The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead question

Continuing The Hollows
Chris Richards Chris Richards May 02, 2015 09:03PM
Hey guys, I have a problem that might seem petty, but it's actually bothering me quite a bit.

My problem is that I really LOVE The Hollows series, but it's getting harder and harder for me to read it.

I do a lot of my reading in public, or fairly public places, and although -I- personally love the covers of these books, they get me a lot of unwanted attention, especially with quotes like "great sex, and even better plot!".

It's causing me a lot of stress, because I don't remember the last time I looked forward to reading a series this much. It also makes my life difficult because my friends aren't readers, and they just assume that I'm just reading some Twilight ripoff. (And yes, I HAVE tried explaining that The Hollows is nothing like Twilight, but they just wave it off as me lying to defend myself. It also doesn't help that they know I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and associate that show with these books as well)

I don't know what to do. I don't own an ereader, and I would really like to continue reading this series, but if I confine my reading of these books to my home then it would take me FOREVER to finish them. When I've been reading a book for a long time (won't name any names here) my interest wanes and I start to resent the book.

What do you think I should do? I enjoy the series a LOT, but I feel humiliated when reading it now.

I love this series, and don't care what anyone says or thinks about what i'm reading, it's taken a lot of years to stop caring about other people. but that's because i actually read much more racy and embarrassing things, one of the funniest series with embarrassing names was the Succubus series, not a lot of sex and a really great and funny read. However the name says it all for most people, Succubus Blues, Succubus Dreams, etc. lol great times, but i just decided it didn't matter I love the series and decided that what other people thought of me and my books wasn't important.

Chris Richards Firstly, I would like to thank you for your reply :)
I don't want to disregard what you said in any way, but at the same time... I feel like you might
...more
May 28, 2015 11:24AM · flag

Here in Japan book stores usually ask if you would like a book cover for your novel...they put on a brown paper cover with the store's logo on any books you want. It's a free service. Nobody thinks twice about it because so many people have them!

Also, you can get fabric book covers...a friend made me one, it protects your book and looks great too! The Hollows books can be big, so you'd need to get one that would adapt to the size of the books, but they are re-usable and look great. You might want to check out Etsy or other handmade shops on line.

Maybe get the hardcovers and remove the jackets when taking them in public? Then they won't have the racy covers.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* You're welcome :) ...more
May 16, 2015 01:13AM

I agree with Delaney. I took the train for two years, a two hour commute. With time being a precious commodity,I read, wrote, paid bills and balanced my checkbook. It really doesn't matter what strangers on a train think. Enjoy your reading time, wherever you have to do it.

I read almost everything on my Kindle now. Using an e-reader would eliminate this problem and allow you to carry the whole series with you at once!

I'm man enough to read a book with fairies on the cover on the bus, but some of the hollow novels have pretty racy covers. I'm also embarrassed that people would think I'm reading some vampire sex novel haha

Just take the dust jacket off the hardcover if that's what you're reading. I suppose you could fold the cover of the paperback if you can stand doing that, or cover it with something else. Personally I use an ereader while in pubic as it's much easier to cart around 500 books that way. It was a good investment.