On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Unvanquished
This topic is about The Unvanquished
Group Reads: Pre-1980 > The Unvanquished, Final Impressions, May, 2015

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
You're finished! What did you think? Like it, not like it? If you write a review, please post a link to it in this topic. Your fellow members want to know what you thought.

"Lawyer Stevens"

message 2: by Mmars (last edited May 11, 2015 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mmars | 35 comments The book gets 5 stars, even though I'd give the reading experience three stars. My first Faulkner, and this guy indeed stands up to his reputation as somewhat difficult but also brilliant. Yes I had to reread passages and was sometimes bored by over-eloquence, but the ending, oh the importance the ending might serve. There it was, everything I missed along the way. The boy becoming a man and being a symbol of the new South in which the death and retribution and vengeance needed to end so that a new South would arise. (At least that's how I read it.) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Karen Mmars wrote: "The book gets 5 stars, even though I'd give the reading experience three stars. My first Faulkner, and this guy indeed stands up to his reputation as somewhat difficult but also brilliant. Yes I ha..."

That's Faulkner for you- everything is made clear at the end- not only by him, by the reader most importantly. Good post- I am only on page 87.

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 3872 comments Mod
Excellent review, mmars. Glad to know Faulkner has made another fan.

message 5: by Connie (last edited May 13, 2015 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Connie G (connie_g) | 413 comments This was a great selection for a group read. I just posted a review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

This has become my favorite Faulkner. Not the best Faulkner, but such a joy to read. Lovely to meet old friends at an earlier time. It's a mark of his abilities and genius that you can start reading any book and recognize characters and places from any other book without having to worry about missing something. It will all come clear eventually. Like Ab Snopes, for example. As soon as he appeared, I knew there was trouble ahead.

Karen I'm glad you loved it Diane, I unfortunately am finding it very tedious, I love Faulkner, but not this one.
I really wanted to like this book but I think I have already read my favorites. I do like the friendship between Ringo and Bayard, and of course Granny!

message 8: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here is a review by Diane: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Here's my review.

message 9: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Connie wrote: "This was a great selection for a group read. I just posted a review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Connie, wonderful that you enjoyed The Unvanquished. Your review is spot on.

Connie G (connie_g) | 413 comments Mike wrote: "Connie wrote: "This was a great selection for a group read. I just posted a review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Connie, wonderful that you enjoyed [..."

Thanks, Mike. I'm looking forward to reading another Faulkner in the future.

message 11: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane wrote: "Here is a review by Diane: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Here's my review."

Diane, loved your review. This is an excellent introduction to Faulkner. But I'll still stick to my guns and say Flags in the Dust is the best starting place with The Unvanquished its perfect companion! I think this was an excellent choice for a group read for "The Trail!"

message 12: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Connie wrote: "Thanks, Mike. I'm looking forward to reading another Faulkner in the future. "

Connie, we've certainly put a big dent in the Faulkner Canon. But I hope eventually we'll read them all. We have some excellent Faulkners that haven't been nominated yet!

Karen Mike wrote: "Connie, we've certainly put a big dent in the Faulkner Canon. But I hope eventually we'll read them all. We have some excellent Faulkners that haven't been nominated yet!"

We could do AILD, it's that damn five word chapter that I am hung up on!
Absolom, Absolom Is a challenging one- where we see Sutpen, who was briefly mentioned in The Unvanquished.

message 14: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen, we did As I Lay Dying a couple of years ago. If you haven't seen the new James Franco film, it's worth a look. It's done with a split screen, which is a little disconcerting at first, but very effective.
Absalom, Absalom! was our first Faulkner read in 2011, I believe. It's the book that made me a Faulkner convert.

Karen Diane wrote: "Karen, we did As I Lay Dying a couple of years ago. If you haven't seen the new James Franco film, it's worth a look. It's done with a split screen, which is a little disconcerting at first, but ..."

Oh well, where have I been- lol. Hey, they need to be re-read! I have been thinking of watching the James Franco movie, thanks.

message 16: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana I almost gave up a few times but I'm glad I persevered. Granny was a joy, as was Ringo and I loved Bayard's gradual evolution as a character.

Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Karen Hana wrote: "I almost gave up a few times but I'm glad I persevered. Granny was a joy, as was Ringo and I loved Bayard's gradual evolution as a character.

Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/sh..."

Good for you! I can't give up on a Faulkner book even when I want to- it's Faulkner after all.

message 18: by John (last edited May 28, 2015 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments One of the things I like about Faulkner is his ability to slow time way down.

Absalom Absalom, 1st meeting between Rosa Coldfield qnd Quentin Compson. She in her chair, legs not able to reach the floor, shades drawn ( because dark was equated to cool), Quentin waiting to find out what the old bat has on her mind. Time just stretches. We could skip ahead a beat, but can we really? He just holds us to the mark on the page.

Unvanquished; waiting for Bayard to decide just how he will avenge the death of his father. Waiting for Redmond to make his move , to expose his impotence.

Drusilla, "Kiss me Bayard."

Then there is Granny laying on the floor just inside the Compress door.

As I lay dying; Vardamann, "My mother is a fish."

As we learn Byron Bunch has sliced Joanna Burden's throat.

We all have our favorites don't we?

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments I'm lost. Order of verbena, last sentence chap 2. "Tomorrow, when I go to town and meet Ben Redmond, I shall be unarmed."

Bayard recollecting Fathers last conversation. How can this be? Ringo rides forty miles to Professor/Judge Wilkin's house the day after Father has been killed. Bayard could not have heard these words from his father. This is the same conversation where Bayard has told father that Drusilla has been kissed by him, which was a year before Father's death

I'm a fish flopping on the sandbar.

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Here is a quiz. Good luck

The Unvanquished by William Faulkner The Unvanquished William Faulkner

Karen This is the only Faulkner book where I can't do well on the Quiz- it just didn't resonate with me.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments ThAnks for considering it. If you run a search on me, you Might see another you like

Karen I have taken the Light in August one and I am pretty sure Absalom, Absalom. Is there an AILD one or TSATF?

Connie G (connie_g) | 413 comments Good quiz, John. It brought back some of the most memorable parts of the book.

message 25: by John (last edited May 30, 2015 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Connie. You did very well. And Mike; you did very well, You both nailed some of the toughest ones, and made me feel good by grabbing at the red herrings.

message 26: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Karen, I haven't put a quiz together for either one of those. However here is a link for a couple AILD

https://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/sea...

message 27: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

John wrote: "Thanks Connie. You did very well. And Mike; you did very well, You both nailed some of the toughest ones, and made me feel good by grabbing at the red herrings."

John, Thanks for a good quiz. I took it on the fly. Still reading, but surprised at what I missed after two reads. *grin* This remains a memorable read even on the third go round.

message 28: by Karen (last edited May 30, 2015 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karen John wrote: "Karen, I haven't put a quiz together for either one of those. However here is a link for a couple AILD

https://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/sea..."

Thanks! I got 9 out of 10 on that one

message 29: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Woo Hoo. And who sez you don't know when a guy is feeding you a convoluted story?

Karen John wrote: "Woo Hoo. And who sez you don't know when a guy is feeding you a convoluted story?"

I understood it much better than The Unvanquished- so I am a bit weird! Love those weird stories.

message 31: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Have you seen the movie. I thought it was well done. The segments that were split screen conveyed the Faulkner touch of things happening from different view points very well. Even having read this story 2 or 3 times I had missed things that took a visual representation to bring out. He is very challenging to read.

Yours, JOhn

Karen John wrote: "Have you seen the movie. I thought it was well done. The segments that were split screen conveyed the Faulkner touch of things happening from different view points very well. Even having read th..."

I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. I still need to read it over- that five word chapter kinda left me a bit perplexed.

message 33: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 654 comments I finished today (started very late) and really enjoyed this, especially having read Flags in the Dust last year. The connections between the books are so .... not sure how to describe in my words. But also to see the early years of all those families.

I haven't written my review yet but will soon.

Beverly | 190 comments Although I am late finishing this, I just wanted to let everyone know I enjoyed all the comments in both the final and initial threads. My focus has been "off" and as sometimes happens with Faulkner I had trouble getting started but then it all fell together. So glad I read this.