Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's April 2015 Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments 11 for the month and almost all at least pretty good!

Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4) by Patricia Briggs Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs: 4th in Alpha & Omega series and a real winner! I still like her Mercy Thompson series a little better, but this one is gaining fast. A better look at Charles the man, rather than Charles the werewolf assassin. Things are getting ugly with the fae. Grade: 9

All the President's Menus (A White House Chef Mystery, #8) by Julie Hyzy All the President's Menus by Julie Hyzy: 8th in the White House Chef series and probably my least favorite. I think it was the stuff with the made up country that was the problem. Grade: 6.5

A Second Helping of Murder (A Comfort Food Mystery, #2) by Christine Wenger A Second Helping of Murder by Christine Wenger: 2nd in Comfort Food series and about on par with the first one. Editing problems and though the main character is quite good-hearted she is a lousy detective. Grade: 5

For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #2) by Beverly Allen For Whom the Bluebell Tolls by Beverly Allen: 2nd in Bridal Bouquet Shop series and right up there with the first one. Definitely shaping up to be a first-rate cozy series. Didn't see the solution coming! Grade: 8.5

I Fired God My Life Inside---and Escape from---the Secret World of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult by Jocelyn Zichterman I Fired God: My Life Inside---and Escape from---the Secret World of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult by Jocelyn Zichterman: this look into the IFB, which is the group the Duggars belong to and of which the Westboro Baptist church is an offshoot, was interesting. I must admit to having an EXTREME dislike of religious cults since we've lost one of my cousins to one. The inner workings of these groups just totally boggles the mind. Grade: 8.5

Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson: I had picked up a copy of this and after Lorraine said it was so good decided to move it up in The Pile. I remembered almost nothing about the sinking of the Lusitania from history classes, so learned a lot. Larson's ability to take tedious history and make it read like a novel is a remarkable talent. Enjoyed this so much have moved ISAAC'S STORM up in The Pile and got a copy of IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS. Grade: 9.5

Bittersweet (China Bayles, #23) by Susan Wittig Albert Bittersweet by Susan Wittig Albert: 23rd China Bayles. Hard to believe this series has been around this long and is still this good. The stuff in here about the threat of non-native animals and plants to the environment is good. Grade: 8.5

Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7) by Jenn McKinlay Dark Chocolate Demise by Jenn McKinlay: 7th Cupcake Bakery and this series is tanking fast. The triangle seems to be over, but all the TSTL moments in here were too much! Grade: 5.5

Snoop to Nuts by Elizabeth Lee Snoop to Nuts by Elizabeth Lee: 2nd in Nut House series and almost as good as the first one. I actually like these books more for the characters than the story and the story was a good one. Grade: 8

A Ghostly Undertaking (Ghostly Southern Mysteries, #1) by Tonya Kappes A Ghostly Undertaking by Tonya Kappes: 1st in Ghostly Southern series and quite unimpressive. Many elements like another series that was far superior to this one. Too many bad cliches for my liking, too. Grade: 4.5

Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine: Romeo & Juliet told from the perspective of Benvolio. An okay read, but since it's written by Rachel Caine I expected at least a touch of paranormal to the story. Not the case. Not a bad read, but nothing special either. Grade: 6

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Nice mix, Mel. From cozy to crazy.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Good month for you Melodie! I see quite a few on my TBR pile :)

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Wow, nice month, Melodie! It is hard to imagine that it is now the 23rd China Bayles, I'll have to get to it soon, a few behind though. Dan's assessment is spot on! I may take your word on the cult book, though we should not ignore that sort of thing. I hope to get to the Erik Larson books someday soon. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania would fit in with my recent forays into books during that time frame.

Dan in AZ wrote: "Nice mix, Mel. From cozy to crazy."

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great month! :)

I have Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania on audio. I hope it's just as good. Everyone has great things to say.

Hyzy is one of my favorites, I hope the series improves.

Mckinlay has me worried. I hope her series improve too.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Christina wrote: "Great month! :)

I have Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania on audio. I hope it's just as good. Everyone has great things to say.

Hyzy is one of my favorites, I hope the ..."

I think the Hyzy book was just a small glitch. It was still a good read, the made up country just seemed to detract a bit for me. I expect SO much more from McKinlay. Hope she gets things back together!

message 7: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments Good month. I need to try Caine and I want to get Wake for hubby

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited May 09, 2015 07:35AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Prolific month, as usual, Mel!

I've got to request Dead Wake. I've been avoiding it because the story of the sinking of the Titanic, about which I know more than the sinking of the Lusitania, is still so sad to me, but I love everything Erik Larson writes. I wonder if I can persuade Ann and Christina to do a buddy read with me? Probably timing is the only issue.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments I could probably be persuaded for a Buddy Read of the book, Carol! Another Buddy Read sounds fun!
I may be starting The Bone Tree next so will be tied up with it for a while.
What about you, Christina?

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Yiy! If you're going to be reading The Bone Tree I may have to do that next. Boy, I sound like such a copycat but it's more fun reading with people! Hey, did I just create another bench? (inside joke for long time posters)

Ann wrote: "I could probably be persuaded for a Buddy Read of the book, Carol! Another Buddy Read sounds fun!
I may be starting The Bone Tree next so will be tied up with it for a while.
What about you, Chris..."

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments If it is a new bench, then I am sitting right in the middle of it, Carol! It is great fun to read books with this group!
I'll start The Bone Tree either tomorrow or Monday. I put Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania on hold just now. I'm eighth on the list for the audio cd's.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yiy! If you're going to be reading The Bone Tree I may have to do that next. Boy, I sound like such a copycat but it's more fun reading with people! Hey, did I just create another bench? (insid..."