The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Avengers 2 (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments The Avengers 2 — I'll probably see it today. Here's a review by The Onion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogx_2...

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments This movie is one of the best action films. It definitely goes to my top 5 list sorted by action sequences. And if Ultron doesn't fully fulfill high expectations, Avengers themselves are as always great and charming. Teamwork is great, humorous chemistry is there, visual effects are stunning. Gone to see it twice.

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6888 comments Mod
I enjoyed it. They did a good job of raising the stakes. There was maybe a bit too many subplots, but I was never bored.

Not sure if I'll go to see any other comic movies this year. Maybe Ant Man.

message 4: by Kaleb (last edited May 03, 2015 03:06PM) (new)

Kaleb Avengers 2 was phenomenal! The action was suspenseful as always, the comedy was spot on, Hawkeye finally had the opportunity to stand in the spotlight, and the movie was just plain fun.
I did have a few gripes though. Some of the characters weren't as fleshed out as I would've liked; especially Black Widow. I felt like they dumbed down her character a bit in this movie. And Ultron's character motivation didn't make much sense either. He's alive for all of five seconds and decided the best way to save humanity is to destroy it?! Where's the sense in that?
Other than those minor flaws, I adored this movie for everything it had to offer. This was a nice set up for Infinity War.

message 5: by Tamahome (last edited May 03, 2015 03:11PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Ultron looked like Jack Palance. But I liked his creepy dialog. Give Hulk more lines or he will smash puny screenwriter. It's amazing how many superhero trailers there were. Fantastic Four might be good.

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Kaleb wrote: "He's alive for all of five seconds and decided the best way to save humanity is to destroy it?! Where's the sense in that?"

He's a machine. 5 seconds is a long time in today's computer terms. It's an eternity for something that sophisticated.

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited May 03, 2015 05:03PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Cant say I see it.

message 9: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I thought it was really good. The first Avengers was such a great piece of film making, there was going to be some kind of come down, and I thought it was that the movie spent a lot of its time setting up Civil War and Infinity Wars. The last movie was a pay off for one of the biggest build ups in cinema history. This was a great movie, that felt like it was kicking off phase 3.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah...let's just say I wasn't happy with the way Black Widow's back story went.

message 11: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments ^It seemed to be a tie-in to Agent Carter. There was an assassin's training camp in that. Seemed very similar to the one Black Widow went to.

message 12: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Anja wrote: "Yeah...let's just say I wasn't happy with the way Black Widow's back story went."

I think SNL agrees with you.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/787259

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I liked it a lot. I was a bit weary going in, since I'd heard from some corners that it disappointed. It didn't disappoint me. Glorious popcorn flick.

message 14: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Stirling | 80 comments Great movie but it lacked the tear-jerker moment that the first one had with Coulson's death. The action scene at the beginning was beautifully done though, and the humor was a nice bit of fun.

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Coulson came back in Agents of Shield anyway.

message 16: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Stirling | 80 comments Yes but that didn't lessen the effect of it in the first film. They created a character that the audience actually cared about, then killed him... It's not like a redshirt death, where you don't really care that police officer number 18 dies. Coulson was more like Sulu, if he dies you get upset. This movie didn't quite have that effect.

message 17: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments You didn't care about the person who died? :) Joss Whedon always has to kill somebody!

message 18: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I'd agree with Ariel that is had less punch for me as a viewer, but it was significant to the plot/other characters.

As to the Coulson thing, I don't think them reviving him for the TV show takes away from the movie at all. But then I watched the movie before they created the show.

The only scenario I can think of is if you are a first time watcher of the movie and he dies and you're like "Meh. He's not really dead. He's on the TV show." then it's been lessened.

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I'm a long-time fan of The Avengers, as I started reading them regularly sometime around 1975. The three characters I've always disliked were Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye and Quicksilver, and of all of the Avengers' foes, the Big Bad I liked the least was Ultron.

So no one was more surprised than I was to find that I actually cared about and enjoyed all four of those characters. That is an amazing feat.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time. I've heard some people call it confusing, which is baffling. I can only assume they have ADHD because the plot and sub-stories of each character couldn't be clearer.

It's a ton of fun and there's more than a hint of digs against American interventionist policy, which couldn't be more timely, but you don't need to read anything deeper into it to enjoy it. The fight between Iron Man and Hulk is amazing. That's half the reason why we see these movies.

