AfterTV discussion

The Royal We (Royal We, #1)
This topic is about The Royal We
Monthly Discussions > May 2015 - The Royal We

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jess | 37 comments Mod
Next up: The Royal We!

Danielle H (sootyink) | 7 comments I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS, ESPECIALLY ON THE DAY THE NEW ROYAL BABY HAS ARRIVED!!! (I definitely want a sequel already, if that's not obvious)

Sonja (sonni89) | 6 comments YESSSSSSSSS!

Cait (epiccek) | 5 comments I CAN FINALLY JOIN IN A DISCUSSION YAY

Katie (katayla) | 41 comments I'm re-reading Princess Diaries and the fourth book has talk about teen heartthrob (pre-Kate?) Prince William. BLAST FROM THE PAST

/basically on topic

Jess | 37 comments Mod
So what did everyone think? Overall, I liked it, but I definitely thought it was a weird mix of too long/not long enough. I'd much rather they split it into two books and spent more time resolving the Nick/Bex/Freddie thing they (poorly) set up and then quickly resolved.

And the family tree was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Danielle H (sootyink) | 7 comments I definitely wanted so much more of their time at Oxford than a lot of the stuff that came after. Mostly because I really wanted to see them actually dating. Plus the stuff at Oxford was definitely my favorite out of the whole book.

Mostly because it established the friendship between a lot of the characters. I feel like it's rare to see a group of friends in books, maybe because it's too hard to keep track of, I don't know, but it felt very real to me and I loved that. And I loved that you really got to see how the characters interacted and developed these friendships too. FRIENDS ARE JUST REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME.

(As is the idea that a guy will fall in love with you while you watch stupid TV shows in marathon in your pajamas.)

Cathy | 4 comments I didn't like it :-/

I never really warmed up to Nick all that much, which means that I was never sold on the romance either. This may, in part, be due to the fact that entire years got skipped because the book would've been too long otherwise. As a result, though, I was just never convinced that they actually loved each other. They fell in love way too quickly.

The Bex/Lacey storyline was also something I absolutely hated, which is a personal thing, but I couldn't bring myself to have any sympathy for Lacey by the end. I also felt like their issues didn't really get resolved in the end? The ending seemed far too abrupt somehow and I didn't buy them being back to normal.

I'm not even going to dive into the Bex/Freddie/Nick part of the book.

This just wasn't my thing, sadly.

Katie (katayla) | 41 comments (As is the idea that a guy will fall in love with you while you watch stupid TV shows in marathon in your pajamas.)

This was pretty great.

But, overall, I didn't quite like it. I agree with Jess that it was both too long and not long enough. I liked a lot of the pieces (NOT the Freddie thing and I agree with Cathy that the Lacey thing wasn't really resolved), but it didn't come together enough for me.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess | 37 comments Mod
The Bex and Lacey stuff did not work for me at all. I completely agree. That was actually one of the more uncomfortable moments for me as a british monarchy person, because Lacey was so obviously a Pippa Middleton stand-in and for the most part, none of the ways that Lacey tried to use her sister are the ways that Pippa has. And maybe that was the point, but since they were running the parallels so close, it made me sort of upset that even more people were going to end up hating Pippa as a result.

message 11: by Meg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg (thewaltzingdead) I adored the Oxford section, because I felt like you could actually see these two people falling in love. But Nick was so... absent throughout the remainder of the novel (and when he was there he was being kind of a dillweed. A dillweed with somewhat understandable motivations. But still. A dillweed). There was so much more of Bex reacting to their relationship, or reacting to people reacting to their relationship, rather than just them being in a relationship.

message 12: by Meg (last edited May 30, 2015 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meg (thewaltzingdead) Jess wrote: "The Bex and Lacey stuff did not work for me at all. I completely agree. That was actually one of the more uncomfortable moments for me as a british monarchy person, because Lacey was so obviously a..."

It was weird, because Bex and Nick actually felt really, "comfortably" separate from Will and Kate so it didn't feel too fan ficcy when it was just the two of them. But when it came to characters like Freddie and Lacey and Emma - they were clearly trying to do a few things differently, but there were enough similarities with Harry/Pippa/Diana where the changes made things... awkward (actually I felt like they didn't try to adapt the Freddie character and make him his own Harry-separate person enough, so that all the Freddie/Bex stuff was SUPER uncomfortable).

message 13: by Jess (last edited May 30, 2015 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess | 37 comments Mod
They didn't adapt Freddie AT ALL from their Harry voice on GFY, which made for a very strange reading experience. Like, I get that their Harry isn't Harry, but when you are portraying a real person as one thing, maybe put a little more distance between that thing and your supposedly fictional character in your book?

