The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2015 > Nominations for July 2015

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (last edited May 25, 2015 11:54PM) (new)

Jo | 1092 comments This month we will start nominating by decade so this month we being with the 1900's. Here you can nominate any scifi novel or collection of short stories written between 1900 and 1909 other than The Purple Cloud which was read last time round.

Nominations
The Iron Heel by Jack London
The War in the Air by H G Wells

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments I'm going to nominate The Iron Heel by Jack London from 1908

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments If anybody needs any ideas they can try this

http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF...

Looking at the list, I didn't realise E.M. Forster wrote any scifi but the short story The Machine Stops looks good, think i'm going to have to read it.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1092 comments No other nominations so far for this decade, not sure if its because of the choice or people having read the main novels from this decade.

I've just finished The Machine Stops. It's a short story only about 50 pages and it's really good. The ideas are impressive, particularly when you consider it was written in 1909.

message 5: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments It's not like there's a long list to choose from. H G Wells published a couple in this decade. My library has The Iron Heel, so if it should be selected, I'll look forward to reading it.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4208 comments Mod
"The Machine Stops" is a really good, quick story, Jo. Thanks. I found it here for free & read it during lunch.
http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/praj...

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve | 1 comments The Machine Stops is essential and so damned relevant today that it makes me angry.

That said if you need a slate of nominees I think Wells's The War in the Air was published in 1908 and I remember reading about half of it and can't remember why I stopped because I recall it was pretty enjoyable. It was very much like a Steampunk adventure that now reads like alternate history. Must have been all the zepplins (or dirigibles I can never remember the difference)

message 8: by David (new)

David Merrill | 240 comments The Iron Heel is pretty relevent to today also. I read half of it and stopped for some reason too. I'd love a good excuse to go back and finish it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.