Stephen King Fans discussion

Everything's Eventual
This topic is about Everything's Eventual
Short Stories & Collections > Everything's Eventual

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1104 comments Mod
This is our book for May 2015. For now we can use one thread, but if we need to branch out for particular stories, we can do that later.

Please mark spoilers for the stories as you discuss. It's best if you mark the story with the spoiler instead of just putting "spoiler". (We won't know what story you're talking about without opening the spoiler.)

Example: Lunch at the Gotham Café (view spoiler)

Polly Calabro | 10 comments Read the first 3 short stories..the first one about the autopsy was freaky but funny at the same time!

Michael Prelee (michaelprelee) | 5 comments I really enjoyed this book but I was completely lost while reading Lunch at the Gotham Cafe. Was there some subtext I was missing or was it just straight forward?

Michelle I love the story about the boy, the devil and the bee ! My favorite so far.

Polly Calabro | 10 comments Thw devil and the bee was so scary hehe

Luciana Damasceno (lucydamasceno) | 77 comments I haven't read them all but loved 1408 and Autopsy room four so far. Discussion is very quiet this month, don't you guys l Iike short stories or have you all read them all before?

message 7: by Michael (last edited May 22, 2015 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Prelee (michaelprelee) | 5 comments Luciana, 1408 was a great story. A great ghost story. I know a movie was made but I've never seen it.

Polly Calabro | 10 comments @luciana, i was also wondering why this discussion page was quiet. I just read the story everything eventual. I wonder what was in those letters and emails..

JXYPS (inkbloodmilk) | 22 comments I read all of the stories here, and some of them are my favorite Kingians: "The Man in the Black Suit", The Little Sisters of Eluria", "L.T.'s Theory of Pets", "The Road Virus Heads North", and "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe". I loved it.

Kandice | 4053 comments I'm re-reading, some for the umpteenth time. I don't really "get" The Man in the Black Suit, but it is a stay with you kind of creep out.

Autopsy Room Four is exactly what he meant it to be. Very visual freak out like an episode of Alfred Hitchcock or Twilight Zone.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite was definitely The Road Virus Heads North. I've never been creeped by a story like this before, let alone a short one. Brilliant.

Kandice | 4053 comments My favorite has to be the title story, Everything's Eventual. It just shows how you can go along and go along without realizing that you shouldn't be!

I love the names of the shapes and how far fetched it is, but King makes me believe anyway for the course of those pages.

message 13: by Masa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Masa Burris | 7 comments loved this book

Kandice | 4053 comments Isla wrote: "Hi guys! My favorite story is also the title story. I listened to the audiobook and Justin Long plays a fantastic dickey. I love dickeys day board, it just has a funny ring to it.

My question is ..."

Not that I'm aware of. My copy has 14, and so does my audio-book copy. Occasionally audio-books are abridged, but it seems starnge they would abridge a short story collection.

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments The one story that stands out was all that you love will be carried away... well written, excellent character development plus the perfect ending... priceless!

Kandice | 4053 comments I just checked and I see that there is an abridged audio version with only 5 stories of the actual 14.

Autopsy Room 4
The Little Sisters of Eluria
Everything's Eventual
The Fourth Quarter
The Road Virus Heads North

Doreen Petersen | 245 comments I just started this book this morning and so far I'm loving every bit of it!

David | 15 comments Luciana wrote: "I haven't read them all but loved 1408 and Autopsy room four so far. Discussion is very quiet this month, don't you guys l Iike short stories or have you all read them all before?"
I am reading Everything Eventual all the way through at the moment. I really liked Autopsy Room Four! The story sounds scary but I thought it was very funny and did laugh out aloud in a couple of places.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 389 comments David wrote: "Luciana wrote: "I haven't read them all but loved 1408 and Autopsy room four so far. Discussion is very quiet this month, don't you guys l Iike short stories or have you all read them all before?"
..."

If you haven't seen it, the NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES DVD includes "Autopsy Room Four," with the guy who played the older Bill Denbrough in the original IT movie.

Also, there was an old ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS episode ("Breakdown" with Joseph Cotton) that shared the premise of "Autopsy Room Four."

I liked them both.

Doreen Petersen | 245 comments Oh this book just keeps getting better and better. Reading the short story The Man in the Black Suit now and to be honest it's kinda creeping me out.

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments King received an award for the man in the black suit

Doreen Petersen | 245 comments Kenneth wrote: "King received an award for the man in the black suit"

Really? King is a magnificent writer.