I was mostly good with the Emma vs. Diana thing, though. If a little frustrated at how it went back to the dad (Richard?) the bad guy at the end of it. But that may be because I have grown very fond of Prince Charles.

Katie (katayla) | 41 comments I was mostly good with the Emma vs. Diana thing, though.

I liked this, too. It was a really interesting way to adapt the situation.

Richard was definitely separate from Charles in my head, though.

message 15: by Cait (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cait (epiccek) | 5 comments The Lacey stuff was so uncomfortable. I didn't like Nick, but pretty much everyone (including him) was so separate from the real people that it didn't bother me too much.

THE FUCKING FAMILY TREE.

I agree about length too. I think if it had ended with the second engagement I would have been happy. Enough of the drama etc had happened by that point that we didn't need to see it through to the wedding.

message 16: by Cathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy | 4 comments Meg wrote: "I adored the Oxford section, because I felt like you could actually see these two people falling in love. But Nick was so... absent throughout the remainder of the novel (and when he was there he w..."

Yes, I completely agree with this and it was one of my bigger complaints about the book. Nick just wasn't there for a big part of it, and I had a hard time buying the romance because we didn't get to see much of them actually being in a relationship. Whenever they did have a few moments together, the book always focussed on everything surrounding them rather than on them as people.

Sonja (sonni89) | 6 comments I just wanted so much more of their time in Oxford and so much less of everything else, basically.

I think I feel a lot more negatively about the rest of the book now than I did when I initially finished reading it a few weeks ago. A lot of it has just left a sour taste in my mouth that definitely wasn't there as an initial reaction.

However, the Oxford stuff has become so much more important to me. Good friend groups are SO RARE in fiction, and this was a wonderful one. And like, an English university experience is still so different from what we have here, but it was definitely more relatable to me than most American college stories. I liked seeing that whole thing.

And Bex and Nick falling in love basically over stupid TV shows was my everything. Definitely agree with everybody else that Nick was just too absent during the rest of the book.

message 18: by Caro (last edited May 31, 2015 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caro (wutheringreads) | 9 comments I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I felt like Bex and Nick fell in love far too quickly - I could always tell that they liked each other, but they went from like to love in a heartbeat. Yes, they were friends, but in my opinion we didn't actually get to see them falling in love. And because the beginning of the relationship felt rushed, all the rest never really hooked me.

L o r d, I hated the Nick/Bex/Freddie thing. It was super uncomfortable, especially when you take into account the inspiration for the characters. Plus I couldn't really buy that something as big as a kiss between a woman and her fiancé's brother could be resolved so quickly: it was like, she has doubts, he has feelings (that came out of nowhere), they kiss, and then BOOM. She has no doubts, he has no feelings, and the groom finds out and marries her anyway, all within a day.

I did really enjoy were the group scenes. The friendships were really well paced, and so believable. And Danielle and Sonja put it perfectly: positive friendships are rare in fiction, and finding so many examples here made me happy.

message 19: by Alix (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alix (hiboudeminuit) | 12 comments Overall I liked the book but didn't love it (or like it as much as I wanted to). I really enjoyed the parts of the book in Oxford and reading about Bex's experiences there, her friendship developing and how her and Nick's relationship grew out of the that friendship.

I found the rest of the book really rushed and scattered. The post-uni years before the breakup felt "blink and you missed it" and the whole reunion/engagement period more so. I didn't feel like we got enough emotional resolution and development there.

I also felt like I never really got to know Nick, despite them setting up a lot of opportunities where we could have.

Plus I couldn't really buy that something as big as a kiss between a woman and her fiancé's brother could be resolved so quickly
THIS was my biggest issue with the book. I remember looking at how many pages were left and thinking there was no way they'd be able to resolve this in that amount of time and I was right. The end is SO RUSHED. It's like everything is glazed over because of this looming deadline and Bex and Nick are fine with getting married despite all this huge stuff that has happened!!

I also found Bex and Lacey's relationship really problematic. Lacey never was a sympathetic character to me, at all. I didn't care about her and really felt like, once again, the conflict between her and Bex was quickly glossed over and resolved.

Finishing on a good note though: I really like the friendships in the book; As Sonja, Danielle and Caro pointed out. It was the highlight of the story for me and part of the reason I really liked the whole Oxford section.