Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2015 > May BOM: Written in Red

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments The May BOM is Written in Red by Anne Bishop

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.

message 2: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 19 comments WOW. LOVED IT! That pretty much sums up what a I thought of this book. I literally could not put it down and read into the wee hours of the night, finishing its 400+ pages in one sitting. There is something absolutely compulsive about this novel.

I loved the quiet, day-to-day interactions between Simon and his host of furry, feathered and fanged followers and the solitary human girl in their midst. Bishop's take on weres and vampires is fascinating and refreshing. While not your usual Urban Fantasy heroine, Meg is courageous, forthright and intelligent, and yet everything about her screams weakness and fair game to the predatory Others. Only her lack of of 'prey' scent keeps her alive, confusing and frustrating the weres that encounter her, especially Simon who finds his reaction to her (he wants to protect her not eat her) disturbing. While there is a attraction between Simon and Meg, Bishop doesn’t push for an instant romance. Their attraction builds slowly as they get to know one another and learn to first trust, then become friends.

I haven't been hooked so completely on a new series in a long time.

message 3: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Totally agree!
Now the hard part is waiting until the next year.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I keep hearing good things about this one. My library has the audio, so I'm hoping I will get to it towards the end of the month.

message 5: by Taisie (new)

Taisie | 1 comments Anne Bishop is one of my favorite authors (love the Black Jewels series) and this series is about the same for me. This first book Written in Red takes the reader to a fascinating world where humans are subservient to the Others, paranormal creatures that rule the earth and look at humans as prey.
Meg Corbyn seems human but doesn't smell like prey. When she shows up at Lakeside Courtyard, Simon Wolfgard, the shapeshifter in charge, decides to give her a job. All of the Others are fascinated by Meg who is very childlike for a young woman.
Anne Bishop creates a world that I want to live in. The surprises continue as new creatures appear and more of Meg's story is revealed. The plot is very original and the ending very satisfying. It' a great book and I recommend that everyone follow Ms Bishops Facebook feed as she has great (and funny) updates about the series, usually written by her own "Others".

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I love the world, but I gave books 1 and 2 both 3.5 stars. So much switching of POV.

message 7: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 19 comments Brianna wrote: "I love the world, but I gave books 1 and 2 both 3.5 stars. So much switching of POV."

It's funny what can bother one person and not another and even the same person from one book to the next! I don't even remember that in this book although I know I have complained about it before in other books by other authors.

message 8: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Darcy wrote: "I keep hearing good things about this one. My library has the audio, so I'm hoping I will get to it towards the end of the month."

Let me know how much you like the narrator. I would not mind doing a reread via audio if they have a soothing voice

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Will do Dawn.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Loved this book and the sequel. The world is unique and I really enjoyed the fact that Bishop never allows us to forget that the Others are monsters but that it is human greed, cruelty and selfishness that are the true force of evil.

The switching POV didn't bother me at all. In fact, I liked having the insight into the thoughts and motivations of the various characters. It highlights the tension.

message 11: by Lokki (new)

Lokki (lokki8) | 19 comments Lauren wrote: "...I really enjoyed the fact that Bishop never allows us to forget that the Others are monsters but that it is human greed, cruelty and selfishnish that are the true force of evil..."

I like that about it too. And the humans just get more deplorable as the books progress. She does a very good job of portraying racial tensions and mob mentality.

My favourite part is seeing Simon just trying to puzzle out Meg. It's so adorable.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen_stewart) Love, love, love this book. At first I was worried with such a small intro, would I get lost in this world? The simple answer...no. Because the author brilliantly danced the line of making things recognizable enough that I always got it yet never let me forget that this was no earth I was reading about. The words were so beautifully woven that I always could see what she wanted me to see.

Masterful story. Well written fantasy that will appeal to pure fantasy readers and urban fantasy readers alike. Well done.

message 13: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 39 comments Lauren wrote: "Loved this book and the sequel. The world is unique and I really enjoyed the fact that Bishop never allows us to forget that the Others are monsters but that it is human greed, cruelty and selfishn..."

Exactly what Lauren said !

message 14: by mirba (new)

mirba | 24 comments I love this book. I think it is really well balanced as very few books are.
I loved the day to day interactions and how interesting they are.

