The Reader's Bar discussion

Who Asked You?
This topic is about Who Asked You?
29 views
Open for Discussion > May Book Discussion-Who Asked You?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments about this book below. Happy Reading!


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Has anyone started reading this book yet? If so, what are your first impressions?


Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book yet? If so, what are your first impressions?"

I started a couple days ago and I am enjoying the book. My favorite character is Betty Jean. The subjects discussed have been serious (drug abuse, child abandonment, Alzheimer's) but I find myself laughing out loud at Terry McMillan's humor/approach. Good pick for the summer!


message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2015 05:12AM) (new)

Tracy wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book yet? If so, what are your first impressions?"

I started a couple days ago and I am enjoying the book. My favorite character is Betty Jean. The..."


Tracy: I see what you mean about laughing out loud. I read the first Betty Jean last night and was laughing out loud too.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What do you think of Betty Jean? What do you think of her interactions with the people she encounters on a daily basis?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What do you think of Nurse Kim?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Do you think that this is becoming a common practice today? Grandparents raising their grandchildren.


Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments Denise wrote: "Do you think that this is becoming a common practice today? Grandparents raising their grandchildren."

Unfortunately, grandparents are raising their grandchildren without the presence or financial support of their children. In the past, grandparents assisted but now more are put in the role of sole provider for the child. The book discussed child abandonment due to drug abuse but many children are having babies which causes role reversal as well. My heart goes out to BJ because while caring for her ill husband the kids were dumped on her. She put her needs aside to care for them.


Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Nurse Kim?"

Nurse Kym is weird! I kept wondering if she wanted the traveling nurse job to avoid a lawsuit for sexual abuse against the elderly. She supported BJ by caring for Mr. but a few of her actions did not reflect those of a stable adult. Having sex with a patient in your care with Alzheimer's is abuse...Moving in with your grandmother is never Plan B...I'm not a Harry Potter fan nor are any of my girlfriends.


Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Betty Jean? What do you think of her interactions with the people she encounters on a daily basis?"
Betty Jean is my favorite of the three sisters. She wants what is best for her family even if she has to sacrifice herself to obtain it. She received advice from several relatives that she should take the easy road with Trunetta, Mr. Butler, Luther and Ricky. Betty Jean followed what she felt was the correct path for her. Hence the title, Who Asked You? Dealing with the death of a child is the hardest thing a parent could encounter. She handled it with grace and sealed the bond with her grandkids.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Tracy wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Nurse Kim?"

Nurse Kym is weird! I kept wondering if she wanted the traveling nurse job to avoid a lawsuit for sexual abuse against the elderly. She supported ..."


Yeah, I felt that Nurse Kim was taking advantage of the situation.


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Do you think that Betty Jean handled the Dexter situation correctly?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
What do you think of Betty Jean's relationship with her kids?


message 14: by Tracy (last edited May 18, 2015 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Betty Jean's relationship with her kids?"

I feel that Betty Jean wanted the best for her children even if it meant her needs went on hold. Unfortunately, parents can not save adult children who do not want to be saved. I loved the fact that Luther and Ricky took their 2nd chance seriously. The letter Luther wrote her showed his appreciation. I liked that Betty Jean and Quentin patched their relationship.


Tracy (tr8959) | 15 comments I can only see my comments. How do I see the comments from the other members?


Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Tracy wrote: "I can only see my comments. How do I see the comments from the other members?"

No other members have commented except for you. They may still be reading.


back to top