There was also that lovely poignant moment in the Quinjet near the end. Not something you usually see in films from the competition or lesser studios doing Marvel movies, who either ignore the small character moments or clobber you over the head with them.

message 20: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments What happened to Gwyneth Paltrow?

message 21: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments ^Too expensive or not interested. Natalie Portman got the brushoff as well.

From reading the Hollywood rags it seems that Robert Downey Jr. was offered a bucketload of money to star, but that would have meant the other actors got less. He actually took less, requested and got less of a starring role, and got more for the other actors. For which I absolutely love the guy.

But part of any film is salaries, and two more for what would essentially be cameos wouldn't really add to the film's appeal. Since the cost for those parts would be in the millions, I'm good for the salaries to go to the core actors. Plus the minor ones willing to play ball. Loved seeing the Scandinavian scientist from Thor, and the Falcon, even though the parts were small.

message 22: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 241 comments I surprisingly was not a big fan of the movie. I loved the 1st one but I felt that the 2nd one did not match up to the precedent set by the first. It's possible that the movie theater having some slight audio problems may have hindered my experience but as a whole I felt that the pacing was all wrong for this film.

When there were funny moments in the film, they were genuinely funny moments especially the ones involving Thor's hammer. However, I also felt that too many of the characters had witty one-liners and comebacks that felt a little out of place for me.

I got the impression that all these characters kind of developed the same voice (with the exception of Thor) because they all seemed to have something clever or witty to say in response to something. So the dialogue and the humor was getting a little too samey for me.

I also felt that Ultron had terrible lines that made him seem -too- human and not enough machine. I think the humor worked better when the villains weren't trying to tell jokes or be funny. Ultron on the other hand was constantly given lines like, "Oh for God's sake" or he'd have some kind of a light hearted joke to say.

That didn't make sense to me nor did his plot for destruction make any sense either.

The opening action sequence was indeed cool but it felt rushed and way too soon. I mean, I just sat down started eating my popcorn, and we're already in an action sequence set piece battle without any precursor to why it's happening?

Great action sequences need to have emotion and high stakes. For the intro of Age of Ultron I felt that we were starting on an action sequence just because.

There was some pretty bad CG used during Thor's fight sequences and the final action sequence felt rushed and lacked the bombastic and seamless connection the first movie had.

Also umm... when one of the characters goes "missing" I was hoping for a bigger emotional moment. It seemed like after the character was gone no one really gave a crap.

Overall, it was still funny, the hulkbuster sequence was amazing, it was a lot of fun, but it certainly wasn't as good as the first film.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Ultron Funk You Up

http://youtu.be/erEeoLnnyS8

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Why did they not just all die from hypoxia at 18000 feet? Or at least collapse? Big credibility failure there, as far as I was concerned (never mind that they were actually _at_ 18000 feet and having a major battle!)

"You do seem very gullible"
"Well I was born yesterday!"

message 25: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments This might help explain how Quicksilver got shot. He just couldn't catch his breath from all that running three miles up.

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel K | 164 comments Tim wrote: "Why did they not just all die from hypoxia at 18000 feet? Or at least collapse? Big credibility failure there, as far as I was concerned (never mind that they were actually _at_ 18000 feet and havi..."

Why not to ask then how they being left unscathed every time someone throws any of the superheroes into concrete or metal wall? Or how Banner's pants being stretched enough every time he goes Hulk? Or any other stuff. Its Marvel superheroes stuff, who cares about biology or physics?

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Yeah, I'd be prepared to say that if it was just the superheroes - it's a catch-all, and you're suspending disbelief anyhow. But civilians? IMHO it would have been better to cut that line, then they could plausibly have been in breathable air/below max operating altitude.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Tim wrote: "Why did they not just all die from hypoxia at 18000 feet? Or at least collapse? Big credibility failure there, as far as I was concerned (never mind that they were actually _at_ 18000 feet and havi..."

Motorcycle-ridin' monkeys.

Lemme 'splain:

I find it interesting where people's Willing Suspension of Disbelief breaks. As Daniel mentions, there are far more ridiculous things which should break your WSOD long before you get to that point, but everyone has their breaking point... and it's usually something minor.

