Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Carpet People
This topic is about The Carpet People
Archived Group Reads > May 2015 - MG/YA: The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Our May 2015 MG/YA selection is The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett.

Please remember to mark any spoilers by using the spoiler tag -- type < spoiler> your spoiler here < /spoiler>, without the spaces. Posts containing unmarked spoilers may be deleted.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I started this one the other day. I was a bit leery because the short-stories weren't my faves... but I'm liking it better than those, so far.

Mary Catelli | 125 comments And, of course, Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales has the original carpet people, before the revised editions.

the contrast can be a bit interesting.

message 4: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Desi (katdesiwrites) | 54 comments Still looking for a copy of this! :/

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Finished this the other day. It was cute. Had some glimmers of Pratchett wit and wisdom, and I definitely liked it better than the short stories in 'Crumbling Castle'.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm about 1/2 of the way through.

Gosh, this is pretty adorable.

I'm really enjoying it and I find it to be much more interesting than Eragon and more imaginative.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Finished this up the weekend. I think it was pretty adorable.

I did have some concerns about the lack of female characters but still adorable.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Huh, good point. Didn't even think about that, tbh. Maybe we can blame Pratchett's youth at the time?

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "Huh, good point. Didn't even think about that, tbh. Maybe we can blame Pratchett's youth at the time?"

I could say so. There ARE some good lines in there but they are all so close to the ending... Makes me think it was some additions.

Elise I am starting this tonight! I have really been looking forward to this!

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Elise wrote: "I am starting this tonight! I have really been looking forward to this!"

Yaaay!

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Elise wrote: "I am starting this tonight! I have really been looking forward to this!"

Yaaay!"

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments :D

Elise Oh wow. Such a welcome to this book I get! ;)

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Catelli | 125 comments The trope of its being a carpet did have a certain tendency to work against the plot.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mary wrote: "The trope of its being a carpet did have a certain tendency to work against the plot."

Not to me.