Atheistically Speaking Book Club discussion

Books > What's the most eye opening / life changing book you've ever read?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 61 comments Discussion topic started by Harley in the emails.

For me, The God Delusion was a really life changing book because it was what really got me thinking and led me to atheism. Guns, Germs, and Steel was a really eye-opening book for me, along with a lot of Jared Diamond's other books.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 02, 2015 10:53PM) (new)

The Great Transformation by Karen Armstrong
I would also recommend:
Guns Germs and Steel
Why the West Rules -for now
The Dream of Reason
and for the future:
Why Average is Over

message 3: by Marcel (new)

Marcel Janssens | 22 comments The book that got me rethinking my attitude towards religion is The God Delusion. I was an atheist I guess before reading that book, but always had some sort of respect for religion and the feeling that religion deserved respect. But God Delusion succesfully crumbled that....

message 4: by LaTonya (new)

LaTonya | 2 comments Catch-22 has been one of my favorite books for some time now and I would say it has influenced my views quite a bit but mostly my sense of humor. As for books concerning religion, I've only really been interested in the topic recently and the first book I read was Waking Up by Sam Harris. I have never been religious or spiritual so I found the book quite an interesting perspective.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcelroy | 2 comments The bible. First, to make me a believer. Then, when I learned about how it came to be, to make me an atheist.

Also, Carl Sagan's Demon-Haunted World. That book made me fall in love with critical thinking.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (votesaxon) | 7 comments It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember Ender's Game had a pretty strong effect on me. It got me to consider humanism as a valid life philosophy, and I came away from that book and its sequel with a respect for humanism and naturalism I hadn't even considered before. Which is kind of weird, as I've since learned how problematic the author's actual views are. I kind of want to read it again and see if I see the same message in the story, knowing the context I do now.

Also please pardon any typos because apparently my autocorrect doesn't work on Goodreads?...

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Williamson (dwertz) | 3 comments As a youngster, Krishnamurti's 'Commentaries On Living'. A very interesting mix of eastern philosophy, psychology and a glimpse into what it means to have a still, observant mind. I switched from a science-based education to humanities and worked with people and their problems for decades after this.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin | 1 comments Berger and Luckmann's "The Social Construction of Reality".

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill Lewis | 2 comments I think the first book I read that gave me an inkling into how religion came about was The Source by James Michener. As you all know, his books are SO long, and I read it in high school (I think). I don't know that it would be appropriate for this book club, but I think it was the start of my leaving Mormonism and religion in general.