A Tale of Two Cities A Tale of Two Cities discussion

Overrated? Why does everyone think it's so suspenseful?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (last edited May 02, 2015 09:59AM) (new) - added it

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gobucks I am reading this for school. Everybody loves it except me. I feel like it is very easy to see what happens in the end. The desriptions are long and dull, and I also find the characters(mainly Darnay, Lucie, Defarge)annoying and unlikeable. Any thoughts? What is the appeal to this book? Thanks.

message 2: by Rut (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rut I was tempted to skip the starting comment for this discussion and write mine right away. No offense, I was really interested in your opinion but I just felt like I did not need to know it in order to answer right away: No, "Tale of two cities" is not overrated. It is one of my favorites, by Dickens, I mean. However, everyone is entitled to have his/her own likes and dislikes. I really hope that you end up enjoying it as much as I did.

message 3: by Mae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mae I understand where you're coming from. Don't worry if you don't share an opinion with your classmates, doubtless you like some books they don't. Remember that the storyline of Two Cities (and other classics) has been recycled so many times that it is easily predictable (think about how many Romeo and Juliet adaptations you've seen/read). A book is called a classic if it's influential in modern fiction/film, says something unique about humanity, etc. Dickens is as relevant today as he was when he was writing, that's why you're reading him for class.
(And don't worry, his writing will become easier to read the more you read it.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gobucks Thanks. :)

Martta I think it was very suspenseful because I knew what would happen in the end - dramatic irony. While reading I kept wondering how it would happen, what would still happen in between to make it possible. To me it didn't really feel old or dusty, except for the first few chapters, which I had trouble getting through.

message 6: by Rut (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rut Agreed. Sometimes you may already know what's coming but that does not keep you from being interested in knowing how it happens...

message 7: by Feliks (last edited Nov 01, 2015 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks If you tell me you could predict the fight between Madame DuFarge and Miss Pross before it actually happened, I'm calling you a liar.