Read 100+ Books in 2015 discussion

May challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
Wow! I cannot believe how quickly April went nor how busy I was. I had the chance to go to Ottawa for Romancing the Capital. It was a good book conference where I saw old friends and made new ones. So on to May's challenge.

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with a C.
2. Since the Triple Crown begins to be run with the Kentucky Derby, read a book about or with horses.
3. Since it is playoff season, read a book about hockey or basketball.
4. Read a book that has your favorite color in the title.
5. Read a mystery.
6. Read a biography.
7. Read a book over 500 pages long.
8. Read a book about or set in the forest or woods.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments So it's been a while since I've posted. I've been reading The Warriors series about cats. Another really well written series of books for middle grade children. I've finished "Into the Woods" where an ordinary house cat goes feral and is added to a wild clan. I've also finished "Fire and Ice", the second book in the series continuing the rivalries between the clans and added to the adventure. Very good books. Now I just need my daughter to finish up book 3. So those are my books set in the forest. I also finished "By the Shores of Silver Lake". The books are so much better than the Little House series on tv ever was. Right now for May 4th I'm on "Darksaber" continuing the Star Wars adventures of the original characters before the new movie changes all the work those authors have done. Another great fun read. Counting down the days to vacation and looking forward to summer.

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Jun 02, 2015 04:14PM) (new)

Rachel May:

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with a C. The Saint of Lost Things-Christopher Castellani 5-26-15, Love in Disguise-Carol Cox 5-31-15
2. Since the Triple Crown begins to be run with the Kentucky Derby, read a book about or with horses. N/A
3. Since it is playoff season, read a book about hockey or basketball. N/A
4. Read a book that has your favorite color in the title. N/A
5. Read a mystery. Shakespeare's Landlord-Charlaine Harris 5-20-15, Shakespeare's Champion-Charlaine Harris 5-20-15, Shakespeare's Christmas-Charlaine Harris 5-21-15, Shakespeare's Trollop-Charlaine Harris 5-22-15, Shakespeare's Counselor-Charlaine Harris 5-23-15
6. Read a biography. Teresa of Avila: The Book of My Life-Mirabai Starr 5-16-15
7. Read a book over 500 pages long. N/A
8. Read a book about or set in the forest or woods. N/A
9. Your choice. The Secret Garden-Frances Hodgson Burnett 5-2-15, The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold 5-6-15, Winds of Promise-Bodie and Brock Thoene 5-8-15, Seaside Cinderella-Anna Schmidt 5-18-15, Bees in the Butterfly Garden-Maureen Lang 5-28-15, From a Distance-Tamera Alexander 5-31-15

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett -Frances Hodgson Burnett 5-2-15
This is a beautiful story about awakening to life; three children work together to bring a garden back to health and two of them gain their own health, physically and mentally at the same time. Even the grieving father is awakened to mental awareness and health. There's many a time I've reread this book hiding in the garden with Mary, Dickon, and Colin, and now that I'm an adult, I can see why this book has stood the test of time.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments I have that book Rachel. I should try to read it.

message 6: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments What happened to April? Can't believe how fast the days are going by - It's real busy the last few months.
Now we're getting ready for a much needed 10 day camping trip, so I'm lining up the books!

2. Since the Triple Crown begins to be run with the Kentucky Derby, read a book about or with horses.
5. Read a mystery.
"The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith.
6. Read a biography.
Many of the scenes take place in dark forests in Laura Van Den Berg's "Find Me."
9. Your choice.
"Hawkes Harbor" by S.E. Hinton

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold -Alice Sebold 5-6-15
This was a well-written and interesting novel written about a family after the murder of their oldest daughter. It is written from the perspective of the murdered girl; it shows glimpses of her "heaven," her murderer's life, and the lives of her family members as well as the lives of a few former "friends." Even though the beginning of the novel was slightly gruesome, I really enjoyed it.

