Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Road Trip book suggestions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 4 comments My husband and I enjoy reading books together while we travel. We either listen to an audiobook or he reads aloud while I drive (no reading in the car for me due to extreme motion sickness). Our taste in books is quite different, so it's often difficult to find a book we're both excited about reading. We've found that humorous non-fiction is generally the best option. In the past we've both loved books by Ken Jennings and Bill Bryson.

We're headed out on a road trip next week and I would love to hear your suggestions. Any thoughts on what we should read next?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 51 comments You might like Mary Roach. It's light hearted non-fiction- more pop science than hard science, but still fun.

If you are willing to take a chance on fiction, I'd suggest Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, or The Stupidest Angel A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore. A lot of my family and friends have wildly differing ideas about what's funny or entertaining, but I haven't met too many people who don't like those books.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill I would recommend Jon Ronson. I have not read his newest So You've Been Publicly Shamed but I really enjoyed Them: Adventures with Extremists. A J Jacobs The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World was entertaining also. Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster is not funny but is riveting.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2767 comments Mod
Anything by Carl Hiaasen fiction usually takes place in FL with an environmental issue. Always amusing.

Believe it or not Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief about The Church of Scientology. My husband and I each listened to it and both of us loved it.

We Are Not Ourselves, my husband doesn't usually listen to fiction, but he accidentally listened to this and gave it 4 stars. I did, too.

message 5: by Adore (new)

Adore Linda wrote: "Anything by Carl Hiaasen fiction usually takes place in FL with an environmental issue. Always amusing.

Believe it or not [book:Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of..."

i second the going clear suggestion! i didn't listen to it on audio, but this is a fantastic expose of the church and its evolution from the early L Ron Hubbard years to present day. there were so many times when i gasped out loud and pressed on despite being dead tired or running late for something. lawrence wright essentially left no rock unturned -- he presents his meticulous research in such a fun and (disturbing) way!

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 4 comments Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm excited to check all of these options out.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 4 comments Jill wrote: "I would recommend Jon Ronson. I have not read his newest So You've Been Publicly Shamed but I really enjoyed Them: Adventures with Extremists. A J Jacobs [book:The Know-It-All: On..."

I loved Into Thin Air. It launched me into an Everest phase and I devoured everything I could find on the topic.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Favorites of ours:

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Any David Sedaris
My Like as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short
Dean and Me: A Love Story by Jerry Lewis
Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Redshirts by John Scalzi
Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 4 comments That sounds fantastic! Thank you, Ruby!