"Motorcycle-ridin' monkeys" comes from a conversation I had with a movie reviewer I used to work with, who was simply eviscerating the movie Jumanji, as if it had pushed him down the stairs and stolen his lunch money or something. One of his big complaints was that the giant spiders looked "too plasticky." To which I responded, "But you're fine with the motorcycle-ridin' monkeys?"

My brother was thoroughly enjoying Honey, I Shrunk the Kids until they got to the part where they befriended the ant. Then he turned on the movie like it was the stupidest thing he had ever seen. Because, and I quote, "ants don't act that way!" And I was like, "But you're fine with the fact they were shrunk down to an eighth of an inch and could still breathe air and not have any problems with heat build-up or a million other impossible biological and physics things?"

I'm not saying we should simply accept everything a movie presents, no matter how silly that movie is, but when someone starts nitpicking stuff that is somewhere around Number 47 on the list of Factual Problems With This Movie, I do kind of look at them askance.

In reality, Tony Stark would have been turned into something quite similar to red jelly the very first time he flew his original Iron Man suit, because he fell a looonnng way to the ground, to the point where he made an impact crater in the desert. The human body can't withstand that sort of punishment without becoming gooey, if not outright liquefied. We accept that Tony survives falls that should kill him, as well as things like direct missile strikes "because armor." Really he'd be very dead.

message 29: by Molly (last edited May 19, 2015 07:43PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 134 comments I enjoyed it, but I don't think it quite captured the magic of the first. I'm sure there was a ton of pressure on the writers/director/producers to recreate the success of the first movie, and I think it shows.

I wish they'd given the story a little room to breathe--for example, I would have loved to have seen more of the effects of the Scarlet Witch's psychic attack on the Avengers. I really wanted to see them questioning themselves and each other, but they come back together so quickly to fight Ultron, you don't really get much of that.

I was also pretty bummed about the Black Widow storyline. It just really rubbed me the wrong way that her big psychological issue was so directly tied to her womanhood. I wanted her "graduation" to be something crazy, like killing someone she was close to or battling to the death with one of her fellow assassins in training. But nope, clearly the biggest trauma any woman can face is not being able to have children. It just felt so reductive. Sigh.

message 30: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Erm, her graduation involved murdering a man in cold blood.

The sterilization was just part of the Red Room protocol to keep them focused.

message 31: by Molly (last edited May 21, 2015 04:34PM) (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) | 134 comments Yeah, she killed a guy. She's in spy/assassin school, what do you expect? I would assume she had to complete a few such assignments before they give her 'Black Widow' ranking. But she says of her graduation:

“You know what my final test was in the Red Room? They sterilized me, said it was one less thing to worry about. You think you’re the only monster on the team?”

We were promised a 'red ledger' reveal and got an infertility reveal instead. As a fan, I was disappointed.

message 32: by John (Taloni) (last edited May 21, 2015 04:46PM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments I'm more annoyed that Marvel tried to turn her into an ersatz Betty Banner. I don't think Joss came up with that on his own.

message 33: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Molly wrote: "Yeah, she killed a guy. She's in spy/assassin school, what do you expect? I would assume she had to complete a few such assignments before they give her 'Black Widow' ranking. But she says of her g..."

Weren't those two separate phrases divided by an edit revealing her target to be a hooded man?

message 34: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "I'm more annoyed that Marvel tried to turn her into an ersatz Betty Banner. I don't think Joss came up with that on his own."

Seems to me she was reaching out to someone who could genuinely understand what she'd been through, but Banner was too emotionally messed up to reciprocate.

message 35: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments Molly wrote: "Yeah, she killed a guy. She's in spy/assassin school, what do you expect? I would assume she had to complete a few such assignments before they give her 'Black Widow' ranking. But she says of her g..."

Banner had just said something along the lines of "I can't have a family life with kids." I thought he indicated that he was sterile, but my husband disagrees, just that he was saying that it was too dangerous. This he offers as proof that he is a dangerous monster and can't have a relationship. She then responds that she can't have kids anyway. She had been pared away to the bare minimum in order to be made into an infiltration and killing machine. The infertility is just a big piece of them taking away her humanity. She knows that he will be kinder in considering her situation than he will about his own, and thus she points out to him how he's holding himself to a harsher standard. And she also makes herself vulnerable, and communicates something he is going to need to know if they're going to pursue a relationship.

That dialogue could stand to have been clearer and more explicit about what it was trying to do, I think. I hear tell that that scene had to be compressed.