Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > april 2015 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments A bit of a ho-hum month. Here are my April reads:

Good Reads

Full Dark House (Bryant & May, # 1) by Christopher Fowler Full Dark House
Christopher Fowler
A decent debut that introduces Bryant & May who are possibly the oldest police detectives in the world. The plot goes back and forth between the present day and the London Blitz when the duo first started working together. I found the pacing a bit slow though but the narration by Tim Goodman was very good and helped pull me through til the end.

The Murder Stone by Charles Todd The Murder Stone
Charles Todd
A stand-alone historical that is really more gothic suspense than mystery like the authors' other works that I have read. I enjoyed the plotting and found the young heroine appealing. Lots of atmosphere, secrets, and a bit of romance made this well worth reading.

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight Reconstructing Amelia
Kimberly McCreight
Debut novel that was nominated for a Best First Edgar. I can't say I enjoyed the story but did find it well written though somewhat melodramatic. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Khristine Hvam who did an excellent job especially with the teen characters.

Shatter (Joseph O'Loughlin, #3) by Michael Robotham Shatter
Michael Robotham
I really enjoyed the writing style and characterizations in this book but the plot just had too many incidents of stupid behavior. It was very suspenseful though and the narration of the audio by Sean Barrett was top notch.

Disappointing

Death Angels (Inspector Winter, #1) by Åke Edwardson Death Angels
Åke Edwardson
The first book in the Eric Winter series set in Sweden which seems to be pretty well regarded but fell rather flat for me. The main character never did really come into focus and while there were numerous other characters none really made an impression. The plot was fairly pedestrian and the writing just so so. Maybe it was a translation issue but am not sure I will try another in the series to find out.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Sandi.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments I kept meaning to get to RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA, but I REALLY hate reading books on my Kindle! (love it for magazines, tho!)

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Nice variety though.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Sorry you had a ho hum month, Sandi. I always look forward to your lists of audiobooks. I had forgotten that Reconstructing Amelia was nominated for a best first Edgar award in 2014. It was very well narrated.
The 2015 Edgar winners were just announced.
http://www.theedgars.com/nominees.html

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Magazines are great on tablets, aren't they, Melodie. I find myself reading more Kindle titles on my phone app.

Melodie wrote: "I kept meaning to get to RECONSTRUCTING AMELIA, but I REALLY hate reading books on my Kindle! (love it for magazines, tho!)"

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Only one disappointing book? Great month! :)