Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

The Fade Out, Act One
This topic is about The Fade Out, Act One
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: The Fade Out, Vol.1 by Ed Brubaker - May 2015

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Corto Maltese | 78 comments Ed Brubaker ans Sean Phillips are among my favourite creative teams in Comics, if not THE favourite team.
After their addiction inducing takes on crime noir with "Criminals" and after having thrown a little Cthulhu-style mystery in the mix with "Fatale", they seem to have decided to reach the very core of the genre by setting a noir scenery in the film-industry, the classic sin city.
Right from the start they mean buseness and give the reader a level of corruption and depravity that leaves jaws open (or is greedily licked up by fans of noir like myself ;-).
VERY promising first volume. If this keeps on with the same quality, it may very well become Brubaker/Phillips' absolute masterpiece, even surpassing the fantastic "Criminal"-books.

Davidg | 34 comments This was a good book, no argument from me there. I do feel that the hype has been a little excessive on this one. If you listen to any comic related podcasts you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm certainly coming along for the ride but I won't be rushing out to buy every new issue. I'd like to have gotten my hands on the oversized first issue but they sold out fast and I'm not willing to drop £20 on it now.

Corto Maltese | 78 comments I didn't realize there was a massive hype over this. Well maybe because I don't listen to podcasts (can you recommend any?). Me, I'm just stoked for any new Brubaker/Phillips collab.
I'm absolutely with you, when it comes to shelling out ridiculous amounts of money for single issues. Come to think of it, I don't care for single issues at all (anymore). Nowadays I'm a firm believer in waiting for the paperback.

Davidg | 34 comments Hi Corto, I listen to podcasts all the time so I can certainly recommend a few. Word balloon is one of the best for talking to comic creators. Brubaker himself was last on it in May of last year. Kevin smith's Fatman on batman is often brilliant for guests as is the comics alternative which covers everything but the big two. You can hear up to date reviews on ifanboy and major spoilers but they cover more than just comics. My personal favourite is cape crisis which may not have had any guest creators on and doesn't have the most in depth reviews but I've followed it from the beginning and just enjoy listening to those guys.
If you try any of those I'd love to hear your thoughts on them so either message me direct or start a thread on the subject here.