The Book Basilisks discussion

May 2015 Book Discussions > May 2015 Group Read: Paper Towns

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Hi everyone, now that the nominations and polls are closed we have the book with the most votes, which is Paper Towns by John Green!
This is the place for you to discuss the book amongst each other and talk about how you felt and what you thought about the book.

Things and aspects you can discuss about:
1. Characters
2. Plot
3. Setting
4. Writing style
5. Title
6. Dialogues

Not to mention the fact that its movie adaptation will be released soon, so we will also have the chance to compare the book with the movie!

message 2: by KatiePasta (new)

KatiePasta Hey guys! I've previously read this book, and while I don't remember exact details I do remember enjoying it a lot! I am also excited for the movie adaptation, so I think this is perfect to read now prior to its release!

Unfortunately my copy is back in my hometown which is 3,000 miles away from me currently! I am driving back to my hometown so hopefully I can find a copy of the book somehow along the way, since I don't think libraries would enjoy me taking it to the other side of the country and probably forgetting to return it!

message 3: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) That's alright! I haven't started reading it as well since I haven't got the book yet but I will start reading it soon :)
What about the others? Has anyone started reading the book yet?

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia_jules15) I've actually read Paper Towns twice already... but I don't mind reading it again! I actually run a sideblog on tumblr for Paper Towns (it's my second favorite John Green book). Can't wait for the movie!

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea slytherink (slytherink) I have already read it as well :) it's a nice book, i hope you'll enjoy it! i'm very excited for the movie!

@Julia, what's your sideblog? I would love to see more Paper Towns on my dash!

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia_jules15) halvblood wrote: "I have already read it as well :) it's a nice book, i hope you'll enjoy it! i'm very excited for the movie!

@Julia, what's your sideblog? I would love to see more Paper Towns on my dash!"

It's paperingtowns :)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Houser (houserftway) | 7 comments Just got my copy of paper towns from the library and super excited to read it

avery ♞ do something revolutionary (averyreadsbooks) | 9 comments I read it a few months ago, can't wait to discuss it!

message 9: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) That's wonderful guys! For those of you who have read it: what do you think of the writing style? Because I've read TFIOS and I liked the writing style, is his language the same in Paper Towns as well?

message 10: by Jian (new)

Jian (jianp) I've read Paper Towns before. To be honest, I don't like John Green that much and I'm not that eager to re-read it...

message 11: by Jian (new)

Jian (jianp) Katherine wrote: "I think he has the same writing style in all of his books that I've read. I realized it when I was reading Let It Snow, a book collaboration with M Johnson and L Myracle, it was obvious which story..."

Yeah. It gets kinda repetitive and boring.

message 12: by Clara (new)

Clara (clara_sa) Katherine wrote: "I think he has the same writing style in all of his books that I've read. I realized it when I was reading Let It Snow, a book collaboration with M Johnson and L Myracle, it was obvious which story..."

That's exactly what I think. While reading Paper Towns I was like "are you sure this isn't a Looking for Alaska AU?"

message 13: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Hmm, I sort of agree. The Fault in Our Stars was great in terms of writing style and the characters are okay but the plot is a little meh and too predictable. Added to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of romance lovey-dovey kind of novels anyway. But I still have neutral feelings for Paper Towns since I haven't even started reading it yet :)
What about the characters? Are the couples really similar with his other books as well?

message 14: by Karolina M (new)

Karolina M | 17 comments yea i sort of do agree all of his books are similar BUT paper towns is my favorite and ive read it 3 times already! haha but ill read some parts once again just so i can discuss it with you guys :))

message 15: by chai (new)

chai (stclairy) | 13 comments I haven't read PT in a while, but I do remember it being the John Green book I liked the best. personally, I didn't particularly enjoy any of the characters, but the plot and the clues were interesting enough to keep me engaged.