Latasha (latasha513) | 383 comments I have this but haven't read it yet.

Kandice | 4053 comments I really love the title story. It's just so fascinating to me. I read somewhere that his idea from that story stemmed from an image of a boy dropping change in a storm drain. The ties to the Dark Tower make it double exciting.

And Dinky? What a great name for a character!

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments SK really does shine in the short story and novella format....

Doreen Petersen | 245 comments Kenneth wrote: "SK really does shine in the short story and novella format...."

Something tells me Stephen King probably still has slew of short stories just waiting to be told.

mrbooks | 1469 comments everything is eventual you will just have to wait and see.

message 28: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Balzano | 123 comments MrB - that would be quite Eventual, I think!

Erin  | 82 comments I read this one over the summer. My 2 favorite stories were 1408 & The Road Virus Heads North.

Murray Moore | 105 comments Just finished Everything's Eventual , I enjoyed the story with Roland from the Dark Tower, and 1408 was good as was the bulk of them. I really didn't care for All That You Love Will be Carried Away or L.T' s Theory of Pets and That Feeling,you Can Only Say What It Is In French I also didn't care for. But overall I liked the book. I think Stephen King really does write very good short stories.

Derrick | 630 comments Just started reading this today. Enjoying it so far....

Derrick | 630 comments Ok so I just finished reading The Little Sisters of Eluria. I just have one question: is the whole Dark Tower series like this? Because this was amazing! I definitely need to get my poop in a group and read the entire saga.

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Derrick wrote: "Ok so I just finished reading The Little Sisters of Eluria. I just have one question: is the whole Dark Tower series like this? Because this was amazing! I definitely need to get my poop in a group..."

Oh yeah. Only better. We are only two books in, so you could catch up pretty quickly. Book three is a month or so away. So get the first two books and start reading.

Derrick | 630 comments Nick wrote: "Derrick wrote: "Ok so I just finished reading The Little Sisters of Eluria. I just have one question: is the whole Dark Tower series like this? Because this was amazing! I definitely need to get my..."

I own books 1-4. Remember we had this conversation the other day over on a different thread.

Derrick | 630 comments Just finished reading the title story in this collection. (view spoiler)

Kandice | 4053 comments Derrick wrote: "Just finished reading the title story in this collection. [spoilers removed]"

Yes! It's also very similar to the breakers in DT. Dinky Eranshaw is one of my favorite character names ever!

message 37: by LTJ (new) - added it

LTJ (ltj81) | 19 comments I just picked this up and am looking forward to reading it in May :-)

Derrick | 630 comments This whole collection was pretty good in my opinion!

message 39: by LTJ (new) - added it

LTJ (ltj81) | 19 comments I'm so glad to hear that as I've never read this one! Just Night Shift and the Bazaar of Bad Dreams, both of which I absolutely love.

Latasha (latasha513) | 383 comments I’m gonna read this one with y’all too.

Derrick | 630 comments There's a couple of really good stories in this that tie into The Dark Tower series also!

message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments I've read a lot of it, but I'm in for a re-read.

Kandice | 4053 comments Dinky is one of my favorite characters, and in the foreword or the afterword, I forget which, King says where he got the idea for the title story. I love that!

message 44: by LTJ (new) - added it

LTJ (ltj81) | 19 comments I'm new to this group, so we can discuss this novel in this thread or will a new one be made for it?

message 45: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments LTJ wrote: "I'm new to this group, so we can discuss this novel in this thread or will a new one be made for it?"

Welcome, LTJ. Discuss here.

Derrick | 630 comments LTJ wrote: "I'm new to this group, so we can discuss this novel in this thread or will a new one be made for it?"

They should also create a new thread for the group to read it in May.

message 47: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments Derrick wrote: "LTJ wrote: "I'm new to this group, so we can discuss this novel in this thread or will a new one be made for it?"

They should also create a new thread for the group to read it in May."

Actually, you're right, Derrick.

message 48: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2568 comments Mod
LTJ wrote: "I'm new to this group, so we can discuss this novel in this thread or will a new one be made for it?"

Hello!! This book is our Book of the Month for May so you can discuss it here or there. It just so happens it's next in line for the books we're reading together.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael Roch | 389 comments Interesting. I would have thought you'd have just moved this thread over to the discussion section to keep the discussion in one place. Good thing I didn't bet money on it.