Outlander Series discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments Discuss everything form episode 13 here.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brown | 40 comments Sam Heughan should win an emmy for this episode. He brought Jamie even further along in his development as a man, husband and laird. We all know what is coming for Jamie very soon and after this episode, I feel more confident that all of the family will endure and survive.

I am enjoying the tv episodes in new ways and no longer sit and compare them to the book so much. Seeing the changing relationship between Claire and Jenny and the depth of feelings between Jamie and Ian was just terrific. (Seeing Rabbie MacNabb helping Jamie show a horse was so sweet.)

The episode to me, should be considered as a whole ensemble which is preparing us to understand the machinations that will ensnare Jamie. We now truly know that he is not going to escape capture (hope as we might! even having read the books!). And even though tonight's focus was on Jamie, by the end we see that Claire's on fire and we know that she is going after him!

I know I can watch #14 (please, oh please let Murtaugh show up!). But as Jamie said early in Outlander, knowing a terrible thing is not maybe as bad as seeing the terrible thing (when he was telling Claire about the floggings). I know what is going to happen to him, and knowing it is bad enough. I still do not know that I will be able to actually watch Wentworth Prison.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brown | 40 comments Oops; I meant "shoe" a horse.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 43 comments I call my review of this episode Mother's Day http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2015...

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments I absolutely loved this episode!! Watching Jenny and Claire's relationship grow closer was great and watching the interaction between Jamie and Ian was wonderful. You could just see the love and respect they have for one another.

But....

The best part, I think, was seeing the change in Jamie. I saw him become the Jamie we all know and love. The Jamie that stands up for his family no matter what. It seems to me that he during this episode he was standing more upright, more confident, and dressed more the way I pictured Jamie. YUM!!!

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments I enjoyed this episode a lot. It had a great balance of dialog, character development, action and intrigue. I am still loving Jenny's character development and I think she is the perfect Jenny for me. I thought that last week also but many people thought she was too harsh. I hope they are warming up to her character after this week.
My absolute favorite part of this episode was the reaction on Jamie's face when Claire told him she may never bare his child. Having gone through 20 years of infertility before I conceived my daughters makes this touch me deeply. His face was so accurate with sympathy for Claire, shock and disappointment for himself, pain for both of them and then the overall acceptance and support. I lived it and that was so real to me. (the movie up always makes me cry for the same reason)
As real as that was, I was totally dumbfounded with Jenny's metaphor of a baby sometimes feeling like you man is inside of you with the throbbing. Seriously? Not only is this not my experience, I have never heard anyone claim that. Now with hormones raging it can increase libido, I understand, but what she was describing was just... well, not right. Any way I am a little anxious and apprehensive knowing what we will be heading into for next week but I will not miss it for the world.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments Knowing full well what is coming up next, I have mixed feelings about watching the next episode, but I will and I am sure I will be watching with my hands over my eyes through my fingers.

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 190 comments I was listening to the pod cast and the writer of the episode that the "Jenny's metaphor of a baby" was from the book. I don't remember it but it has been a long time since the last time I read Outlander.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1356 comments Yeah I think I missed that if it was in the book too because it sure struck me as odd this time. I really liked the sheer nightgown Jenny had on. It truly looked like she were pregnant and authentic not gratuitous.

message 10: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It was definitely in the book. The setting was different though. The four of them (Jamie, Ian, Claire and Jenny) were sitting around the fire in the house and Claire was asking Jenny what it felt like. Jenny was describing it, almost exactly like the show, except as she was her and Ian were having a very personal moment between the two of them with all sorts of hot eye contact. At that point they excuse themselves (Jenny and Ian) and Claire and Jamie wind up keeping young Jamie with them that night... I think it fit better with the story in the book, just because it was intimate and whatnot between Jenny and Ian.

Anyway, I thought the episode was really spectacular. Which makes me feel better because almost all of it was new, which means that my complaints prior weren't because I was hung up on the book. I don't mind new changes, so long as they're good. Sam's acting was spot on. He really owned the character of Jamie in this episode. And Jenny felt more like the Jenny I love. The stubborn and hotheaded but kind woman. Her friendship with Claire was wonderfully done.

