Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Vanity presses

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments This one is for Riley:)
I'm about to launch a Kickstarter campaign and I'm thinking of using a hard cover of my book as one of the prizes. I just read the latest SIA Newsletter where Ann mentioned a disreputable Vanity press but does anyone know of a... I can't believe I'm going to say this, "reputable" one?

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Marsden (nepharid) | 12 comments Doesn't Lulu or LightningSource print hardcovers? I use Createspace and I know they don't, but I thought one of the other Print-on-Demand guys did it.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I use Lulu for hardcovers and have no complaints.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments I don't think you can use the words "reputable" and "vanity press" in the same sentence :)

I haven't used Lulu myself, but have heard form authors that they did a good job with hardcovers.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Vanity press and print on demand are often used interchangably, but these days they are not the same thing. A vanity press is a press. They require a purchase of a certain number of books to offset the cost of printing. Print on demand, like Lulu or Createspace and several others, cost nothing to you except the materials and shipping should you decide to purchase your own books.

The only one I know of that does hard cover is Lulu and I have seen no complaints from anyone who has created a hardback with them.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Speaking of Createspace, I just ordered copies of all my books in paperback, all with glossy covers. They look so beautiful I'd hate to part with them if someone offered to buy. The same goes with Lulu. They do good work.

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Funny, Ken! I do the matte covers because I find it works a bit like soft focus to hide any imperfections in my cover art. :)

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I tried matte early on, but found they looked too flat for my taste. Glossy is definitely the way to go for eye-catching covers.

message 9: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Vanity press and print on demand are often used interchangably, but these days they are not the same thing. A vanity press is a press. They require a purchase of a certain number of books to offset..."

This.

message 10: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Linder (haydendlinder) | 85 comments Really Riley? I give whole thread about Vanity presses and all you can come up with is "This?" I expected a bit more of a rant really.

Back on topic. So I'm gonna give Lulu a try. Again this is just for a prize option on my Kikcstarter campaign so I'll let you guys know how it works out in case I get good results and someone else want to follow suit.

Thank s for all the input... Hugs and kisses... Honey Badger don't care. It just takes what it wants.

message 11: by Ken (last edited May 04, 2015 05:05AM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Lulu is much like Createspace, except that they do allow hardcovers, along with paperbacks and ebooks, and if you opt for wider distribution your book can go to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and have them available to libraries. I created hardcovers for my novels, haven't sold a single one except to me, but they're a nice option to have, though a bit pricey. And they look good on my bookshelf.