I am discovering that a lot of fantasy authors are moving to urban fantasy and I tend to like their settings a lot. It is probably the amazing world they have, clearly detailed and wonderfully described.
I usually end up reading everything they wrote

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Caramels (thefrenchgirl) | 11 comments I really love this book. I find the world Anne Bishop made fascinating.
And the Others curiosity for Meg is so sweet.

My favorite : the grumpy Blayne (and the puzzled Simon).

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen_stewart) Leslie wrote: "I really love this book. I find the world Anne Bishop made fascinating.
And the Others curiosity for Meg is so sweet.

My favorite : the grumpy Blayne (and the puzzled Simon)."

Agreed! I love the stories but feel like I could just read about they're day to day life too.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Caramels (thefrenchgirl) | 11 comments Karen wrote: " I love the stories but feel like I could just read about they're day to day life too. "

That would be great!

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments So I finished this one and loved it! I'm kicking myself for not reading this sooner and already have requested the second book. I liked the world, loved how Meg made The Others look at things and how she slowly won them over by treating them "normal". I also really liked Monty and like that by the end it seemed like there was the start of trust there. For me, the best part of the book was with Sam, he was so cute!

@ Dawn - The narrator did a great job. In fact I think that is why I liked it so much. She really conveyed Meg's childlike joy and normal things, but the highlight was her interaction with Sam. So great!

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 565 comments I just finished it! I really loved this book, including the world and the characters. I laughed out loud at some of the thought processes of The Others, including not eating someone because they did not want to have to explain it to Meg.

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Just saw this in Anne Bishop's facebook page and I have to share.

The Portuguese cover is up!

message 21: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4465 comments That is a very intriguing cover Sonia. Lots of layers hidden away.

I'm thinking I may have to do a re-read of Written. It's been 5 months.

message 22: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Sandra wrote: "That is a very intriguing cover Sonia. Lots of layers hidden away.

I'm thinking I may have to do a re-read of Written. It's been 5 months."

I'm tempted to buy the portuguese editions as well. Just to see if the translations made the book justice... yeah... that's the reason *giggles*

message 23: by Tina (last edited May 19, 2015 01:44PM) (new)

Tina Bartz | 565 comments I just finished the next book, Murder of Crows, because I was not ready to leave the world of The Others yet. I justified that by substituting it for another book for a challenge, and I already had it on my Nook anyway! I really want to read the third book but I am trying to wait until at least next month because buying Eighth Grave After Dark is going to put me over my e-book budget for May.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen_stewart) Hard choice. It's really good but how do you deny the new Darynda Jones book!

message 25: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I liked Murder of Crows too. I just wish the pace were faster, and the POV changed less. But man. What an amazing world!

message 26: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4465 comments I've got Murder, but I think I'll do a re-read of Written first.

message 27: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 39 comments Sandra wrote: "I've got Murder, but I think I'll do a re-read of Written first."

That's a good idea . When I was going to start Vision in Silver , I thought I leaf through #1 and 2 . I ended up reading the whole books!

message 28: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4465 comments LOL. I could definitely see that happening ShoSho :)

message 29: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 1 comments I intended to only read Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop in May... I finished Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop yesterday... I regret nothing!!! Lol!

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen_stewart) They are so good! Can't wait for the next one!!

message 31: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4465 comments LOL Gisela!!!!

Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* | 20 comments I loved this book ( I'd already read it before it was selected) but I just thought I'd comment and share the love. Personally I really liked the switching viewpoints- I felt like it was probably the only way to understand the vastly different though processes of the different characters. But then everybody has different tolerance levels for changing POVs.

message 33: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 3 comments I didn't read this book during this challenge, I've been really bad about my goodreads up until a few days back,trying to remedy that now... Lots of missed challenges and fun activities I missed out on.. sigh..

Getting back to this book, let's just say, I'm blown away by the different way the shifter "others" are presented here.It's refreshing without veering into Ellora's cave category without the erotic aspects.
There are shades of personal/group interactions very very reminiscent of the author's previous series, which I had found vaguely annoying back then, but were a lot more subdued in this series so far.
I read the first and second book one after the other and than had to wait for the third one, which was so worth it. It's a series that keeps getting better and better.