The Well in the Garden Poetry Group discussion

May 2015 Challenge > Trevor EBanks - May 2015 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Ebanks | 3 comments Questions of May

Mother, can I go into the garden to play?
"Yes," answered my mother,
"But it isn't 'can', it is may!"
But it's not May, Mother
It's the middle of July
Mother shook her head and said,
"Why do I even bother try?"

Can I go to Jenny's house and spend the day?
"Yes," answered my mother,
"But it isn't 'can', it is may!"
May is my other friend, Mother
And she is away.
Mother rolled her eyes and gave a sigh
"Why did I get such a child?
Why? Why? Why?"

Mother may I go swimming in the sea?
Mother, will you come and go with me?
"Ah, now you've got it right,
But, no you can't and no I won't
Because it is the middle of the night!"

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Crean | 246 comments Mod
LOL - That's great Trevor. I love how language is viewed so differently by the generations and this can be seen in the way our constant misuse of grammar leads the traditional to change and become the norm! Who cares if its may I or can I - the child asks - the mother answers - they understand each other perfectly. I look forward to seeing more of your poetic observations :)

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor Ebanks | 3 comments Thanks Laura. You (and other readers) might like my book. It is available free until midnight tonight at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poems-Lovesic... or the other Amazon websites world wide. A nice review would be greatly appreciated.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Please feel free to add your book the group's bookshelf here - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 5: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments Nice, Trevor! I was traumatized in fifth grade when I said to my teacher, "Can I go out?" and she loomed over me and repeated, "Can you??? Can you???" LOL but I still remember it.

message 6: by Laura (new)

I have a traumatic school memory too - having my knickers pulled down and spanked over a teacher's lap in front of the class just for passing a message to my friend to ask to borrow a rubber because we were afraid to talk in her class! Can you imagine what would happen to her now if it happened LOL

message 7: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments Oh, it sometimes amazes me that we all survived school!

message 8: by Laura (new)

I know - I often wonder how long it will be before school becomes a beautiful, relaxed, enriching experience for everyone? Hopefully at some point in the misty future

message 9: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Simmens | 64 comments :-(