Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Six-Gun Tarot (Golgotha, #1)
This topic is about The Six-Gun Tarot
Archived Group Reads > May 2015 - Fantasy: The Six-Gun Tarot by R. S. Belcher

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Our fantasy selection for May is The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher.

Please remember to mark any spoilers by using the spoiler tag -- type < spoiler> your spoiler here < /spoiler>, without the spaces. Posts containing unmarked spoilers may be deleted.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Yay - one of my nominations won!

*dances through the thread*

I have this on hold at the library. It's "in transit", so it should be in within a week or so.

message 3: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments I just checked this one out from the library today. I started reading it immediately (Colleen, your enthusisam is apparently infecting me!). So far, I'm really intrigued by the Maude character and her backstory.

message 4: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Cool. :D

Neither this nor Supernatural Enhancements have arrived in for me, yet.

Stupid slow library.

message 5: by Nan (last edited May 06, 2015 07:27PM) (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Colleen, I'm sorry your library copy hasn't come in yet :(.

I'm about 40% in. I'm enjoying the mix of ideas. Best quote so far (view spoiler)

message 6: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Done! Wow, I really liked this one. Loved the mix of elements. I'll be looking forward to reading the sequel.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I really liked it at first, but it kinda went ftttz for me at the end. Fun, though.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Started reading this. Only on the second chapter, though, so no real opinions yet... though I do like that we're using medicine.

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Started reading this morning. Pretty cool so far, two chapters in.

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I really like the chapter titles being cards in a tarot deck. I just wish I rememebered my brief study of tarot so I could figure out if they're random or if they fit the chapter. (Some are obvious, like the Lovers, but I forget all the minor arcana meanings.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) In The Luminaries The chapters have meaningful titles referring to cards of the Tarot. Every character is a tarot card personality, although they don't know it and the Tarot card mythology is never referenced in the story. I discovered if I wrote down the chapter headings exactly in Google, I got information on what the chapter heading meant in Tarot card readings.

However, the titles in Six-gun are meaningless about the characters, and without meaning to the plot, unlike 'The Luminaries' where the Tarot cards actually define the personalities and activities of the plot. If the Tarot has anything to do with anything in Six-gun, I couldn't see it. It was just one more reason this book, which starts out so great, ended up disappointing me. The plot and characters promise so much! It seems so cool! I thought it great fun up until near the end, when it became a book which lost its way.

When I knit, I use a strand of yarn. If you pull the strand apart, you discover it actually is a bunch of twisted smaller threads wound tightly around each other. To me, a book should be like a bunch of loose strings at the beginning which gradually twist around each other so that by the end of the book, you have a useful single strand of yarn. This book never coheres like that. A lot of people and a lot of plot points which were splatter thrown at the canvas willy nilly, with no single resonance. The no-reason, just-seemed-cool-to-toss-in, tarot titles were kinda symbolic of the entire book for me.

message 12: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'm finally almost done with this. Just the last little chapter to go tonight (my lunch hour expired before I could knock it out).

God, I've been reading this thing for two years, it feels like.