A Pleasure and a Calling A Pleasure and a Calling question

Why? (Spoilers Inside)
Lola Sherlock Lola May 02, 2015 08:11AM
Why does Hemings take the two kids to the cemetery and make it look like an abduction by the guy who works there? Was he getting revenge for something?

I don't think he meant to frame the caretaker. Wasn't he laying on a bench while the children played underneath hidden by a sheet? I think he just wanted to observe them in their innocence the way he observed everyone around him. He also wanted to observe Mrs. Damato's reaction when she discovered the children missing. I don't think he necessarily wanted anything bad to happen to the children, he just didn't care if it did. When the boy returned home alone, Mr. Heming was curious about the girl. When he saw her wander home and wind up hit by the car, it was just another observation. He felt no connection to that or responsibility for it just like he felt no responsibility for the fact that Douglas Sharp killed the dog after Heming left the poop on the rug.

deleted user He does say, when describing the incident with his cousin's dolls, that he switched their clothing. My guess is that he did the same with the children ...more
Jun 27, 2019 03:49AM · flag

Ha! I remember that section of the book very well. It also confused me. It was a little snippet from Heming's passed when he was younger.

My view was that because he had been in trouble before and because he was a youngster, he was scared to come clean (like children are). Plus it also explains a little more why he is a little strange.

Daniel (last edited Jun 13, 2019 10:39AM ) Jun 13, 2019 10:37AM   0 votes
Yeah, did the cat kill the baby? And did Mr. Hemming kill his aunt?

F 25x33
Meg Yes, I think we are meant to understand that little Heming was indirectly responsible for his baby brother's death. He was just innocently admiring th ...more
Jun 15, 2019 09:10AM

I think this was a very deliberate scene to add to the complexity of the character and to spark ideas of Mr. Hemings' monstrosity. But really, he was ten. His beloved mother is dead and he is already thought to be terrible because the cat killed the baby? It's misdirection by the author and should be a central discussion point of the book. Just sayin'

Are we sure that the cat killed the baby?