Bizarro Fiction discussion

The Splatter House Rules
This topic is about The Splatter House Rules
MAY- JEFF O'BRIEN > TERESA'S PICK: THE SPLATTER HOUSE RULES

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
Hey-O!!! This will be where we can bullshit over O'Brien's sleazy slasher The Splatter House Rules! Jump on in!

Matt Williams (sketcity) | 19 comments Still need to read this!

message 3: by Matt (last edited May 04, 2015 02:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Williams (sketcity) | 19 comments Just finished this . . . liked it a lot! It's unlike anything I've ever read, due to it's cartoon-y delivery and whimsical style. I seemed to picture all the action in a kind of fast paced reel of colourful, exaggerated and bloody violence. On top of that it's a decent horror, of course created by all the finest cliches, but nonetheless, it has a sense of style that leaves it feeling totally unique, and in the words of Bill and Ted it is 'Most Excellent!
Very enjoyable to read and great imagery! Just discovered Bizarro so this is all knew to me. Anyone else see this as more of a mental cartoon unraveling in their heads? I'm guessing it's a trait in Bizarro?

message 4: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff O'Brien (jeffkissarmy) | 24 comments Matt wrote: "Just finished this . . . liked it a lot! It's unlike anything I've ever read, due to it's cartoon-y delivery and whimsical style. I seemed to picture all the action in a kind of fast paced reel of..."

Thank you, sir! I'm more of a writer who incorporates elements of the bizarro genre than I am a true bizarro writer. I always called my work "cult horror", but I'm also glad to have people call it whatever they want. If it weren't for the bizarro genre, I don't think my books would ever have found an appreciative audience. They just seem to get me.

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments I started it yesterday and like it so far even though the good stuff has just started.

message 6: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa (teresatheterrible) | 299 comments Mod
I'm almost done, but I set it down for about a week. So today atvthe laundromat, I plan on re-reading everything and getting my review up. So we'll be reading together Rick! :-)

Matt Williams (sketcity) | 19 comments Jeff wrote: "Matt wrote: "Just finished this . . . liked it a lot! It's unlike anything I've ever read, due to it's cartoon-y delivery and whimsical style. I seemed to picture all the action in a kind of fast ..."

Cult Horror makes sense! It was good a read! Punchy writing style, short and sweet but very fast paced! Fun one to visualize; gruesome, but fun. Reading through Boobenstein at the moment. Will review after. Like it so far!

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Just ordered it! Should get it Friday, so very excited to read this one!!!!

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Just ordered it! Should get it Friday, so very excited to read this one!!!!

message 11: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff O'Brien (jeffkissarmy) | 24 comments Hey, people. I'm offering a special deal on the paperback of this book. I have some versions with the old cover lying around. If you'd like a signed copy of the old cover version, I'll send it to you for 7 bucks. And if you want a signed copy of the current cover version, I'll send that for 10. Message me if interested.

Stephanie Riley | 40 comments Finished it and loved it! Couldn't put it down. I want a real like Veronica!

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments Finally finished it on Friday and just wrote my review. I love the music references. I got a Lovecraftian vibe between the eternal horror in the lake and the Whately family feel from mom & dad. Great take on politicians, cracked my ass up!

This was definitely a cross-genre story but had some bizarro in it for sure. I think if you had to pigeonhole it then Bizarro is a good label.

For some stupid reason Amazon will let me say "damn" but not "goddamn" in my review. Bastards.

message 14: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff O'Brien (jeffkissarmy) | 24 comments Amazon is tyrannical about that shit! Drives me nuts. And thank you!

message 15: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (rwestbrock) | 143 comments I am always happy to leave an honest review, even more so when it's a good one!