You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2015 - The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lynda | 836 comments I just recently re-read this book, so I'll read The Martian instead. Just wanted to pop in, though, and say that this is one of my all-time favorite books, and I'm very jealous of those of you who get to discover it for the first time!

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments I'll start it this week :)

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I can't wait to read all your comments. I loved this book

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments I wanted to start this morning on the train but I ran into a colleague and thought it would be rude to start reading a book.

Better luck on the way back home this afternoon hopefully :)

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments I've read about 15% and find it very entertaining so far. Not laugh out loud funny, but it definitely makes me smile. I really liked the part in the beginning about people on earth being unhappy and it having something to do with small green papers that move around.

I also like finally reading famous quotes (don't panic, the importance of towels) in their original context.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I believe Towel Day is towards the end of the month so it's the perfect month for reading this book. I think a couple years back Rusalka based a monthly challenge on it.

message 8: by Cherie (last edited May 07, 2015 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Sarah wrote: "I believe Towel Day is towards the end of the month so it's the perfect month for reading this book. I think a couple years back Rusalka based a monthly challenge on it."

Yes, Don't Forget Your Towel. It was a great challenge. I think she had us reading SF genre we had never tried before. I still have a huge list of steampunk titles on my TBR list. I finally bought Perdido Street Station but have not fit it into my Series Challenge yet.

Sarye Peggy wrote: "I've read about 15% and find it very entertaining so far. Not laugh out loud funny, but it definitely makes me smile..."

I feel exactly the same. Not laugh out loud funny just entertaining.

Peggy wrote: "I also like finally reading famous quotes (don't panic, the importance of towels) in their original context. "

Yes, I finally got to know the whys of the importance of the towel :D

Sarye Does anyone here seen the movie? How do you feel about it comparing to the book?

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments You will recognize parts of the book in the movie, but they could not put a lot of it in. I saw the movie with my daughter and we both agreed that it was very good. Many lines and some scenes are very well done, and I loved the end. The actors represented the book characters very well, IMO.

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2015 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments I think I've seen parts of the movie a looooooong time ago. I don't remember any of it though.

I'm halfway through the book now. I can see why many people would give it 5 stars, but it's not that good for me. Not bad either, but it's not wowing me and so far I don't feel the urge to immediately read the other books in the series as well. I might though ;)

There are parts that make me laugh, and I like the criticism on the human race, but also parts where I feel like I'm missing something. Also, I have no interest whatsoever in books in space or in the SF genre, and although HHGTTG definitely does not have an emphasis on it, there is still spacey stuff, which sometimes I don't understand (could be intentional or might be just me)

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I saw the film before reading the book. It was just ok for me. I definitely enjoyed the book more.

Sarye Just finished it. Marvin is definitely the best character to me!

Lynda | 836 comments I think the movie did a good job capturing the spirit of Hitchhiker's, and the cast did do a great job. When I saw the teaser in the theater during another movie, I about came out of my seat I was so excited. No one else I was there with had heard of it, which was its own amusement. There are some departures in the movie through. Having just finished the whole series I kept waiting for certain things to show up, but they never did.

What I love about Douglas Adams' writing is that in all the insane, flippant, flighty madness, he will squeeze in some seriously damning commentary. He doesn't belabor any point, he just slings his arrows and moves on, downing a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster in the process.

message 16: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 08, 2015 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Peggy wrote: "I've read about 15% and find it very entertaining so far. Not laugh out loud funny, but it definitely makes me smile. I really liked the part in the beginning about people on earth being unhappy an..."

I love this part about people being unhappy on earth and it having something to do with small green papers flying around, too, Peggy! The book does make me smile.

I remember the Don't Forget Your Towel challenge!

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15362 comments Lynda wrote: "What I love about Douglas Adams' writing is that in all the insane, flippant, flighty madness, he will squeeze in some seriously damning commentary. He doesn't belabor any point, he just slings his arrows and moves on, downing a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster in the process.
"

I think this is exactly what so many people find great about the book Lynda. I think I was perhaps expecting something a little more serious but maybe I should just accept that most of the book is a bit silly and not think about it too much ;-)

message 18: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 09, 2015 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I agree with both of you, Lynda and Peggy. I am just enjoying the ride since there is no way to anticipate what is around the corner.

(view spoiler)

I am glad this book has a humorous slant to it.

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Sarah wrote: "I believe Towel Day is towards the end of the month so it's the perfect month for reading this book. I think a couple years back Rusalka based a monthly challenge on it."

Indeed!

Mariab | 3059 comments Lynda wrote: "What I love about Douglas Adams' writing is that in all the insane, flippant, flighty madness, he will squeeze in some seriously damning commentary. He doesn't belabor any point, he just slings his arrows and moves on, downing a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster in the process..."

So true!!

message 21: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 14, 2015 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments (view spoiler)

I also thought it was funny when the alien described "buzzing" to Arthur.

Vicki | 1098 comments I listen to this narrated by Stephan Fry. Lots of chuckles. Loved how he would go off tangent all the time never knowing how relevant it might end up being. My brain imploded trying to understand the improbability drive. Particular favorites: (view spoiler)

I'm definitely continuing the series just a little disappointed my library only has the first and fifth one on audio. The fifth is narrated by Martin Freeman , looking forward to that.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Exciting that it's narrated by Stephen Fry. He has a good voice for audio books. Martin Freeman too - he was in the film wasn't he?!

Vicki | 1098 comments Sarah wrote: "Exciting that it's narrated by Stephen Fry. He has a good voice for audio books. Martin Freeman too - he was in the film wasn't he?!"

Yes, he played Arthur Dent.

Lynda | 836 comments Narration by Stephen Fry wouldn't be great. After having watched the movie a couple of times prior to my recent trip through the series, it was Martin Freeman's voice in my head. (Honestly, I can't imagine a more perfect casting for Arthur Dent). I really liked the whole series...and wish it had ended with Adams' last book, I really don't recommend the 6th book, And Another Thing.... For me, all the magic was gone.

Teanka I've just started to read it. I admit that it's funny, just not my cup of tea. But I've smiled many times and it's very quick to read. I'm a bit sad because of the Earth's fate, though :) .

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Happy Don't Forget your Towel Day!

Diane  | 90 comments This is one of my all-time favorites. A funny and quick read. I read it the last time when the movie came out but never got around to seeing the movie.

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Don't forget to report your read in the reporting thread if you haven't already done so, so I know that you have read and discussed the book and I can give you a badge.