Bookworm Belles discussion

The Scarlet Letter
This topic is about The Scarlet Letter
Archives > Let's discuss The Scarlet Letter

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savannah (vannah09) | 1261 comments Mod
Please feel free to make any comments, predictions and reviews here! Let's discuss The Scarlet Letter.

message 2: by Katy (last edited May 03, 2015 06:03AM) (new) - added it

Katy H (the_other_katy) | 223 comments I've actually lived 32 years and never read this...apparently that's weird so I got it free from Amazon!

The Scarlet Letter FREE EBOOK

message 3: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hahah that is kind of weird... most schools make you read it!

message 4: by Katy (last edited May 03, 2015 05:59AM) (new) - added it

Katy H (the_other_katy) | 223 comments Yep, I'm not sure how I missed it. Maybe it was because I was out sick, or because I passed up English my senior year in favor of a college credit English Lit class.

Jessica Gosh I can't get through this!!

Haley Hunsucker (itishales) | 57 comments Mod
So, in my 19th Century American Novel class last semester, I had to read it and I absolutely loved it. For the most part, old Hawthorne here was a misogynist. He didn't like the fact that women were writing novels, and called them "a damned mob of scribbling women." I think it is interesting how he makes Hester such a strong character, almost to the point of proto-feminism. What do you all make of this?

message 7: by Savannah, Founding Mother-Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I never got a grasp on Hawthorne. He is such a misogynist, but just like you, I've never understood why he did make Hester so strong. And essentially fight for her in his writing! I'm wondering if he appreciated women, just not intruding his field of work. Maybe he thought they wrote from too many emotions, rather than telling the story point blank. One of the greats I wish I could sit down to dinner with.