Winds of Promise (Wayward Wind Series, # 1) by Bodie Thoene -Bodie and Brock Thoene 5-8-15
This was a historical novel set during the time of the California gold rush. It was interesting, but I felt like I learned more about the setting and about steam riverboats than I did about the characters.

message 8: by Sheila (last edited Jun 01, 2015 06:00PM) (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
Lots had been going on so I have not been reading as much. I don't like that. But here's May's list:

6/9, 7 books

1. Read a book whose author's last name begins with a C--Riding Steele by Opal Carew--finished 5/22/15.
5. Read a mystery--Portrait in Death by J. D. Robb--finished 5/6/15.
6. Read a biography--Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan--finished 5/31/15.
7. Read a book over 500 pages long--Outlander by Diana Gabaldon--finished 5/15/15.
8. Read a book about or set in the forest or woods--Wild by Cheryl Strayed--finished 5/22/15.
9. Your choice--Boss: A Billionaire Stepbrother Romance--finished 5/17/15.
My Stepbrother's Arrangement 2 by Juliette Jaye--finished 5/31/15

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Back from our "Gold Country" camping trip - What a great time!

5. Read a mystery.
6. Read a biography.
"Doctor Sleep" by Stephan King
Many of the scenes take place in dark forests in Laura Van Den Berg's "Find Me."
9. Your choice.
"And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini

message 10: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now reading "Doctor Sleep" by Stephen King.

"Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Teresa of Avila The Book of My Life by Mirabai Starr -Mirabai Starr 5-16-15
This was mostly a spiritual memoir of the life and mystic experiences of Teresa of Avila, a Carmelite nun who lived in Spain; she finished her book in 1562.

Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1) by Anna Schmidt -Anna Schmidt 5-18-15
It took me a while to truly get into this historical Christian romance novel, but when I did, I really developed a liking for the characters. The plot was also interesting and not too cliche. It was a fun, fast read.

message 12: by Chuck (last edited May 23, 2015 06:38PM) (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Back from our "Gold Country" camping trip - What a great time!

5. Read a mystery.
6. Read a biography.
"Doctor Sleep" by Stephan King
9. Your choice.
"And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini
"Sweet Thursday" by John Steinbeck.
"One Second After" by William Forstchen.

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 86 comments Now reading "One Second After" by William Forstchen.

"William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end."

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 21 comments So to catch up what I've been reading for the month, here goes. My mystery was "The Westing Game". This is a great young readers book that my daughter read in school. We both loved it. It was well written and had some great plot twists to keep it exciting right to the end. The rest of what are read are all my choices this month. I finished "Darksaber", another awesomely fun Star Wars book. I love how it built on others and that I've read and I look forward to new books and the new movie. Yeah. I finished "Ramona and her Mother" for Ruth's book club. It is a cute book for young readers. Ramona makes me laugh and it is easy to see why Beverly Cleary has endured the test of time. I guess that counts for my C author too. I read "St. Augustine in History" which combines the history of the oldest city in America with a travel guide to the sites of the town. That was interesting to read and has me looking forward to vacation. I also read "The Matchmakers" by Janette Oke. It is a cute story of one set of people working to set up another couple who are trying to set up the 1st couple. Very cute, quick, light, fun read. I read that in one night. I also read "Jacob Have I Loved" by Katherine Paterson. That was one of my favorites from my childhood and I love and understand it better as an adult. It deals with coping with siblings and discovering the real you and finding peace with that discovery. Excellent book. I'm hoping Ruth reads that one. I also finished "The Jesus Hearted Woman" by Jodi Detrick. We were using that one in my women's group. It deals with leading like Jesus and the uniqueness of woman as leaders. Very interesting book on leadership. I also read the Scholastic version of "Star Wars A New Hope". Ruth brought that home from the library as a surprise for me. It followed the original movie exactly but it is still fun. So now I'm working on two books for myself. I'm reading Grace Livingston Hills' "A New Name" and "The Mennonite in the Little Black Dress". Both are interesting so far. Happy reading all and Happy Memorial Day to you as well.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris -Charlaine Harris 5-20-15
This is a fun cozy murder mystery series focusing on housecleaner and karate student/exercise buff Lily Bard. It is written well, and the characters are interesting. I like Lily's growth throughout the series.

Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2) by Charlaine Harris -Charlaine Harris 5-20-15
This is a fun cozy murder mystery series focusing on housecleaner and karate student/exercise buff Lily Bard. It is written well, and the characters are interesting. I like Lily's growth throughout the series.

Shakespeare's Christmas (A Lily Bard Mystery, #3) by Charlaine Harris -Charlaine Harris 5-21-15

Shakespeare's Trollop (A Lily Bard Mystery, #4) by Charlaine Harris -Charlaine Harris 5-22-15

Shakespeare's Counselor (A Lily Bard Mystery, #5) by Charlaine Harris -Charlaine Harris 5-23-15

message 16: by Sheila (last edited May 31, 2015 10:42AM) (new)

Sheila | 74 comments Mod
It's been a busy month for me. We had a lot of deaths and funerals so I did not read as much as I would have liked. I also read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon which was 850 pages for my Romance book club. The question came up about the length of it. The leader of the group asked if we have gotten to the point where we no longer want to commit to reading long books? Has our attention spans gotten so short that we cannot read a long book. It made me think. Outlander was a good book. I took two weeks to read it but I became invested enough in the story I bought the rest of the series which is 6 more books all around that length. What do you think? Have we become such a dumbed down society that if we have to take time and have to think about what we're reading, we won't read it? I read a lot of fluff but I also will read non-fiction and literary fiction as well as the classics. I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed about her hiking along the Pacific Crest Trail. It was interesting and she was totally unprepared but she completed the hike and did it solo and 20 years ago before the internet and the information available today. It did remind me of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. I also read Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan. It's about Edward Curtis who photographed and wrote a 20 volume set called The North American Indian who he was afraid would disappear. It didn't but because of his preservation of the language and customs some of the native tribes were able to bring some of those languages and customs back. It was good reading but I had to think about it to realize what he was saying.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Saint of Lost Things A Novel by Christopher Castellani -Christopher Castellani 5-26-15
This was an interesting historical novel about the lives of an immigrant Italian family trying to better themselves. The characters were well drawn, and the novel's portrayal of the American Dream was well done.

Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy, #1) by Maureen Lang -Maureen Lang 5-28-15
This was a well written historical Christian romance. The character development was excellent, and the plot was one of the most unique I've seen in the genre. I really enjoyed it; it has earned a place on my favorites list.

From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1) by Tamera Alexander -Tamera Alexander 5-31-15
I have not read many of Tamera Alexander's novels, but those few that I have read have been amazing. This was a well written and highly entertaining historical Christian romance and mystery novel. I really loved the characters and the intriguing plot. This is another new entry on my favorites list.

Love in Disguise by Carol Cox -Carol Cox 5-31-15
This is a historical Christian romance and mystery novel with interesting characters. While I found the concept of the novel interesting, I felt that the author could have done more with it. I felt that the resolution between the two lovers came about far too quickly after the man learned that the woman he fell in love with was a role the woman was playing in her role as a detective. Also, I found it unbelievable that a woman just walked into the Pinkerton detective agency and talked her way into a job because of her ability to act and her access to costumes, wigs, and make-up and that she was able to live in a small town for weeks playing not one but two different female roles and only being found out by an inquisitive boy. The idea that an aunt and niece who lived together were never seen at the same time would never have worked in a small town. Also, even though it was the protagonist's first time acting as a detective, it was blatantly obvious in the novel that the only reason she was able to solve the mystery she had been sent to unravel was due to the accident of having asked too many questions. She would never have found out who had been stealing the mine owner's silver if she hadn't been kidnapped by the nervous perpetrator. I was quite disappointed in the novel after having been so intrigued by the concept; however, I really enjoyed the character development of the protagonist as well as the romance between her and Stephen.