Peanut Blossom Book Club for Recovering Readers discussion

Landline
This topic is about Landline
Lists of Recommended Books > The problem with Landline

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diana (latinamomreads) | 77 comments Mod
I started this book as an audio book just after finishing A Vintage Affair and, although many bookclub members loved it (or liked it a lot?), I can't get into it! I absolutely loved A Vintage Affair and this book just seems so slow with no highs to speak of. It doesn't help the fact that the audiobook's narrator has a monotone voice during narrative parts. She adds actor's inflections for the different characters, but still. Do I keep going or do I lay it to rest?

Erica (ericacovey) I loved it, but I can understand why it might be hard to get into. (Especially if you don't enjoy the audiobook reader.) Have you tried reading it instead? I've found that there are some audiobooks that the reader enhances and others that I think it does the writing a disservice.
As for whether to keep going or not, I'm trying to remember if there's anything that changes significantly in the pacing...and I'm thinking not, though I read it quite a while ago. It's kind of a coming-of-age meets midlife-crisis story, so it's all sort of introspective and internal growth-type change. Which I'm a fan of, but it's not everybody's thing. I mean, it's definitely not the same highs and lows as Eleanor and Park, plot-wise, though Landline's climax--no spoilers--has a pressed-for-time sort of tension thing going.
I'd say try to get a copy of the book at some point and maybe try again. Then if it's still not working for you, it's probably not the book for you.

message 3: by Janie (new)

Janie Peace | 4 comments I couldn't get into Fangirl, and honestly only got through about 100 pages of this before I stopped. Maybe it's not "my thing" at all... I'm moving on & might come back again later, too!
We've got plenty more to choose from! :-)

Yes, I may stop. I have the hard copy and still haven't picked it up. I also have Moriarty's My Husband's Secret waiting for me.

message 5: by Janie (new)

Janie Peace | 4 comments Diana wrote: "Yes, I may stop. I have the hard copy and still haven't picked it up. I also have Moriarty's My Husband's Secret waiting for me."
I'm about to start that one, too! :-)

Well, i finished the book. Meh. It was ok. She was a bit too self-involved for my taste. Her growth as a character was too slow and not enough. Oh well.

message 7: by Janie (new)

Janie Peace | 4 comments Diana wrote: "Well, i finished the book. Meh. It was ok. She was a bit too self-involved for my taste. Her growth as a character was too slow and not enough. Oh well."

You finished "Landline" or "My Husband's Secret"?

Landline. I haven't started My Husband's Secret. But my library just delivered both ebooks Garden Spells and First Frost. Bookworm's dilemma...