Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > July 2015 nominations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited May 03, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1131 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

July is a themed month. We will be nominating books written by women from Asia.

You can nominate up to two books. Please indicate if you can lead the discussion.

We will consider a book that is at least 20 years old.

Polls will go up on May 15.

message 2: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

I have edited the above post in order to change the length of time for the book to have been published to 20. If anyone finds a great book that is older than 25 years, please nominate it and indicate how long it has been published. Please also research to see if the book is available in English and readily accessible. Thanks.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I nominate Jung Chang's Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. Published 24 years ago,available via Amazon as e book or hard copy.
I should be able to lead the discussion.

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (last edited May 04, 2015 02:31AM) (new)

I nominate The Diving Pool: Three Novellas by Yōko Ogawa which is 25 years old. I also nominate The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck which really is a classic. Both books are available from Amazon and the Buck book is probably in most libraries. I can lead.

message 5: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 653 comments Mod
I wanted to maybe find some old Asian work written by a woman but they're either really expensive or in a language I can't read! Which is sad because there are some Vietnamese and Chinese female poets that would be fun to explore.

My nomination is The Coffin Tree by Wendy Law-Yone. She's from Burma/Myanmar and moved to the U.S. after being imprisoned (I think her father said some things that made the people in charge mad). The book was published in 1983 and is available as a really cheap hard copy on Amazon.
I can lead if it wins.

message 6: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 653 comments Mod
☯Emily wrote: "I nominate The Diving Pool: Three Novellas by Yōko Ogawa which is 25 years old. I also nominate The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck which really ..."

I've never read anything by her (Buck) so it'll be awesome if she wins.

message 7: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

I just saw loads of copies at a used book store of Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama. It was published in 1991.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 352 comments I'd like to nominate The Waiting Years by Fumiko Enchi, first published 1957.

Happy to lead if it's successful.

message 9: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments I'll nominate Murasaki Shikibu's The Tale of Genji, written in the eleventh century, or Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen, published in 1988. I could lead either.

message 10: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 435 comments Yes! The poll is up, and working, and accepting votes. Thanks Emily!