UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Royal Baby vs Election

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Who would have believed that the nation could be relieved to see the media going bonkers about the royal baby, but given the choice of a bank holiday weekend with Ed Milliband or Kate Middleton what would you choose?

Its a no-brainer for me :)

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Bull (bethanybull) | 4 comments Haha, true, the news tends to warble on with one topic for ever!!

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Does he mean me? ;)

message 4: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Am I allowed to reveal that I'm a Republican who'd love to see the Royal family abolished? Sorry for raining on any parades :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments R.M.F wrote: "Am I allowed to reveal that I'm a Republican who'd love to see the Royal family abolished? Sorry for raining on any parades :)"

You can RMF, it's a free world. Your internet connection may well become unstable and posts will mysteriously disappear from the group.

I am a royalist but your secret is safe with me.

message 6: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "R.M.F wrote: "Am I allowed to reveal that I'm a Republican who'd love to see the Royal family abolished? Sorry for raining on any parades :)"

You can RMF, it's a free world. Your internet connecti..."

Thank you :) When I was young, I did the history of the French Revolution, and I always had this image of it happening in this country - hordes of Scotsmen storming Buckingham palace, and Prince Charles being exiled to Skegness :)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Well, Nicola Sturgeon may well do that in a couple of weeks time

message 8: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Given the choice - I choose neither.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I chose the non-TV option.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "Well, Nicola Sturgeon may well do that in a couple of weeks time"

Wills and Kate have ruled out any coalition between Nicola Sturgeon and their new baby after the christening.

message 11: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I've got a remote control and I know how to use it. Problem solved.

The election is a free piece of soap opera. The two main parties are pretty close to each other - largely because there is not as much choice about how to govern the country as they would like us to think.

The wacky minority parties are wacky and minority. We get a choice between UKIPs "full black and half black" manifesto, Nicholas Sturgeon bankrupting us by getting us even further into debt and the lib dems coming over all tarty and offering to get into bed with anyone who will have them.

But it probably won't matter all that much because their wackiness will be tempered by whichever of the main two parties actually forms the Government.

Sit back and enjoy the show. Barring some freak accident which actually gives some power to UKIP or the SNP, there is not much that could go wrong. Well, not too badly wrong.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a new baby. Aw, bless. Now we get a free bit of fun speculating whether she will be called Diana, Camilla or Elizabeth. I strongly suspect we can rule out Britney.

It's all a pantomime. None of it really matters and there's snooker on BBC2

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments have Ed & Kate breed and then slaughter their children. That's a 'neither' in case of any ambiguity

message 13: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments It's the lovely Kate for me, provided all that placenta goo has been cleaned up.

message 14: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Michael Cargill wrote: "It's the lovely Kate for me, provided all that placenta goo has been cleaned up."

I think there's a live stream of that on cable TV somewhere

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Marc wrote: "Michael Cargill wrote: "It's the lovely Kate for me, provided all that placenta goo has been cleaned up."

I think there's a live stream of that on cable TV somewhere"

Now I'm REALLY glad I don't have TV!

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Will wrote: "there's snooker on BBC2 "

Gawd. Now I really am depressed :(

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments I must admit the lack of a TV cheers me immensely at times :-)

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments It's not that I object to snooker per se -- I can simply choose not to watch it, as is right and proper, but it's the knock on effect of things that I *do* want to watch getting bumped, cancelled and "rescheduled" to an unspecified future. That's what I really hate about snooker.

And for those watching in black and white, the blue ball is the one behind the pink.

message 19: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments It used to piss me right off when Quantum Leap got cancelled because of the snooker.

message 20: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I have been glued to the telly all day today. On Animal Planet they had back to back "Animal Airport". Fascinating.
I did turn to Sky News in one advert break. I timed it perfectly as the newly born was on display outside the hospital. I then watched it for 5 minutes, watching the helicopter shot (only on Sky News, not BBC) as they drove home. I was interested in the logistics of them with the police outriders stopping traffic and also watching him going the wrong way down the road and also around a mini roundabout. I understand that today, all the world is watching them, but do they stop all traffic at all the time or just on special occasions?

message 21: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments the traffic usually stops itself through gridlock

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I think normally they are able to sneak out of the house without 500 photographers and reporters on their tail.

Animal Airport? Wassat? Sounds much more interesting . . . (not that I have Sky, mind)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Huh, it's when they stop or bump radio programmes for the damn cricket I lose my temper. Watch cricket, listening to cricket WTF!
No to election stuff, I voted ages ago (postal) bored now
Royal baby, all done no need to go on and on. Anyway my new grandson is the best baby in the world.
Snooker? Well it's ok as a background to reading

message 24: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments Tim wrote: "I think normally they are able to sneak out of the house without 500 photographers and reporters on their tail.

Animal Airport? Wassat? Sounds much more interesting . . . (not that I have Sky, mind)"

It's a fly on the wall reality show about the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow Airport. All animals passing through have to go via them. There's hardly a species on the planet that they haven't seen. Well probably loads, but they certainly have a fair few going through as well as the usual pets.

message 25: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Sunday newspapers full of the usual Royalist propaganda.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "Huh, it's when they stop or bump radio programmes for the damn cricket I lose my temper. Watch cricket, listening to cricket WTF!
Royal ba..."

I like cricket, watching live or tv and radio. Can't stand athletics or motor sport of any description. Between that and the reality programmes and slops soaps there isn't much on the tv left that will interest me. That is why I don't watch much tv so can avoid all the politics, the junk mail that has been these last few weeks goes straight through the shredder and into the waste paper bin.

message 27: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "Huh, it's when they stop or bump radio programmes for the damn cricket I lose my temper. Watch cricket, listening to cricket WTF!
Royal ba..."

cricket is now only on Sky. It's safe to return to terrestrial channels!

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I don't mind watching cricket but listening to it is like listening to golf. It's just daft.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments The thing about listening to cricket was the commentators from the old Test match special

They were irreplaceable

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments The latest breed of sports commentators aren't in the same league. Shouty wimmin with megaphones not microphones, drives me to the off switch on Saturday afternoons. It's not more exciting when they shriek.

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments So... Do we know what it's called yet? Princessella, not Lib/Lab pact, I mean?

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments My money's on Cruella . . .

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments How about Anastasia? Good royal name...

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Victoria.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments My guess is that Elizabeth will be in there somewhere

message 36: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments The poor wee mite will probably have more names than a Crufts champion. My money would be on Betty for Grandma and Great Grandma-am, Vicky for history and something a little more down to earth to keep a link to the commoner side of the family. Maybe Philippa to honour sis?

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Royal baby for Prime Minister, I cry!

Could be worse.

message 38: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments We need a real Princess Jessica . . . ;)

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Oh, we SO do!

message 40: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I don't imagine there's much point in asking for Leia?

No, didn't think so.

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments She's not worn particularly well, Will!

message 42: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Kath wrote: "She's not worn particularly well, Will!"

to be fair Ms Fisher has absolutely caned it with her hard living lifestyle

message 43: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments No? She still looking might fine to this bounty hunter.

If I can't have Leia, how about Amidala? This is Star Wars day, after all!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments How about Bride?

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Oh, aye - that Natalie Portman was a looker.

message 46: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments My younger family members were hoping that it would turn out to be an evil mutant baby that raided a chocolate factory... :)

message 47: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Cassandra will do for me. Let's hope she foretells the end of her family dynasty

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments oh whoopie
And may we get the president that we deserve

message 49: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jim wrote: "oh whoopie
And may we get the president that we deserve"

that's Russell brand isn't it?

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21944 comments Well he cannot be any worse than the sort of political muppet who would get the job

« previous 1