Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Gothic period horror

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scot (last edited May 03, 2015 06:28PM) (new)

Scot | 639 comments A friend is looking for Horror written in modern day with an 1800's setting. Got any suggestions?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (Shopgirlz29) Yes please!!!

message 3: by Scot (last edited May 02, 2015 01:14PM) (new)

Scot | 639 comments I enjoyed Gast by Edward Lee and House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty .

message 4: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Off the top of my head,

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

Valancourt Books (valancourt_books) | 254 comments John Harwood is a favorite of mine:

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood The Seance by John Harwood The Asylum by John Harwood

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Valancourt Books wrote: "John Harwood is a favorite of mine:

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood The Seance by John Harwood The Asylum by John Harwood"

I concur with my esteemed colleague.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm going to lurk and collect the good ones. Never too many to read.

message 8: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments I've seen Harwood books on Scribd. I'll have to check them out.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Mask of the Macabre by David Haynes Seance of the Souls by David Haynes Ballet of the Bones by David Haynes

Check out David Haynes - he writes some amazing Victorian era horror.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) | 137 comments oh! i just finished "The dunfield Horror" that was an awesome read. going lurk here as there are some really good recommendations.

message 11: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments Fun! Haynes is also on Scribd.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine (Shopgirlz29) awesome! Thanks guys!!!

message 13: by Scot (new)

Scot | 639 comments A big thanks to all for their comments and recommendations!! This is why i love Horror Aficionados.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Florence and Giles by John Harding Florence and Giles

Another good Harwood book, with a very fun twist on the "Turn of the Screw" plot.

message 15: by Jack (new)

Jack Rollins | 71 comments Michael wrote: "Mask of the Macabre by David Haynes Seance of the Souls by David Haynes Ballet of the Bones by David Haynes

Check out David Haynes - he writes some amazing Victorian era horror."

I've still got to read these, they look right up my street.

message 16: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments I totally own all 3 of the Haynes books! I love, love, love, love this topic!

I can't promise these are good because I have not read them, but here is a good sized list.

http://www.lcl.lib.ne.us/depts/bookgu...