Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Archives > June Poetry Voting Time

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited May 06, 2015 04:52PM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Polls are up!

June Polls

Welcome to June!

Let's select something light to start of our summer. Make a selection from our Poetry shelf.

Nominations end on the 5th at which point the poll goes up which will run until the 10th.

Enjoy!

Laura

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

House of Light by Mary Oliver (80 pages) Not currently on the group bookshelf.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry (1984) and Laurence L. & Thomas Winship/PEN New England Award (1991).

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Mary Oliver is wonderful Lisa - excellent choice! Even better, I haven't read that particular book by her yet; so it'll be a fresh read!

message 4: by Greg (last edited May 03, 2015 10:19AM) (new)

Greg I nominate The Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen. The English poet Wilfred Owen is widely regarded as the greatest poet of World War I; he was killed towards the end of that war.

His life was the subject of the Booker prize winning The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker. Several of his poems were incorporated into a famous requiem by Benjamin Britten as well as a film by Derek Jarman.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Greg!! I just downloaded the library ebook to sample a few poems but I really am not familiar with her work otherwise. The title caught my attention though. :)

message 6: by Greg (last edited May 03, 2015 10:22AM) (new)

Greg ♥ Lisa ☯ wrote: "Thanks Greg!! I just downloaded the library ebook to sample a few poems but I really am not familiar with her work otherwise. The title caught my attention though. :)"

She writes a lot of very vibrant, original poetry, mostly centered in the observation of nature. I've read a couple of short books by her (similar in length to House of Light). She's great!

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (whatwouldhollydo) I recommend Spoon River Anthology...one of my favorites!

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg I like that one too Holly!

message 9: by Melanti (new)

Melanti I"ll nominate The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg Melanti wrote: "I"ll nominate The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge"

Also excellent!

message 11: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Goodreads is going haywire on me right now. I am trying to put up the poll. If I can't do it tonight, I will do it tomorrow!

message 12: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Polls are up!

June Polls

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg Glad you got it up ok Laura! :)

message 14: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

Greg wrote: "Glad you got it up ok Laura! :)"

Thanks, Me too! :)