Also, I have to say that I really really loved that Ian and Jamie had the moment in after Horrocks and you saw their connection too. I love the friendship between Ian and Jamie.

The next two episodes are going to kill me. I'm seriously dreading it. It's going to be so crazy intense and horrific.

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 59 comments -Definitely liked Jenny better (knew I just need to be patient!)
-Jaime was great at the breakfast table defending himself/Ian. SO confident, brave, sure of himself. Loved it! His stare was deadly.
-Dreading the next episodes. I am not telling my husband what is going to happen... I will report about his unpleasant surprise in the coming weeks!
-Jenny describing bearing a child is that way is in the books. I thought it was weird BOTH times. Lol
-Claire telling Jaime about not being able to have children :*( and I loved his little moment in the room after she left. He looked a little defeated.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dennis Richardson (catrionarich) | 28 comments Barbara wrote: "Sam Heughan should win an emmy for this episode. He brought Jamie even further along in his development as a man, husband and laird. We all know what is coming for Jamie very soon and after this ..."

I thought it was an amazing episode as well and I've watched it several times. Unlike many of you I am looking forward to watching Wentworth next week and then Jamie's healing in The Abbey episode the following week. What happened to Jamie is brutal and unspeakable but it is a vital part of the story. Helping bring Jamie back from the abyss strengthens Jamie and Claire's relationship considerably and the positive effects last their entire lives throughout all the books so we can't want Wentworth to not happen.
The acting of Jenny & Ian was superb. Taran MacQuarie was a good addition I thought because it showed the male bonding, Jamie's honor at not leaving a wounded Taran is what got him captured. It also showed how the warrior's life is still appealing to Jamie even though settling down with Claire is even more appealing. Jamie was a soldier for a long time and he is new to married life. There is still that pull for glory and the fighting life. I thought the visuals of discretely showing Jenny's form through her gown was quite lovely. I liked the sisterhood she and Claire are forging. Ian is Jamie's best friend through and through. He killed Horrocks for Jamie but Jamie claimed responsibility. I loved the line from Ian that if Jamie were going to hell he might as well go along because he knew he couldn't manage alone. I thought the kiss Claire gave Jenny after receiving Murtagh's bracelets was so sweet and even seeing Jenny having a hard time letting her kiss her was priceless. It is a new relationship and they are still learning how to be comfortable with each other. The interaction between Claire and Jamie had never been sweeter or more poignant than when they talked of having children and when Claire told Jamie she would follow him and pull him back by his red curls. Sam & Cait are masters at their craft and it is amazing considering they were virtually unknown in the States before Outlander. I thought the actor playing Taran did a marvelous job.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brown | 40 comments I agree and I keep trying to remember that Jamie is still quite young, even though he's been expected to act like a man for a long time. That adventurous life would still have its attractions.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Spreiter | 5 comments I enjoyed this episode also. Like others, I have been keeping the show separate from the book in my head because they are different. I though Sam's acting was superb in this episode. That man can convey so much emotion and feelings in eye face, especially his eyes. I liked the addition of the Watch in action and the relationship between McQuarie and Jamie - mutual respect came to mind. Sam and Cait are truly meant for these roles.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina | 162 comments I agree, Sam did an amazing job in this episode. He IS Jamie!!! Deep blue, piercing eyes, solid square jaw, hot tempered but kind and gentle... Awesome!!!

message 16: by Arlene (last edited May 08, 2015 03:31AM) (new)

Arlene | 255 comments ALL the actors in this series are fantastic! I don't think I've seen anyone let me down in a performance. The changes made to the story line in this episode display the important characteristics of each individual without the luxury of herself's fine prose. The blade run through Horrocks showed how Ian had Jamie's weaker side protected. Every week I get more pleased with it all. I am nervous about Wentworth, but we know he makes it through!!