like to nominate Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens please."

I will second this. I'm due a Dickens read

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Greg wrote: "Christy wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee"

I've read many classics, but oddly, this is one that slipped through the cracks. I second To Kill a Mockingbird."

That's indeed a surprise Greg! This one has been on my to-read list for ages. If it gets selected, I'll make an effort to join (but no promises!) :)

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink I'd like to nominate North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

message 9: by John (new)

John Frankham (johnfrankham) I will second The Tin Drum. Appropriate, given the author's recent death.

message 10: by Kathy McC (last edited May 03, 2015 12:59PM) (new)

message 11: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Thanks Heather :)

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana I would like to nominate 1984 by George Orwell

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

another second for dombey and son ;)

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (dontakemetochurch) Kathy McC wrote: "East of Eden by John Steinbeck"

I second this.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Wow, the stars are aligning for me in a good way! Several of the seconded nominations are for books I've been wanting to read that I haven't read yet. A lot of times in the past I've already read the Classic category winner, but I don't think that'll happen this time. Excited! :)

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Featherston (kfxston) | 66 comments I'd like to recommend The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte.

message 17: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
Hannah wrote: "Kathy McC wrote: "East of Eden by John Steinbeck"

I second this."

I was going to second it myself!!!

message 18: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Aargh! I want to read them all! :(

message 19: by LauraT (last edited May 04, 2015 02:23AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13416 comments Mod
Same here Jean!!! I'd really love to reread Dombey and Son for istance: I've just finished listening to The Doctor's Wife where the heroine is always comparing herself to Florence Dombey!!!

message 20: by Pink (new)

Pink Haha, yes they all look good nominations so far, it will be hard to choose this month!

message 21: by Katya (new)

Katya (katya_sb) | 15 comments I second 1984 by G. Orwell

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzanne03) | 32 comments Giorgia wrote: "another second for dombey and son ;)"

Katya wrote: "I second 1984 by G. Orwell"

I would also like to second Dombey and Son

message 25: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 130 comments I would like to nominate The Good Earth

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I would like to suggest a small change to the procedure, if it is acceptable to the majority.

In order to give people who might not visit AAB (or Goodreads) every day more opportunity to participate, I suggest that we wait a few days before taking "seconds". That way more books will be able to be proposed and people can take some time to look over the suggestions before seconding.

Thoughts?

message 27: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Seems OK - And you seem to be starting it now. So when is the date when the actual seconding can start?

Or will it be different in each case - ie a certain number of days since the relevant original nomination?

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jean wrote: "Seems OK - And you seem to be starting it now. So when is the date when the actual seconding can start?

Or will it be different in each case - ie a certain number of days since the relevant origi..."

I haven't firmly started as I would like to hear feedback. I have been thinking about how to make the nominations more accessible to people, as we seem to nominate and second books so rapidly each time! I don't know if this idea will work or not but it was the best idea I had.

I was thinking of starting seconds maybe 3-4 days after nominations?

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am OK, with the change, Leslie.

I thought it was kind of fun how you had to quick though.... Anyhow, I am happy with both methods.

I just wish that those who vote take more of an active part in the discussion. I have no idea how to tackle that!

message 30: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I like this idea, Leslie, it makes a lot of sense. I think it would be good to try it.

message 31: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I think it's a problem with lots of groups, that the people who like to vote don't always take part! What seems to happen sometimes is that the people who end up reading the book are not even the ones who voted for it! LOL

The seconding delay strategy is an interesting idea though. I haven't come across that before, so will be interested to see how it works in practise, if it goes ahead.

Like Chrissie, I do think it's the sign of a healthy group, if there are a lot of quick nominations. It shows active participation :)

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2015 02:00PM) (new)

I also like the seconding delay. Let's give it a go now anyway.

I think 1984 has been a group read relatively recently. Would it be a good idea to have a time limit on nominating a book for a second time?

EDIT: sorry, I think both 1984 and To Kill a Mockingbird were organised readalongs so this point is irrelevant!

message 33: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 130 comments Giving people more of an opportunity to participate is good. I like your suggestion Leslie!

message 34: by Pink (new)

Pink I think that idea might work Leslie, though I could imagine that we'd still have the same race for seconding within a few hours! The only other solution I see would be allowing nominations to stay open until the 15th without setting limits on how many books can make it to polling. That way people could continue nominating and seconding for two weeks.

As for the problem of participation once votes are in....this is always a problem in all groups, though I think we have enough solid members here to get more than a few comments each month. Not the case in all groups!

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pink wrote: "I think that idea might work Leslie, though I could imagine that we'd still have the same race for seconding within a few hours! The only other solution I see would be allowing nominations to stay ..."

Ha ha ha - most likely! But it does at least allow some 'later' books to enter the running (I hope).

As for participation in the group reads, I agree with all you said.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Will there be a general announcement made when people are allowed to second the nominations? Is there a risk that the delay will result in a loss of interest in participating in the process, or is there enough enthusiasm within AAB to sustain interest through the period of the delay?

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Sandy wrote: "Will there be a general announcement made when people are allowed to second the nominations? Is there a risk that the delay will result in a loss of interest in participating in the process, or is ..."

I can make a general announcement as well as posting here.

message 39: by Pink (new)

Pink Quick question....if we've already nominated, does this still mean that we can't second other books?

message 40: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Pink wrote: "Quick question....if we've already nominated, does this still mean that we can't second other books?"

Yes, you can't do both.

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink Ok thanks :)

message 42: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Any other nominations?

I suspect that Pink was accurate in her prediction that the seconding will occur in a flurry. I plan to open seconding tomorrow so now is the time for any additional titles!

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Let's start the seconding process!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I originally seconded Dombey and Son but I think I will change my second to The Good Earth as I'm planning on reading it in July anyway

I second The Good Earth

message 45: by Leslie (last edited May 07, 2015 05:04PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments OK! Once again, these are the books that have been nominated:

Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens (seconded)
The Tin Drum by Günter Grass (seconded)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (seconded)
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
1984 by George Orwell
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (seconded)
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (seconded)
The Complete Short Novels by Anton Chekhov (seconded)

message 46: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11973 comments Mod
I'd like to second The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have updated message #47 and included my own seconding of Gunter Grass's The Tin Drum.

message 49: by Greg (last edited May 07, 2015 12:15PM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
I'd like to second To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Only one more slot open... I wonder which it will be!

« previous 1