Sacramento Public Library discussion

Reading Challenges > May 2015 Reading Challenge: Steampunk

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 02, 2015 09:51AM) (new)

David Henson | 57 comments Mod
Hello all! This month we’re going to try putting a focus on what is generally a subgenre: Steampunk.

Steampunk normally deals with 19th century societies dominated by historical or imagined steam-powered technology. There are many interpretations of this out there such as “The Difference Engine” by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling that deals more with historical British fiction. We also have remakes of other books, for example of this would be Android Karenina, a remake of Anna Karenina with many elements of steampunk to give it a twist. If you’re not quite sure what you’d like to read for this challenge you could look the “Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology” for many short stories on the genre as well. Feel free to look into all kinds of books, since this is generally a subgenre you can find it in many of the genres you normally read as well!

I will be reading Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters. As a new upcoming author and with many themes of fantasy I have great hopes for this book. What will YOU be reading? Let us know in the comments below for a chance to win an advance copy of a book!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I am a fan of mysteries. Can someone recommend a good steampunk mystery for me to try? Thank you!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 20 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I am a fan of mysteries. Can someone recommend a good steampunk mystery for me to try? Thank you!"

For more of a mystery, try The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. Soulless by Gail Carriger is another good option, but definitely on the lighthearted, humorous side. The Golden Compass has a great story, world, and characters if you don't mind reading children's fiction.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1) by George Mann

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments The Golden Compass is considered Steampunk?? I have already read that series! Maybe I'll try Soulless? I could go for something lighthearted. Thank you for the suggestions!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Thanks for all the options!! A few of them look like I'd enjoy them.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 68 comments Mod
Cinder / written by Marissa Meyer, a book I read recently is a great example of steampunk for YA-Cinder is a part robot who is living a life very similar to her fairly tale counterpart Cinderella, including falling for a prince. This differs in that Cinder is taken off to meet with more of the odd and unusual.

message 7: by John (last edited May 06, 2015 04:42PM) (new)

John Jaramillo (orobusta) | 1 comments Leviathan
I'm going with Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series. Might be more sci-fi than Steampunk, but it's a great re-imagining of World War I using diesel-powered metal machines against a new form of biotechnology. Plus, its a lot of fun.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Since I recently finished reading all of the Blud novels
Wicked as They Come
Wicked as She Wants
Wicked After Midnight
I am now starting the short stories/novellas beginning with
The Mysterious Madam Morpho

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin M. | 28 comments I'm really excited I love steampunk. Gail Carriger books are great fun. I just finished Prudence myself. I just picked up Ministry of Peculiar Occurences novel called Diamond Conspiracy by Ballantine. It's a series with a Avengers(tv show) vibe in Victorian England. The first in the series Phoenix Rising starts with a daring escape and the adventure never stops. I'm always on the look out for new titles I hope I find some new ones from the rest of you guys.

message 10: by Chip (new)

Chip | 89 comments John wrote: "Leviathan
I'm going with Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series. Might be more sci-fi than Steampunk, but it's a great re-imagining of World War I using diesel-powered metal machines ag..."

I really enjoyed the first two in the series - Leviathan and Behemoth. I haven't read Goliath yet, so I'll probably read that for this month's challenge.

Quite a while ago, I received an advance copy a book called Vintage Tomorrows: A Historian and a Futurist Journey Through Steampunk Into the Future of Technology which I've been meaning to read. It's obviously non-fiction, but seems apropos for this month, so I may read that one, too.

message 11: by David (new)

How are all of your books coming along? Honestly I'm finding this a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I often read fantasy or urban fiction, never really getting into a book that is set in a Victorian setting. While I'm enjoying the story of the book I find the mannerisms to be different then I'm used to, I just haven't decided if it's in a good or bad way yet!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat Fithian (caterwaul1) | 28 comments I'm reading Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear is only mildly Steampunk-y as it's set in the American West in a brothel. I'm enjoying it, though, and chose it specifically because of it's unusual setting.

message 13: by Chip (new)

Chip | 89 comments I started Scott Westerfeld's Goliath, the third book in the Leviathan trilogy, yesterday. It has been a long time since I read the previous book and I was a bit put off by the abrupt way this book jumped right into the story. "Wait a minute - who are these people, where are we, what's happening?" I could have used some sort of a refresher. But after about 50 pages, I'm getting back into it now. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed these stories. The level of creativity and imagination almost reminds me of the Harry Potter series. Great fun!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments A trick I've heard is to go see if you can find a Wikipedia entry on the previous book in a series and use that as a refresher.

message 15: by David (new)

Thank you everybody for participating in this months reading challenge! I hope you all enjoyed the books you chose and trying something new.

This months winner is... Robin, congratulations! I'll message you for info on what you like to read and which branch you use.