YA and Beyond discussion

MONTHLY BOOK DISCUSSIONS > May 2015: Keeping the Castle

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 6961 comments Mod
Place to discuss Jenny's hidden gem book Keeping the Castle Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I'm still waiting for my Inter-library loan. I'm starting to wonder if it got lost.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Ut oh! I need to request it myself but my library is normally pretty fast.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I was going to check it out to I could reread with you guys, but it was checked out. So hopefully I'll get it soon!

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Well boo Jenny! Hopefully it comes in before the end of the month :)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments My ILL did come in so I started the book last night. Mr. Fredericks was not what I expected.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Wow. I need to get moving!

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I got my library book yesterday!!! Will probably not start it until next week though :)

message 9: by Heidi (new)

This is at the library for me. I am going to listen to the audiobook because the clip of the narration sounded good :)

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments YAY Heidi!

message 11: by Heidi (new)

I started it yesterday :)

message 12: by Heidi (new)

I am nearly done with CD 2 out of 6 and really enjoying this one so far.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments YAYYYYY!!!! :)

message 14: by Heidi (new)

I hope to finish up today or this weekend. I am on CD 5 out of 6 and am really enjoying it. It is very Jane Austen-esque. I was not a fan of the protaganist for awhile because she seemed a little full of herself but she is growing on me.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Finished it and highly enjoyed it! Great pick Jenny.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments WOOT! I just finished my reread last night as well, Heidi! I loved it just as much the second time :)

(view spoiler)

I'm really glad you liked it Heidi! I hope everyone else does. Its such a fun, quick read :)

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "I hope to finish up today or this weekend. I am on CD 5 out of 6 and am really enjoying it. It is very Jane Austen-esque. I was not a fan of the protaganist for awhile because she seemed a littl..."

Agree completely on the MC. All of the characters in this are very flawed, and she is very vain and arrogant, although her heart is in the right place (trying to support her family) but yes, she does grow on you!

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I finished the book, too. I've just been busy and haven't had much time to get on GR.

I enjoyed the book. I liked when Mr Fredericks pointed out that Althea always corrected his manners but not others' bad manners and wasn't it poor manners to correct others?

(view spoiler)

I enjoyed the banter throughout and the fact that both main characters had flaws. Wonderful pick! I decided to try Entwined since it was also on your list.

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments YAY Becky!! So glad you liked it! I also really loved their banter :)

I hope you like Entwined, I LOVED it!

message 20: by Becky (last edited Jun 15, 2015 07:02AM) (new)

Becky (bek11) | 451 comments I finally wrote a quick review for this and I thought that if you liked this, you may enjoy The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Becky wrote: "I finally wrote a quick review for this and I thought that if you liked this, you may enjoy The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery"

I LOVED this book when I read it in college. So sweet and unlike her Anne books :)

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments I don't think I've read that one Becky, I may have to try it!

message 23: by Heidi (new)

You do Jenny!!!!

message 24: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) Finally picked it up from the library. And for me (I don’t really read historical)it’s a gem! 5-star. Not for the character-building etc., but really good for entertainment. Liked the humor and the little details –like everybody’s scared of wobbly chairs. The style –some turn of phrases are very Austen-like and with the matchmaking and painting-to-be-framed reminds me of Austen’s Emma. Good pick! and a quick read too.

message 25: by ILyk (new)

ILyk Tourid (annvalane) I'll read more of kindl and waiting for woman on the wall from library. Can't wait. The Woman in the Wall by Patrice Kindl

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments YAY, Anna! I was hoping you all would like it! I thought it was immensely entertaining and hilarious myself!

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Jun 18, 2015 03:57AM) (new)

Yay Anna!! Great pick Jenny!

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 1572 comments Thank you :)