Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (new) - added it

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
I Was Here by Gayle Forman

Cody and Meg were inseparable.
Two peas in a pod.
Until . . . they weren’t anymore.

When her best friend Meg drinks a bottle of industrial-strength cleaner alone in a motel room, Cody is understandably shocked and devastated. She and Meg shared everything—so how was there no warning? But when Cody travels to Meg’s college town to pack up the belongings left behind, she discovers that there’s a lot that Meg never told her. About her old roommates, the sort of people Cody never would have met in her dead-end small town in Washington. About Ben McAllister, the boy with a guitar and a sneer, who broke Meg’s heart. And about an encrypted computer file that Cody can’t open—until she does, and suddenly everything Cody thought she knew about her best friend’s death gets thrown into question.

I Was Here is Gayle Forman at her finest, a taut, emotional, and ultimately redemptive story about redefining the meaning of family and finding a way to move forward even in the face of unspeakable loss.

message 2: by B (new) - rated it 3 stars

B (bmm244) | 7 comments Not my favourite from Gayle.

I found the story hard to engage in... I would put the book down mid chapter and wander back to it when I was bored. The lack of description left me a bit lost. I couldn't relate to the main character (or any of them) or really follow her actions from her motives. The love interest I saw coming from the moment she saw him. The writing didn't flow that well. I dunno, I just struggled to find a lot I liked about this book. Which is a shame, because I loved Gayle's other books.

Khristina Chess (khristina_chess) | 10 comments I've only read 2 Gayle Forman books. The other was "If I Stay," and I liked this one better. I really wanted to know why Meg made her choice and if there was more to the story. The mystery setup was good. However, I was disappointed by the discoveries at the end. I wasn't surprised, and in fact, felt like the conflict was just dropped.

Tracey (addicted_to_reading) I wish I liked this book more but I just couldn't. I already knew where the story was headed so I had no anticipation to read it all the way through. The only reason I finished is because it's a book club read. The main characters were all plain. The most interesting person was Harry and he's barely in the book. Cody was too whiny to like and Ben was uninteresting. The fact that they (view spoiler) was unnecessary and a bit weird. I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for them. I'm just glad that I made it all the way through and that I am now done.