message 16: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea slytherink (slytherink) I enjoy his books when I am in the mood for some light reading, but agree, he's a very repetitive writer. I also didn't ship the two characters in PT and that is why I enjoyed the story less in the beginning. And I didn't like the male main character too much either. But I did like his friends so I started to enjoy the story more when they were involved :)

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments john green is a repetitive writer but if you read one book only then its chill but its gets annoying when u read all of them. i actually just finished reading pt today and its like 3 am so i have so many emotions.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments also what do you guys think of margo and quinten, bc personally Q really annoyed bc he was so dismissive about whats going on with his friends lives and too self centred. As for margo i resented her at first for putting him through that chase but the end kinda made me liked her bc it gave me a better understanding of her.

avery ♞ do something revolutionary (averyreadsbooks) | 9 comments I liked this because it just feels more real than TFIOS, which was just so crazy and improbable for realistic fiction. I do agree with not shipping Margo and Q because Margot is really only in the first chapter, so you never get to see their relationship.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments ya same i don't ship them but i think overall it wasn't that bad of a story but i dont think it deserves the hype it gets.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina Cantin | 4 comments I didn't ship them but in a weird way I didn't feel like we were supposed to ship them? if that makes sense. like I sort of thought the point was that q romanticised Margo to the point where he saw her as more of a concept or a goal than a person? anyone else agree?

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina Cantin | 4 comments I didn't ship them but in a weird way I didn't feel like we were supposed to ship them? if that makes sense. like I sort of thought the point was that q romanticised Margo to the point where he saw her as more of a concept or a goal than a person? anyone else agree?

message 23: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Sara wrote: "also what do you guys think of margo and quinten, bc personally Q really annoyed bc he was so dismissive about whats going on with his friends lives and too self centred. As for margo i resented he..."

Hmm I don't know I actually liked Q more than Margo, but I'm still in the middle of the story so the opinion might change. Margo seemed like the type of person who doesn't care about anyone other than herself except when she needs them??

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments I've thought the same about at margo at first and i guess i sort of do still but it considerably lessened when i reached the end because it made me get her better and also sorta humanized her to me.

message 26: by Karolina M (new)

Karolina M | 17 comments Tina wrote: "I didn't ship them but in a weird way I didn't feel like we were supposed to ship them? if that makes sense. like I sort of thought the point was that q romanticised Margo to the point where he saw..."

idk if we were supposed to ship them or not but john definitely focused on the romanticising thing. after finding out who margo really was Q had to fall in love with a completely different girl. and btw, i actually rly liked reading this book from a perspective of someone in love, i feel like the way Q described Margo was VERY subjective but thats what made her character interesting!

message 27: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I really liked the ending too! It was sweet but not overly sweet or cheesy. Also what do you guys think about the other characters? Because I really liked Quentin and his relationship with his friends. It'd be really weird if he did everything he did by himself.

message 28: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Yes, I agree. Most of the time Margo's actions really irritate me and I was sort of glad of Q's slight anger at her at the end.

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments ya same but i actually didnt like Q's frienships bc like he's not a really good friend tbh but neither was Ben and i just thought they were toxic to each other and thats not the kind of friendship that will last. I loved Radar as character tho.

message 30: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjaminray) | 2 comments By the end of the book I was so done with Margo's attention seeking actions, so I felt really satisfied with Q's process of separating the image of Margo from who she really is. I did really like the writing style, I think it suits the story. Definitely agree with others on the weakness of the plot.

message 31: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I don't really know Sara, I think Ben was an okay guy. I guess he's just like a typical high school boy, who plays games, is in a band, wants to get laid, etc. But he's also a loyal and kind friend, he actually listens to Q's ramblings about the girl he likes and even accompanies him to find Margo.
What do you guys think of the writing style? At first I didn't really like it because Q keep narrating in an annoying way, like stating things with numbers and stuff like that. But at the middle towards the end of the book I began to like it.

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 91 comments "Maybe all the strings inside him broke."

also

"It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world."