Readers-Author Connection discussion

Authors Ask Readers > What makes you love a book?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Wood (goodreadscommichaeljwood) | 6 comments Mod
Hey readers!

What are the main three to four things that cause you to love a book? What makes the difference between something that's just okay, and something that you fall deeply in love with?

I, and other writers out there, need to know this so that we can write great books for you.

Love,

Michael

message 2: by J (new)

J (rosedrakon) First of all to me a book needs to be realistic enough to be able to relate to but different enough that it can help me to escape. A book is more than just a pretty cover, a continuing sequel or even just a blustery long-winded pamphlet that bugles I think I am so literate the world must bow before me.

Second it needs to be able to be a roller coaster of emotions. I need to feel the desire to cheer, the anguish of pain, the fear of bad events or a triumph. A book needs to make me want to laugh aloud no matter who is caring, victory dance even in public, laugh, scold and cry then laugh. This is a book that relates to you - saves you by making you aware there are others fighting similar battles.

Third please make realistic characters! If they are flat or 2-D then what is the point of trying to read then understand them. They need to have strengths and weaknesses, to sometimes be unlucky and to see that not everything is roses....

And finally if a book has to be a sequel then please make the whole thing interesting. So many authors think a sequel is necessary when "The End" should be it so as a result the following books trip along sadly trying to be the same as the original and when the author gets so sick and tired of it then there is a bam magical ending that is so fake (see Twilight) that you are thinking these are the type of players we hate in D&D since they have to be overkill that no one wants to compete with.

A book doesn't have to have all these components to be a good book but it is good to have one or two of them. And thanks for the time!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Wood (goodreadscommichaeljwood) | 6 comments Mod
Julia,

This is wonderful feedback! Thank you so much. I'll definitely be sure to convey the realism and roller-coaster emotions you need in Dream On, Pretty Lies, and/or Rap Game. :)

message 4: by J (new)

J (rosedrakon) Thank you Michael!